Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old that we are having a time with yeast infections in his ears. The vet said it is probably from alergies, but was wondering if anyone else was having a problem like this.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Chuck,
Welcome! I am sorry that your puppy is suffering with a yeast infection. I don't have any answers...we have never dealt with this, but I understand that if their ears are moist inside, infections can happen...I don't know if that includes yeast...I am sure that when the others get on line, they will have some good advice.
I just ran a quick search and found this...pretty good info:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=1592
Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ear Infections

Ruby just turned 1 year old. I took her to the vet for an ear infection a cuple of months ago. The vet told me that Labs are known to have chronic ear infections, but if we treated Ruby now at her age didn't think it would turn into a chronic condition. We had an antibotic salve for a couple of weeks. Then she prescribed a solution to flush her ears and some drops to dry out her ears daily at first and now weekly. She said that labradoodles has hair in their ears, so it is important to keep them clean. I have also been told that you can use vinegar and water to keep them clean although I have never tried that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My vet said that a yeast infection could come from eating food with grains like corn and wheat. I have been using a food with lamb and rice and we haven't encountered any yeast infections. But, we had ear mites!

Good luck.

Susan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester had a couple yeast infections. He seems to have it under control now. Someone suggested putting his ears up in a scrunchee so they are sure to get a lot of drying out time. We didn't do this so I don't know if that is accurate or just silly looking! :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Keeping your doodles' ears clean and dry will help avoid yeast infections. Yeast are present all the time, but when conditions are favorable (warm, moist environment) they can overgrow and cause irritation and discomfort. Some dogs are particularly susceptible to yeast overgrowth for all sorts of reasons. If your doodle's ear canals are hairy it's important to keep them plucked. This isn't as painful for the dog as you might imagine. Rinsing the ears with a vinegar and water solution can also help because it makes the ph of the ear canal less desirable for yeast growth. In my experience, though, by far the most effective control for yeast is to powder the ear canals (after they dry ) with an anti fungal powder - the same stuff people use to prevent athlete's foot. If your dog is prone to yeast infections, it's important to establish a routine of powdering the ears lightly every few days. It also keeps their ears from getting smelly.

Yeast infections can also become a problem if your doodle is having to take antibiotics for any reason. The "good bacteria" that normally control yeast overgrowth are reduced by antibiotics, so if your doodle needs to take antibiotics it's especially important to keep a close eye on the ears.

One more note: none of this advice applies if the infection is bacterial. So until you are sure you can identify yeast, it's best to have your vet check it before you do anything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Monistat for women's yeast infections work as a superb treatment. Also that gentian violet/boric acid/alcohol solution is great as a flush and works as an antifungal. Another helpful hint is to use powder intended for athlete's foot in the clean, dry ear to counteract the yeast growth.
A diet change to something for sensitive skin might also help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advise in trying to control this problem. This is a great forum!!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
WELCOME! You are correct, this is a GREAT forum!

Because of the hair in poodle-ears this is a bigger issue than with Labs, in my experience. When we took our poodles OFF a (premium) food with corn in it, and put them on chicken/rice food, we stopped having problems.

The boric acid type drops and other anti-fungal solutions sound good. We've used an inexpensive ear drops from the vet or vet supply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts