Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a real a job getting ready to go out in bone chilling cold. Temps here in Madison got down to 14 degrees below zero last night. I took him out at 6AM at -11. It was quick needless to say.

Again at about 10:30. It was a balmy -7 by then. We actually made it up to 4 today(forecast high was -1 :eek: ). Curently -3.

I wore 2 long sleeve T shirts, 2 sweatshirts (one hooded), hat, 2 pair gloves, heavy socks and fleeced lined jeans. If you have ever taken a walk in minus 11 weather, you know what it's like and the time it takes to get bundled up. And it is an art to get ready without getting over heated.

"Hey Dad, looks ok to me!!! Why are waiting so long to go out?" "Whatta ya mean poop and in? It sunny out!!"

Fully clothed, Marley in his super cold weather Muttluks, ready to go. No outside pics..too cold to take gloves off!!!
[/img]

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Where did ya get those boots?? We got Bogart a pair and they fell right off! We could use a pair of those..........our weather here in Michigan is bad like yours. Tomorrow.....no day care so I'll be walking him in sub zero temps too...........QUICKLY!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have alot of respect for you! Our high only got up to 4 (with a windchill of -20) and I did NOT take Charlie for a walk. He did his business in the yard and was back at the door within minutes. Usually he is restless if we haven't been on a long walk but he must understand today.

Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 15 and I've resigned myself to a walk but NOT our full hour - probably 30 minutes.

I wear heavy duty long underwear, both top and pants, my ski/snowpants, a heavy fleece jacket, heavy smartwool socks, boots, winter coat, balaclava under my hood, winter gloves with liners.

Charlie will be wearing his fleece-lined muttluks. :) He's not too fond of them but tolerates them. I don't use them unless its REALLY, REALLY cold or we have fluffy snow that will imbed in his fur.

If I don't post by late afternoon, you can assume we've frozen somewhere on our walk...

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
great pics ! love the boots, do they stay on well, I've read some have problems with them. Are there diff types of booties that some do stay on better?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Marley is wearing the same boots that Charlie has. They are Muttluks and work very well. There is a velcro strap that must be pulled tight to keep them in place. The sock part of it comes up pretty high to protect in the snow. The ones we have our fleece lined for warmth. I know they make some less expensive ones but I felt if it was cold enough to need boots, Charlie would need the fleece too.

Deb

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, those are Muttluks. They are available on line (just google it) as well as pet stores. They are kind of pricey, (thirty five to 40 bucks) and we only use then when it is real cold out. But as you heard, below zero temps...ya gotta do something, that is just too cold. I went out back last night and you could hear the wood on deck just make "popping" noises as it contacts it the extreme temps. Kind of eerie. But it is peaceful, and I enjoy the quiet on nights like that.

The Muttluks stay on fairly well, after a little training. Bec usee loves to unstrap the velcro and then play keep away with it after he gets it off. He succeds from time to time. We really only use them when its super cold.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
haha...Marley looks so cute in his boots!!

You are brave - it was 10 deg here a few mornings last month and the morning walk was painful.

I know what you mean about it taking so long to get ready to go - in the summer I pretty much throw on a pair of shorts and am ready to go...now it takes 5 extra minutes just to get dressed.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Ohh Brrrrrrrrrrrr! I am such a wimp when it comes to cold. Those temperatures sound dreadful. I grew up in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, but have lived most of married life in areas that seldom get much below freezing. It's supposed to go down to 25ºF tonight and I need to go out and cover some tender plants in the yard, but have been putting it off while I read on the forum! I guess I'll just go do it!

Love Marley's boots! :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the summer I pretty much throw on a pair of shorts and am ready to go...
HMMMMM...Don't know about you Leslie, but in the summer I usually already have a pair of shorts on in the house. But that's just me. To each his or her own!!! :oops: :eek: :eek:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
HMMMMM...Don't know about you Leslie, but in the summer I usually already have a pair of shorts on in the house. But that's just me. To each his or her own!!!
haha...I'm referring to getting out of bed and throwing on a pair of shorts :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Love Marley's Muttluks!!! At Eagle Lake, where our vacation house it, we get to around 10 below so I know what you mean about bundling up. where do you find fleece lined jeans??? The only way I can manage outside pics is to quickly take my gloves off, click-click-click, and get the gloves back on!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know what you mean about bundling up. where do you find fleece lined jeans???
Diane, The fleeced lined jeans are fantasic. Really warm and so comfortable. I have a pair of flannel ones that I thought were good before these, but the fleece makes it so much better. They come in womens and mens sizes. Here is the link.

My wife says don't delay. While it's still winter out, the selling season for these is winding down. Kathy is an inventory manager at this company. They carry them every year, so if you miss them you can get them next year.

And in another shameless plug, check out the dog stuff section. Lots of cool stuff for our doodles there to.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...s2/womens_pants/34018.aspx?feature=Product_11

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...f/andmore_dogstuff.aspx?navlocation=dept_left

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bogie finally fits in his fleece coat. Think we'll have to bundle up today too! :roll:
Minus 10 windchills.........it is so freakin' cold!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i swear it takes me 15min to put on all MY winter gear hahhaaa the only thing showing is my eyes and nose when i take them out in these frigid temps!
it's the dry windy cold temps here now..........or what i tease and call them
"artic tundra" weather

this morning all 3 doodles did they pee and ran back to the door hahaaa

·
Registered
659 Posts
MaxandMe said:
"artic tundra" weather
I'm very familiar with the Upstate New York "snowbelt" weather. I went to college at SUNY Oswego, 90 minutes east of you, on the shore of Lake Ontario. BRRRRRR.... -40 wind chill factor..... 10 feet of snow in the streets until late April.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It's been cold here in KS too. I just got back in from a walk and a little game of fetch in 21 degrees F weather. This is the warmest day in the past week. I'll enjoy today and tomorrow. Tuesday it's back in the deep freeze for a few more days, along with a "wintry mix" or so the weather people say. That means ice to go on top of the snow and the cold. Yuck!

Oh well, it's winter and it kills off a few more of the bugs. Cinnamon was glad to get out and play today though. She didn't want to come in when I did. I'm ready for a nap!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
like i said....i am going to either harkers island nc for retirement or will on a houseboat in thr tropics with my doodles of course :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Small world Chas. I graduated from Oswego myself. Tons of snow up there..from the lake. But the lake keeps it a little warmer too. But that warmth dumps the snow, as you said by the feet. Speaking after coming in just now after a quick walk with Marley at zero degrees already at halftime, it's a hell of alot colder here than Oswego and or Buffalo, my hometown. Cold, yes, but at least I don't have to shovel it!!! But I used to enjoy that too.

When you say New Mexico, people do not equate cold weather with it. I knew it got chilly but that cold. Wow, stay warm fellow "Laker"

·
Registered
659 Posts
Maddjaxx said:
When you say New Mexico, people do not equate cold weather with it. I knew it got chilly but that cold. Wow, stay warm fellow "Laker"
Well, they only hear the "Mexico" part. Most "Muricans" don't even know where NM is, much less that we are at the tail end of the Rocky Mountains. Those pretenders up in Denver call themselves the "mile high city". Albuquerque starts at about 200 feet higher than that so our climate is true High Desert.

Re: Oswego, I attended SUNY Oswego 1974-77 and then transferred to a CUNY school. I lived in one of the Lakeside dorms, then rented the upper floor of a house off Bridge Street.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts