Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4-1/2 month old doodle, Lani, has begun running in the other direction when it is time to go to bed and even if she gets up at night to go out to go potty. I end up having to go after her and grab her collar. thia has never been a problem. Any suggestions why? I have always given her a treat when she goes to bed. :(

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that she has become a teenager! She is defying your authority...I suggest that you continue to do what you are doing, repeating the same command, tossing in a treat, praising...and being stern enough that she knows that you mean business. I wouldn't let her win...unless of course, you really don't care if she is in the crate or not.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jac. We do care that she goes in the crate, she may be a rebelling teenager but her teeth are still in the toddler stage!!! She tried to run last night even with a peanut butter coated bone, she never turns down peanut butter!! She eventually went in ( had to push her little poodle butt in) and barked for a short while. I guess this is still easier than trying to keep a toddler in a big girl bed!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my goodness! I can just imagine!
Maybe you could have her sit, hold her head and look into her eyes until she looks away and then give her the crate command...and keep doing that until she realizes that you have won.
I wish you luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lisa it is great to read your post and your stories because with Murphy being a month younger than your Lani I know what I have coming. So far Murphy is great about going into his crate when we throw a treat inside. Good luck and please tell me what you do to correct this so I will know what to do with Murphy. I also added a couple new pics to his web page I took them last week. I think he grows daily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I make a game in the middle of the day with the crate. I through little treats in there and make her WAIT to get them... she gets so excited to go in there when she can't! Maybe try really tasty treats to help her get over it!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, I'll try the tasty treat and wait game. Until this weekend she went in willingly with a treat (even w/o a treat). We will see how tonight goes. She is pretty tired we had training tonight and it always wears her out! :lol:

Hopefully Murphy bypasses this phase, chasing a puppy is the last thing I want to do when I need to go to bed.:( Here is to hoping!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jac, Lani has been doing better going in at night, only a little resistance, but now she is barking for up to a half hour before she settles down. I changed treats, I'm now using cheese, for the moment she really likes it. I know she would just prefer to be in the same room as us but the cats hate her, our room is "their place". She will just have to get use to it. Thanks for asking. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know it is that they get top priority, but I fear WWIII will break out in my room in the middle of the night. Our one cat, Shadow, is about 17 lbs., he will charge and go after Lani. He devils her in the crate now at night. I prefer to sleep in peace! :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
My cats used to sleep in our room at night. Then the doodles came and the cats turned up their noses at first and slept on the sofa. Now they sneak in in the middle of the night and we're one big (fuzzy) happy family. Sounds like you've got the crate issue well handled. Sometimes they just go through these phases, I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts