Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc recently started acting like his trachea temporarily collapses. You know, when they act like they can't get air and they kind of snort? Last night it was quite distressing for him and I tried to soothe him so he could relax. I've had other dogs with that problem before and am sad to see that Doc has it too. For the most part, with my other dogs, it happened infrequently, but Doc's episode was particularly distressing last night. I'll have to keep an eye on him and hope it doesn't happen again too soon. When I took one of my other dogs in to the vet about that problem, he didn't seem concerned and said it sounds like "reverse sneezing". I don't know about that, it seems like they are having trouble getting air when they do it. I did a little research online last night and they can try medication but it isn't always successful and sometimes they can do surgery.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Don't worry...it is called reverse sneezing and is really not dangerous, although it sounds awful!
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/drevsnz.html

I know how frightening it is...but unless your dog is unusual for this breed, I think that you are experiencing the reverse sneezing and not the trechea problem...still, if you are really concerned or it happens several times a day, a vet check might be in order.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jac. That makes me feel alot better. Then I guess my vet DID know what he was talking about! :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota does the reverse sneezing thing too. We were really worried about him and asked our vet about it. He gave us the same answer as Jacque gave you, "Don't worry about it." Dakota seems to go in stages. sometimes he has it frequently and then he'll go for quite awhile without any problem.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't think I ever experienced this problem that you guys are talking about. I think I would be scared to death they were not going to breath right. I'm going to have to do some reading on this. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It is very scary...I have only seen it a time or two...with Bayley...and believe me I was terrified.

It is good that topics like this come up in forums because it prepares people for an event, should it happen in their lives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts