Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our Labradoodle has yeasty ears (with smelly, brown gunk - one ear is worse than the other). We have tried using two types of ear wash to clean it out (CleanEar, and MalAcetic Otic) - but neither seem to make a huge amount of difference. We also pull the hair out of her ears when she will let us. It must be itchy, as she scratches at her ears every now and then.

She has a good diet of natural products - for breakfast she usually has a bone of some sort (chicken frame or beef bone), then for dinner she has a mix of beef mince, vegetables, sometimes an egg, yoghurt, sometimes sardines, and cod-liver-oil a few times a week (seems to have stopped her flaky skin). Anything else she eats are just treats - dried pigs ears, and some dried packet food (not as part of her diet - just treats). She also sometimes has puppy-milk (lactose free).

Our breeder has suggested a water/vinegar solution (6 parts water to 1 part vinegar) - filling her ear up with it and cleaning it with cotton buds.

They have also suggested using a product called Masaleb Shampoo all over ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 001+113371 )

I have also read about the Alcohol/Boric Acid/Gentain Violet solution, which I might try as well. Although this is similar to the MalAcetic Otic I have used, but with Gentain Violet.

I have also tried to find a probiotic product (such as Nzymes - http://www.nzymes.com ) but can't find anything here in Australia.

Anyway - has anyone here actually used any of the above solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Kim :)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome Kim and Cino! Oh, she's a cutie!!!!
Sorry to hear of her ear problems....our Lab Molly has the same problem periodically...when this happens we use an ear wash from the vets called Virbac Epi-Otic, and squeeze in Butler Otibiotic Ointment after the ear cleansing...
We have to clean her ears daily until the infection clears up...after that it seems she dosen't get another infection for quite a few months...try to stay away from any commercial dog food that has yeast in it....Cino could have an allergic reaction to it that causes her infections...good luck!

Kathie, Raleigh & Molly! :D :twisted: :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI KIM...i am wondering if you called your vet about her ears???
I used Otomax for Max in past with an infection but it is ONLY available via vet.

I would call just in case as you would not want this developing more.
Maybe i am just a worrywort but someone did post spending $245 for allergy/ear infections.

I do clean max's ears out weekly with vinegar and water. I just wet a cotton ball and wipe them. I am sure others on here will have more details on possible food allergies contributing. But doodles ears are sometime prone to these infections. They just can't be left alone is all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies! :)

Yep, our vet got us using the MalAcetic Otic solution (as well as the CleanEar) - maybe we should use the MalAcetic Otic solution daily - the Vet said weekly should be fine, but maybe we could do daily until it clears up - then weekly.

Our pup doesn't like having the bottles put near her ear, so I have found soaking a cotton bud full of it - then squeezing that in her ear is easiest.

On the website for nzymes there seem to be some pretty impressive testiomonials about dogs never getting ear infections ever again, etc. It's always hard to go by testimonials though...

I'll check that her doggy treats don't contain yeast.

Thanks again,
Kim

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Kim, I just posted on another thread about a product I just heard of from another breeders forum and they were raving about it for yeasty ears. It is called Thornit Powder and you can purchase it from Champion Pet Supplies. It also helps with hair removal in the ears. Good luck :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts