Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you all know how I've been looking for the miracle product to make Bella's coat more manageable? I think I found it! It's a system by Best Shot. I gave Bella a bath yesterday, used the products and WOW! She feels fabulous! So soft and silky, she is usually cottony and woolly feeling. She looks great, too...very shiny!
These products are unusual in that you do not need to brush them out before the bath. A big timesaver!
I followed the recommendation on a groomers board that said,
-Conditioner first (I used full strength for all products, the bottle says it can be diluted 1:1 if desired)...let sit a few minutes, make sure you get it into any matts.
-Shampoo: the shampoo was great, it felt nice and make her coat feel silky and clean.
-Condition again: I was putting the conditioner on her and the whole 'silky feeling' from the shampoo seemed to disappear...I was so disappointed and kept thinking, darn this stuff is not going to work! But I kept going...
-Remove excess water (Bella did a good job shaking it out herself :lol:
-Spritz with Ultra vitalizing mist. This is a coat finisher and detangler that can also be used dry between shampoos.
-Blow dry: I blow dried her on cool setting until damp, but you can air dry, too.
Immediately, I was amazed! Her coat hung in beautiful, silky, fleece-like ringlets (Remember, she is my frizzy, wooly mammoth :lol: ) I have always loved how her head and ears felt (silky), but the rest of her body was definitely not silky. After her bath, her body almost felt like her ears... and her head and ears were incredibly shiny and silky.
Then I combed her. The small matts (fingernail sized) really do just glide out of the coat like the groomers said. She had 2 larger matts (about 1 inch) on her leg that I ended up cutting because I did not want to hurt her. Combing was much easier than usual, her coat felt 'thinner'. Today when she did her usual dive into the juniper bushes, the branches slide right out of her coat, usually it's a battle and they get tangled and break off leaving pieces buried in her coat.
So, that's my commercial for the day :lol:
I am just so excited t have found this I had to share it with y'all. I know all the poodley, wooly doodle owners will love it, but I bet it works great on all of the coats.
PS: I am very smell sensitive and this has a nice, light, peppermint scent that really dissipates quickly leaving just a fresh, clean smell.
PSS: I am looking at her right now and she is more frizzy today than yesterday, but I think that could be because I brushed her. Maybe if I just stick with combing, she won't frizz as much.
Here is a good price on a combo pack of the Best Shot products and they shipped out immediately.
http://www.dog.com/search.asp
If anyone tries it, post and let us know what you think.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Linda,

So you only partially blew dry Bella? Did she dry free of that musty smell? I hate that musty smell so I wind up blow drying Dexter till he's almost completely dry and it's a pain! I would love to find a product that will help him to dry soft and non-smelly w/o blowdrying!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I only dried her til slightly damp because she had enough :lol: She did air dry on her own with no damp, doggy smell :lol:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Linda
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the link you posted did not work, so I wonder if you could give us more info on this product - what it's called, where to buy, etc.
I have an ongoing challenge with Sadie's wooly thick coat which always seems to be matted. I am to the point of getting her shaved again, but would love not to have to.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if you can actually see a difference in the photo, but she really is shinier and softer:
Before

After

·
Registered
59 Posts
Linda, I just ordered the 3 pack. I can't wait to try to it on Tucker! He hates, hates hates getting brushed out but puts up with it. It takes me usually an afternoon to get all the wooly mats out. I am worried about the summer coming up and had thought we might have to thin his coat out. I will see how the best shot works, maybe we can avoid cutting his hair.... Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Linda
Well, rather than trying the grooming product you suggested, we decided Sadie's matts were just too numerous and thick, so we took her in for a summer "do". I was soooo upset to pick her up and see that she was shaved right down to the skin. She looks like a greyhound with poodle ears! Poor thing. And I specifically asked the groomer not to cut her short. However, apparently the mats were such that she had to cut her that short - so she says anyway. I have used this groomer before and she is usually good.
So - take a lesson from me all of you owners of F1Bs with thick poodlely coats - keep on top of the brushing and matting and try the grooming products.

If I get time later I will post a picture of her new look.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hey Linda - we ordered the 3 pack and I think Dex is due for a bath this weekend so I"ll let you know how it goes. By the way, we really were impressed w/dog.com. The order came so fast and the prices were so good. We got a nylabone for under $3 that cost us $6-8 in petsmart!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Jannie, Donna and Leslie,
I hope you get the same great results! Pictures are always fun! Especially when they are wet and look so skinny beacuse all their fluff is gone!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Linda...

We gave Dex a bath today (he got rolled at the dog park by a very mean dog and the bath was very very necessary) and used the new products and he came out so nice and soft!! And I only used the hair dryer a little bit and he still dried smelling nice and not musty. I didn't realize how dirty he was - he looks almost stark white now :oops:

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Leslie,
I'm glad you liked the results! I gave Bella a bath this weekend and did not get time to comb or brush her afterwards. I did blow dry her though. I love how her coat stays in ringlets with these products even with blow drying. No frizz at all! The ringlets dissipate a little with brushing, so I decided to just enjoy them for a day or two, then brush her. She is so soft and shiny! And I have to say that my little 5y/o son was playing with her and rolling around with her and when he stopped there was a matt on his shirt! So the matts do just slide out like the groomers said!
She goes to the groomer on Wednesday...I'll get to see her eyes again :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG I didn't realize - after the bath I was running my hands through Dex while drying him and some hair slid out - I bet it was some mats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts