Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when Bodzin went to poop, I saw four small white worms in his poop! I figure these are tapeworms.... but really small compared to the ones we had in my sheep growing up on the farm.
My vet has some Dramzet (sp?) waiting for me for about $35 when I get off work. Is this a good thing to use?
ALSO.... Bodzin has had a sore on his ear that hasn't cleared up since he was at the shelter. I have now decided that it is roundworm. For some reason, I guess because the hair on his ear covered it up (ven though no hair grows on the quarter sized spot itself), the vet didn't say anything about it when I took him in three weeks ago. I thought he had gotten bit and had a scab, but it is definitely roundworm fungus. Any treatment successes with roundworm? I had gotten roundworm from my cat last year and treated myself with a topical cream..... but now I wonder if I need to treat the cat, myself, my husband, and the dog!
My poor puppy~!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear Bodzin has a worm problem. I don't know anything about Dramzet, but. . . .

Once a month I give Nicky a pill called Sentinel, which is a prescription drug I get from my vet. From the Novartis website:

SENTINEL is an oral tablet for the prevention and control of flea populations, the prevention of heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) disease and the treatment and control of roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum) and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis) in dogs.
Here is the link:
http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/cab/sentinel.shtml

Because I've been using this product ever since I got Nicky, we've never had any flea or worm problems. My neighbor across the street had a huge flea infestation this year in her house and on her animals (2 dogs and a bunch of cats). Seems like she is always spraying, bathing, treating with topical ointments, etc. and I don't know if she has ever gotten rid of them.

My vet said to use Sentinel all year round here in SC. It's expensive, but I feel it's well worth the price. I don't buy it online because Novartis (the manufacturer) will not warranty the product if it's bought online. I called the company several months ago to verify that.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh Crikey! Poor puppy is right! Bogie has had his share but not the ones Bodzin had.
We were very careful to clean up each poo and watch that he didn't step in it when he went.
Also, washing hands is extremely important so you don't get it too.

I don't have any advice on the types of meds.......but I'm sure they'll give the right ones.............get started asap. We've been going through this for 3 weeks! Bogie starts, hoepfully, his final dosage on January 9th.........I know it's not easy! Just be really careful with hygiene for YOU!

·
Registered
134 Posts
How old is Bodzin? I plan to use Sentinel too but it comes in packs of 6 and is weight dependent. As Sam is still growing quite rapidly, my vet recommended that I use Advocate, which is a similar product but comes in packs of 3. These products also deal with roundworm and are administered monthly as a squirt on the back of the neck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ringworm... not roundworm. That is what is on his ear. Ringworm isn't even a worm. :( Fungus means more difficult to treat.
argh.
Leah

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leah, hang in there Windex will eventually get over all this even though it must be hard on both ofyou

i don't know any meds

OH tapeworms are FLAT white worms and if youlook closely are rectangular shaped. almost at 1st you'd thing it was rice in their poop
OR you can see them hanging on their posterior end
HOW do i know? when i had a cat Daisey would get them once to twice a year, she got a shot which cleared it up immediately

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to treat my cat for the ringworm too... with this fungal bath stuff I got at the vet. Hopefully the worms will clear up soon... drugs are in the intestines and Bodzin is acting as if he is totally fine.
By the way.... I used MY nickname as my screen name on here.... "windex". My dog is Bodzin and I am really named Leah. Sorry for any confusion.
-Leah

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I hope the meds help Bodzin real soon - we have been fortunate - no worms or fungas for Annabelle

Hang in there Leah - BTW, everytime I see your screen name, I wanna ask if you "do windows" :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
windex said:
By the way.... I used MY nickname as my screen name on here.... "windex". My dog is Bodzin and I am really named Leah. Sorry for any confusion.
-Leah
don't worry cause there's alot of BLONDES on this site! hahaha
some are Smart ones too :shock: 8) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
MaxandMe said:
windex said:
-Leah
don't worry cause there's alot of BLONDES on this site! hahaha
some are Smart ones too :shock: 8) :lol: :lol:
LOL OHHHHH that is TOOOO FUNNY!!! True but,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts