Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home last night and my husband had a portable vacuum out to clean up something behind the bar. I absent-mindedly reached down and unplugged it. Later that night I heard Dakota chewing on, what I thought, was his bone. Shortly, he brought a piece of black rubbery and brassy material over to me. I walked over and looked at where he was chewing and he had chewed the cord of the vacuum in half. If it had of been plugged in, we would have lost him. Our pups are like babies, so be sure to baby-proof your houses. We sure learned our lesson--the easy way, thank goodness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
seazr said:
I walked over and looked at where he was chewing and he had chewed the cord of the vacuum in half. If it had of been plugged in, we would have lost him.
Well... to put you at ease on this, Bandit actually DID chew through a live extension cord last week. He yelped when the 120VAC shocked him, but he is still kickin. It only takes once for these guys to get zapped and they learn to leave it alone.

Kyren is off track from school right now and was doing another task and Bandit was out of his sight for a couple minutes.

I do agree, these guys need to be monitored and precautions taken to ensure their safety...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,243 Posts
Wow, Diane, I understand...I would have been terrified! Good thing you unpluged the cord.
There are so many things that cause worry for us and we don't consider them until our dogs give us a big wake up call.
Our dogs, when they were small pups, chewed through screening under the house (crawl space) and when I found them, they had been chewing on fiberglass insulation! Oh, man...was I worried! I took them to the vet right away, but I don't think that they actually ingested any and everything was okay...I was very cautious after that...noticing every possible problem.
Thanks for the reminder about electrical cords...they are everywhere!
(Keith, I am so glad that Bandit only got a frightening shock, not a serious one.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
Diane, I know how you feel. I asked my son the other day where Lani was (he is 14) he looked in the living room and said right here. After a minute or so I still did not hear her so I went to look. He had not actually seen her she was around the corner and behind a table chewing on the cord to a lamp that was plugged in! Luckily I caught her after only a few bites and no shock. All I could think about is what could have happened! I discovered never ask a 14 yr old where the puppy is!!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top