Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering getting a PetSafe Wireless Electric "Fence".

I'm very interested in hearing from anyone who owns one and whether or not they are satisfied.
Also, would love to hear your opinion on this type of system.

Our 9 week old puppy is toos small now, but am considering one for the future. Of course, this system doesn't keep other animals out of your yard, so we'd still be outside with her. But, it would give her the opportunity to run and play in the yard without wandering off into the neighbors yards.

Here is how they say the system works:
Plug in the transmitter in your home. The transmitter emits a 17.5kHz radio signal around your home.. Your pet wears a lightweight receiver collar which "listens" for the signal. While the collar is receiving the signal, your dog is free to run and play in your yard. When he approaches the boundary of the signal area, he receives a warning beep. If your dog does not return, he receives a static correction which is startling but not harmful.

Looking forward to your reply and opinion pro or con.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the wired "Invisible Fense". It is great. Ruby has almost an acre to run and play in. Unfortunately she also has the whole yard to dig up. Our neighbors dog, Bruno comes over to play with Ruby. When Bruno gets tired of Ruby, he knows just where the "line" is that Ruby won't cross. I do wish Ruby would "settle down" just a bit. She will be 2 in January. My brother recently bought a wireless fence. His works good and is portable. The area has to be a circle, so if your yard is not symetrical you have to set the circle for the shortest dimension. I'm not sure what the range is.

Russ

·
Registered
58 Posts
ZMan,

We bought the Petsafe Deluxe system from Home Depot. Myhusband installed it himself. It took him about 3 hours total for an acre of land. The total cost was $300. We rented an auger to dig the line. Very easy to do. We've had it for 7 months and it works wonderfully. You can design it to whatever area you want around your house. If you would like more information from us, please let us know and we can talk on the phone about it. Just let me know. Good luck, It is very easy system.

Kim

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we have the wire system and would die without it!

not sure on wireless, but the correction is the same and the brand is great.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I myself am trying to figure out which one to buy and install for a 2 acre coverage. I am going the "wired" way as I have heard many good things from this forum and few people that have it here in my town.

·
Registered
689 Posts
We have one for the boys and its great. Hubby also installed it himself. The one drawback we've experienced recently is that we had over a foot of snow and the signal was insulated and weaker. We tried turning up the sensitivity but that didn't work. Archie found a spot break through and ran to the neighbors (I'm SO glad they are NOT across the street). Finally hubby just followed him to his escape route and shoveled some of the snow away. So far we haven't had anymore fugitive situations since that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am considering this kind of fence for my doodle -- how difficult is it to train the dog to know the boundaries? Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We've had an invisible fence installed for years encompassing our 5 acre property. Works excellent for my Great Dane. Didn't work at all for my husky mix.

I got Ginny a receiver a couple of weeks ago and paid invisible fence to come out and train her. This basically just consisted of the guy running her up to the flags and then running back into the safe zone when the beep went off and praising her like crazy.

The electrodes were covered with plastic covers during this part of the training. We were supposed to repeat this for 20 minutes a day for the next four days then take off the plastic covers and do it again to see if she either reacted by running back or got the correction shock.

Ginny practiced this approximately 3 more times the next day with the covers on and then she wouldn't go near the flags. We took the plastic covers off, but I don't think she's ever gotten the correction shock. FYI - you're not supposed to pull them into the zone.

After a couple of weeks of training you're supposed to practice with distractions like throwing her ball through the zone or having one of the kids run along the fence line. We threw her ball through one time and she ran up to the edge of the zone and stopped.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't know when to trust her outside on her own off the training lead, if she won't let us conduct any training by cooperating and getting the correction shock! :wink:

G

·
Our installer for the fence provided a trainer for three sessions along with HIS dog who was used to try and entice Bella to cross the line. The hardest part is really trusting that they are trained. I still worry at times. But she has never gone through. It's possible that Ginny DID get a minor shock even when the plastic was over the electrodes and that was enough to keep her from crossing. Or your training has just been excellent. After all, positive reinforcement actually works better than negative. Eventually you will feel comfortable enough to let her out with out the lead, and then alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts