Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off and on since I got Rumor, he's had the runs. We got it cleared up, then 3 days ago, he did 24 hours of explosive diarrhea. Got it cleared u with pepto, ok for 2 days.....now it's back again. I'm giving him yogurt and pumpkin... started tonight with rice and ground beef with pumpkin and yogurt. If he's not better in the morning....guess it's vet time!! He had giardia 2 months ago, but has tested negative twice since then. Does it make a return like that?? He's eating, drinking and playing regularly and is happy and oh so loving. Say a prayer for the little guy, ok??

·
Registered
972 Posts
Depending on how he was treated in his previous home and what he ate there, he may have some tummy issues for about a month. It takes awhile for all the bad stuff to get out of their system. Roni had that when he first came, and he is fine now. I would stick with the boiled rice and beef for a few days to settle his tummy down. I hope he feels better

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi Gene
I know you feel bad for him. It is very hard to say what he has eaten prior to coming to you. Things that he ate a month ago could be still upsetting his stomach. If the diarrhea is that bad and he stops drinking, I would get him ot the vet. There is a pill that they gave Star once and it cleared her up quickly. Poor baby has a bad tummy. Could he have a sensitive stomach to the food he is on?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Awww... I bet he's freaked out by the explosive diarrhea. The one time Charlie had this, he would jump and try to run away from it. It was rather comical but still...

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. I would keep him on the bland diet you outlined for a couple of weeks and then gradually add in the food you intend to keep him on.

If the diarrhea continues, then he needs to go to the doc. I hope he gets better!

Deb

G

·
Gene, I would bet money that it's the Giardia rearing it's ugly head. That is how it works, explosive diarrhea sounds right. According to what I have read, you need 'at least 3 samples to be negative in a 7- 10 day period.' It is very hard to detect the cysts and they will not be in every part of the poop or even in EVERY poop, thats why they say at least 3 samples over that short period of time. The vet may just assume it's back and give another round of Flagyl...poor Rumor. The Giardia causes gas and a distended abdomen too.
And wash your hands well, because humans can get it (and it's not fun, I know from experience :oops: )

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll call the vet in the AM and at least take him some "gravy"! :shock: How......I don't know yet.....catchers mitt maybe...... :roll:

He was on science diet....we've weened him to canidae all stages...

G

·
Gene,

Maya had very bad poop on Canidae. Not explosive but runny all the time. He could be sensitive to that too. Whatever it is I hope it's figured out soon and the lil guy is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ooooh, poor Rumor, poor Gene!
It could be so many things. And often you can't find out from a stool sample unless you are lucky when you get the sample.
(I use a plastic spoon to get the liquid kind, just so you know...)
When my pups have had that, I treat first for worms, then coccidia (any time they have been exposed, you get that in your yard and you always have a new bout of it sometime).
For worms, you can buy Safeguard (for cattle) online, the liquid kind only...and give it to him (and the others because they pass it back and forth) at 1 cc per 4 lbs of weight.
For coccidia, you need to give Albon. You can get that from the vet (of course they will want to see Rumor and won't give it unless he tests for it.)
One time I had a whole litter that had very explosive poop...no tests were helpful, the pups' temp was high and I had one very lethargic pup. I took that one in to the vet who confirmed that "something" was going on...and assumed that a good antibiotic would help. He gave us enough for the entire litter, it was Clavamox. Well, it cured them all.
I know that many people like holistic methods and to work with foods...and I agree...but when they are really sick, I combine the two. I give antibiotics or dewormer AND a bland diet...and, of course, lots of liquids.
Good luck!

·
Registered
670 Posts
i love that people dont hold back in this forum. we need to know this stuff and its so honest here. :)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Rumor
A trip to the vet for sure just to be safe.
the shelters do not have the resources to feed the best quality
and it could be left over from that.
Denver has bouts once in a while and we always go back to chicken and rice or beef with rice for a few days with a little pumpkin just like you are doing....................

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after being up every two hours with Sir Poops-a-lot....we've got a vet appointment at 2:15. Except for the first bad episode at 2am....he warned me what was coming. He is still drinking, playing, loving sleeping, so once we get this "bad spot" out of the way, all will be well. Let's all pray it's before the holidays! :wink:

I was just re-reading his medical history from the shelter. He was a mess when they got him, scabby ears, infections in them, matted and "crusty" and he only weighed 46#!! :shock: He was up to 57# when I got him, we'll see how he is today. I think it's probably going to be a little less with what he's going through now. It also said he tested neg for giardia 3 times after his positive. We'll know more today.

Sorry so long....I just love this little guy,,,,please say a little prayer for him!! :oops:

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have seen that look too many times. The vet has stronger pills for diarrhea and I am sure that he will say to stick with bland food. Star was on bland food for a week when she had the diarrhea problems. She ahd a problem with one of the lamb and rice foods, but she is fine with the canidae lamb and rice. Give that sweet boy a hug.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Keep us posted Gene! Poor Rumor - I know the "look" you're talking about. They just look at ya like "I'm really sorry."

Hugs from us!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Gene, poor Rumor he must be miserable. Didn't you just have a lot of water in your back yard. Could he have ingested some and maybe be reinfected with the Giardia? When my golden puppy, my beloved Gracie, came to us with Giardia, we had to treat ALL the dogs, and be extra vigilant with poop patrol so that we didn't get a reinfectionn. It is just a thought.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rumor seems to be the one that didn't partake in the massive water bowl that was once my back yard, ow an ice skating rink! :shock: If it is the dreaded "G"....I hope the others don't get it. If he does I'll be begging for advice on how to chip runny poo out of the ice! Maybe when my family comes on Christmas day we can play the "Who can collect the most frozen poo out of the ice?" game....sure to be a new family tradition for years to come!! :wink: :lol:

Sorry for that....didn't get much quality sleep last night....glad I'm off (in more ways than 1) today.... :oops:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh Gene, I hope Rumor feels better soon. You're being such a great dad and Rumor sounds like such a sweetie despite all he's been through. Poor guy! He just senses you'll take care of him. Good luck at the vet and hopefully all will be on the mend by Christmas! Cali sends woofs and kisses!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts