Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to pick up Winston next week and he will be about 16 weeks old. I want to take him in to see the vet within the next 72 hours of picking him up. I know that there are lots of shots he will need during his 1st year with rabies, possible blood work and neutering. With all that should I just get insurance?

Chad

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have had insurance for Denver since he was 8 weeks old.
It does not cover the normal things but he was stung by bees at 4 months
and it covered that. The bill was $172.00 This year he cut his foot
and the bill for that was $88.00. I have it for peace of mind and
god forbid should there ever be a major accident he will be covered
where as I might not have the necessary funds just sitting in the bank.
I am all for insurance...........

G

·
Maya has had insurance since I got her. I have it for piece of mind as well. Maya's didn't start right away. I think I had to wait a couple weeks for anything to be covered.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have VPI insurance for Max and peanut

i am calling tomorrow to get it for Beau

·
Registered
462 Posts
I too have VPI insurance. I'm paying $47 a month for insurance on Napa. But, my plan gives me back about $400 a year in annual fees, such as Vet appointments ( 2 a year), vaccines, annual blood tests, and a whole bunch of stuff. On top of that, it continues year to year. So, if your dog develops a chronic problem (god forbid), it doesn't become a previous condition the next year. I almost went with the SPCA insurance, but that was the big difference. You had to pay $88 a month for year to year coverage.

But, I definitely think its worth it. There's a definite peace of mind when things come up. Napa has had a few incidents, which I'll explain probably in a separate post, recently, and I'm really glad I've got insurance! I've already gotten $400 back out of $530 claimed- they take out a $50 deductible for emergency things and I had two, so that was the $100, and the other $30 was little bits off the price I paid for various things, most were under $5 difference. Plus, I live in California, that's gotta mean something ^.^

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have Metropolitan but if I were getting it on a puppy, I would go with the VPI. Mine cost me $50 per month which covers both Tanner and our cat. The VPI is the better deal if you get it before you have all of your puppies shots and spaying or neutering. The advantage of the Metropolitan is that it covers genetic conditions.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have full coveage on Peanut and will drop the well visit/vaccinations off this month ....peanut will be a 1yr old the 29th,

So max and peanut have full coverage plus $2a mo cancer rider
it's $50 or less a month.....i'll be calling today and let you know

they've been around for a long time VPI...they cover alot including obstruction as long as it isn't happening alot, ask underwriters questions right then and there if they don't know etc.

i am going to get coverage on Beau now

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have VPI pet insurance for Boyd. It already paid for itself when he had to visit the emergency vet, well worth the investment!

G

·
Hmmm it is so funny how insurance varies from state to state. Maya has VPI and it is $28 a month with the shots rider. I have no seperate cancer rider as that is covered with the plan. Annmarie I would check when you call cause I asked expilictly if I needed a cancer rider because you had stated in a different post that you paid extra. VPI told me they did away with that rider and it is covered in the regular plan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I called VPI today, they told me general coverage was $28 a month. $50 deductable. They also cover neutering and checkups.

Chad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really wish we would have purchased insurance for our doodle, Toby. Last month he swallowed a fairly large rock. It became stuck in the upper third of his intestines. To make a long story short, having pet insurance would have been great. It cost a few thousand dollars to have the rock removed. Now, we can't get the insurance, due to Toby's pre-existing condition. Who knew that swallowing a rock would count as a "pre-existing" condition?

craig

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm considering pet insurance and again wondering if I should go with VPI or Metropolitan. Chou's already had her puppy shots and been spayed, so that's not an issue. I'm just thinking of accidents or whatever. And she loves to eat things she's not supposed to, so I'd like to make sure she's covered in case that causes a problem.

I see that most of you use VPI but AnnieG said that Metropolitan covers genetic conditions, too.

And does your vet have to participate, or does the insurance just pay up front?

Leslie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With VPI, you pay the entire bill upfront but then VPI reimburses you 90% after the $50 deductable. I think the vet must send them the paperwork but most vets work with VPI.

Chad

·
Registered
985 Posts
Okay, I just insured with Metropolitan Life, the QuickCare Gold 90%. I called them first, because of the hereditary coverage, and they sounded good. The agent discouraged me from getting QuickCare Complete, which covers well visits, because he didn't think that was worth the extra money. He also said that VPI only covers 80% of the lowest price in the area for a particular service. I have no idea if that's true but I thought the hereditary component was a dealmaker, just to avoid any debate about whether or not the issue was genetic or due to an accident. Kristen seemed to be dealing with that with VPI over Napa's situation.

So who knows if it was the best choice, but it's done.

First dog I've ever insured, too!

Leslie

·
Registered
143 Posts
I asked my vet about insurance. She recommended VPI, she said pet insurance companies don't go in the black for 5-10 years, and most of them go out of business before year 10 because of that. VPI has been around for 25 years so they're profitable and stable.

I looked into insurance, but didn't buy it. It's a gamble. I figure, if any emergencies come up, we'll be able to cover the cost. I know to expect some health problem or emergency now and then, but I'd pay about $400 a year for insurance, so what would be more expensive? We'll probably sign up eventually, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts