Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although, we live on the east coast I have found a love of new mexico green chile due to my wife being from there. Unless you are from the south west, you may not know what I am talking about.

Anywho, this year I mail ordered my big jim, sandias and Newmex seeds and began to start them under artificial light in Feburary. BO-BO came to us in April at 9 weeks and has been adjusting quite well. On a nice day in May (planting season), I tilled up my garden and readied it for my 42 beloved green chile plant. Uder the watchful eye of Bo - Bo I dug, raked, planted my 42 - 3 " tall babies. Just so you know, in this part of the country, you just can't go out to the local home and garden and replace these plants. Now, I had to water them in, so I turned and walked the 50' to the hose real leaving BO -BO to rest in the shade near the freshly planted chile plants. I turned the water on and unrealed the hose and turned to walk back to the plants. As I walked back the 50', the plants looked a little funny. BO-BO was laying in the shade calmly, but as I approached my plants, each one was plucked from the ground. UUHHGG!

They say that animals do not know spite, but I beg to differ. Anyway, I did salvage about 30 plants and promptly went to the home and garden store for 50' of chicken wire. To date, the plants have been safe and Bo-Bo now 4 months old has not really been interested in getting into them.

KB

·
Registered
659 Posts
BO-BO said:
Although, we live on the east coast I have found a love of new mexico green chile due to my wife being from there. Unless you are from the south west, you may not know what I am talking about.
This story breaks my New Mexican heart! :cry:

Green chile (AKA "the crack of the southwest") is my lifeblood. When I went to NY recently I was getting the "DTs" after only 3 days without any green chile. Every Friday morning, the CEO of my company sends out for breakfast burritos for everyone... with green AND red chile.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tried to plant vinca last summer under the watchful eye of Dexter. Well, by the time I got one in and moved to the next, he had ripped the 1st one out of the ground and was running around the yard with his bounty. He would return long enough to rip the rest out.

He didn't bother any other plants in the yard. If they don't see it going into the ground, they don't know that it can be pulled out of the ground.

I wish that I could train them to remove weeds!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahaa remove weeds......now that would be awesome!!

Bo-Bo does just what my kids did when they were small,
i'd plant they pull it up to say "mommie i have a plant for you" while i was planting more plants

peanut? well she thinks she is the Master Gardener here and lets me know when our houseplants need watering or arent' doing too well and need more attention
Max? he just watches usually giggling like MUTLEY

BO-BO is ONE HOT DOODLE!!
(to B0-b0's parents, sympathy is under S in the dictionary but laughter is right here) :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chas,

I actually do well with the chiles I grow. They usually have good flavor. I just can't seem to get them big. Our growing season is only from May - Sept. We have had them shipped from Hatch, but it gets costly.

KB

·
Registered
659 Posts
BO-BO said:
Chas,

I actually do well with the chiles I grow. They usually have good flavor. I just can't seem to get them big. Our growing season is only from May - Sept. We have had them shipped from Hatch, but it gets costly.
The farm that used to ship green chiles to my family and friends back east stopped doing it because of the rising cost of shipping and handling. If I find a cheap source, I'll send you their contact info.

A funny dog/chile story: I have a friend in a small city in Russia and I sent him some fresh, locally prepared, green chile beef jerky last year. He thought it was for his dog and he fed a bunch of it to his Dachsund.... AYE DIOS MIO!!!!

http://www.newmexicanconnection.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts