Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has invited me to his house out in the country for steaks and Samantha is invited too. When he found out she was a labradoodle he said how she would love swimming in one of his ponds. He has two big ponds. I am not sure about the pond swimming because I would not swim in the water, but I also would not chew rocks are drink from mud puddles. I added my first poll to see how many doodle owners would allow their doodles to pond swim.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Easy to tell it was my first poll I messed it up. Please just reply.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If it is standing water I would be concerned about Giardia. I would not let Tanner swim in water that I wouldn't swim in.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Isn't there a giardia vaccine? Our vet asked me if the dogs would be swimming in ponds and I said yes - so she vaccinated them against something - I thought it was giardia (I'm at work - I don't have the papers with me).

I walk in the conservation lands all the time and it would be hopeless to try to keep Iris out of the ponds...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know if there is a giardia vaccine. But I do know about the vaccine you mentioned. Abbey has that . . . it's called Lepto and protects your dog against germs in streams and rivers and lakes I guess. It used to be part of the Distemper-Parvo vaccine. But since many dogs don't get out in the world it is now a separate vaccine. Giardia germs are found in standing water and as far as I know there is not a vaccine for it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Riley goes in our pond, and it is standing water but we put chemicals and dye in there every year and even I swim in... But I think if they dont swim in it, neither should the dogs...

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
what time of farm, do farm animals spend time in the ponds? if so NO

If it's stagnent water I would not let Annabelle play or drink from it. If it has run off into the pond, where does it come from, could be pestisides and other nasties in there.

I agree, if I would not go in it, I would not let my doggie go in it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
There is a Giardia vaccine and Tanner was vaccinated....It did not work. He still got Giardia and I won't have him vaccinated again :twisted:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
IF it's running water yes.........but standing water in a pond, i'd have my concerns possibly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MaxandMe said:
i'd have my concerns possibly.
Dont be so straight forward. Beat around the bush a little.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhaa We have a 70ft wide creek that is 20ft deep in my yard
as i have a 300ft frontage....its running water so i let them swim in it

HERE in rochester NY many people have either treated their ponds thus chemicals are in it and/or got rid of ponds due to West Nile Virus in the past.

so that's why i'd have concerns...i haven't dealt with giardia but a few like Annie and Tanner have, it wasn't fun at all

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon swims in our small lake/large pond (it's 3& 1/2 acres). It will drain during a rain, but for the most part is spring fed with run off from the field across the road during a rain event. She has never had a problem with anything from our lake/pond and neither has any other dog/human that has swam in it.

Cinnamon had a bad infection as a pup from my sister's home on a huge private lake (over 100 acres) and had a bad case of diarrhea. This lake has a beach that residents swim at not far from my sister's place. I won't let Cinnamon swim there again. Too long of a trip home with a doodle that's sick. (600 miles!) I'm assuming this lake was tested for bacteria but maybe not. I would not go swimming there knowing what I know about the place.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would be concerned. Lepto is a concern especially in the midwest and is transmitted via standing water.

Deb

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
cracker9ball said:
My friend has invited me to his house out in the country for steaks and Samantha is invited too. When he found out she was a labradoodle he said how she would love swimming in one of his ponds. He has two big ponds. I am not sure about the pond swimming because I would not swim in the water, but I also would not chew rocks are drink from mud puddles. I added my first poll to see how many doodle owners would allow their doodles to pond swim.
A yes vote here!! This pond is on a small ranch that does dog training and there has never been a problem with any of the dogs. I also let Dakota swim in the lake where our vacation house is. Unless there is a known problem, I don't think there is that often an issue . . .

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
If the water looks nasty or smells I would vote no. Otherwise I'd let them swim. I also would try to keep her from drinking too much from it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As part of his duties as "goose dog" of our local golf course Bubba has on occasion found his way into one of the many ponds there...with no ill effects that a bath wouldnt cure. He is a dog and enjoys being so as much as is possible.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver swims in places that I do not.
You be the judge when you see for yourself.
That is what I do so................
My vote is Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for your replies. I agree with everyone. I want her to be a dog and do what dogs do, but I also baby her and worry. I agree that the decision will probably come when me and Samantha see the pond. I am scared of her getting sick, but dogs need to be dogs. Dogs can handle alot of things we cant.

Anymore opinoins would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts