Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I do happen to live in an expensive part of the country (not by choice-- this is our military duty station), but I am shocked at how expensive it will be to spay Molly at our vet. Over $300! Is this along the lines of what everyone else is paying? My last dog was a shelter rescue, and the spay was covered.

<sigh> I had no idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We are in Massachusetts. Amanda's spay was almost $400, which included a microchip. The vet gave us a high and low ballpark figure, dependent on how the surgery went. Hers went routinely.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Yikes is right!!!! :shock: It was $345 to neuter Raleigh...and I thought the spay fee was around $500! :shock: so maye you're getting away cheap???
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just called the SPCA, and they charge $125. I wonder why the disparity? Any reason why I should use my vet instead of the SPCA? The vet's low figure was $340, high was $400. I can't even imagine paying $500!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Raleighs fee included a 'routine' overnight stay, and a lampshade collar...maybe you can non-chalantly ask your vet's receptionist about the disparity, and go from there....good luck!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We joined petsmart's vet partially because the monthly fee included covering the neutering. We pay ~$25/month and we had to stay on the plan for at least 1 year. It also covers shots and routine office visits (meds are extra). We too live in a very high cost area and when I called vets it was going to be $300-400 to neuter him!

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo's neuter cost $160, including $30 for a checkup beforehand since it was the first time we had been to that vet. our initial vet wanted $300+, and that seemed expensive to me. he did NOT have to stay overnight, nor did he need the lampshade, and we didn't purchase any pain meds or anything like that. the vet plucked his ear hair for free while he was under.

-em

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
WOW...I am aghast at those prices. Obviously I live in a depressed area....I paid well under $100 for Jonah and my vet is one of the more expensive! Yikes! Come to Youngstown and see Dr. Allen!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yipes - Now you've got me worried! Dante goes in for his neuter on Tuesday and I never even thought to ask the price. They are not planning on keeping him overnight though.

I think my vet tends to be very reasonable so hopefully we'll come in well under $300. I'll let you know!

Heather

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Erica, yes, you do live in an expensive part of the country, but not all vets charge that much.
Many times the Humane Society or local animal shelter will have spay/neuter clinics that are very inexpensive.
Ask your vet for a breakdown of costs. I found out that the actualy spay (at my vet) was $75, but then they added blood work and IVs and things like that. Now, I do believe that blood work and IVs are helpful and can be a good thing, but have it explained to you...get a second opinion, ask around about low cost clinics.
Also, many vets keep the pet over night and charge...BUT no one is at the clinic over night! So, why not have the pup at home where you can watch her and make sure that she is fine. There is no need to keep them overnight, except to keep her quiet...because they keep her caged. If she can eat food, and drink water, she should be fine to come home.
All of this can save you money.
My vet, even though she charged a lot (total was around $300, and she didn't keep them overnight) was NOT prepared for an emergency situation...so another thing you need to find out is what if something goes wrong? Do they have the facilities and man-power to stabalize her? To keep her as she recovers? To give her special care if she is in seizures? Is there an ambulance service to a major emergency hospital if not? sk all of the questions that you don't want to consider...but that you must. You'd ask questions if it was your child...and you have every right to get a breakdown of costs before you agree to the operation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
We joined petsmart's vet partially because the monthly fee included covering the neutering. We pay ~$25/month and we had to stay on the plan for at least 1 year. It also covers shots and routine office visits (meds are extra). We too live in a very high cost area and when I called vets it was going to be $300-400 to neuter him!
Same with me. And I used them for the final 6 years of my last dog's life. The yearly fee alone is less expensive than what the 2 yearly visits would be, so it's a bargain even if you don't need it for anything else.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had Calvin neutered for just under $100.00 and Curly's spay will cost $130.00 without an overnight stay. That DOES include the optional "long acting pain injection". They recommended I wait until May since she had her first heat in March. Does that make sense? Does it matter?
Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we changed vets ...anyway our vet charged $240 but tht was due to prescreening testing we had due to max being ill beforehand otherwise it would have been $200 ...the average price. Max did NOT stay overnight, no cone as he left area alone and no pain meds.

there are somethat try to charge $400 here :shock: whichis utterly NUTS!

to have peanut spayed will be $250 but insurance reimburses us $65

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bailey's was $210 for a LASER spay. She stayed overnight. I don't know if they used a 'lampshade' on her overnight but she didn't come home with one.

Our vet has a menu-like plan that you choose the options you want.
Spay 140
Laser +50
Pain Meds 20
We opted for the 3 above.

We opted OUT for the following options:
PreOP Blood Test (around 30-40)
EKG (I think was around 30)
Microchip (I don't remember the price)

LASER
We chose the laser because, as I understand it, there is a smaller incision, the stitches are all internal and do not need to be removed, and I think they said the healing/recovery is faster. This was an easy decision. Other than it being only $50 more, I don't know of any disadvantage.

OVERNIGHT STAY
This is our vet's standard procedure and there's no extra charge for it.
I didn't ask if it was actually required.
I asked before surgery and was surprised when they told me that nobody is at the clinic from 6P - 6A. They said they check on the surgery dogs last thing before they leave and first thing in AM. I thought, hmmm, who would know if there was a problem? I guess the advantage may be that she may be more calm there. She is easily excited when she sees us and more jumping around, etc. so we decided to just go with thier plan for the overnight stay. They've been doing this for many years and I expect they know what is best. IF I didn't trust their judgement, they wouldn't be doing surgery on my dog to begin with.

Just some observations to consider.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dante came through his neuter today with flying colors. Cost $110.

We did have heartworm bloodwork drawn so we could start him on a preventative. The vet gave him Intercepter rather than HeartGaurd as she said she has treated some poodles that didn't handle HeartGaurd well. Has anyone ever heard of this?

heather

1 - 20 of 25 Posts