Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious if this is a breed trait?
I used to have a border collie mix. As sweet a dog as she was, if she got out, she was a goner and it was a chase game for an hour.
Layla last week managed to unlatch the gate to my yard (smart doodle haha). When I went out to let her in, I saw she was not there.
Right away I ran to get my coat and shoes and thought the running around and name yelling was on.
I came around the front and she was just sitting in my front yard with this funny look on her face. She was all excited jumping around like she tricked me and I had to come find her. :wink:
Will your doodles run away or stick around too? I'm just glad she didn't see a cat or squirrel, or even a little kid to play with. I think she would have ran to them.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon was an explorer when she was younger, now she sticks pretty close and she knows her boundries, even on family visits. A fence isn't needed for her now, but it's for my peace of mind to keep the wild animals from her. She's 3 yrs old now though, not a youngster anymore.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie will run, has run, and can't be trusted not to run again! The "best" one was when she ran to a frozen pond last week. I just stood there and thought if that ice cracks, I'm not going in after her.
She's so hard to figure out 'cause sometimes she'll just go out and do her business and other times she's off! Ugh, must do leash 100% of the time!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The couple times that Uma has gotten off her leash (or I was dumb enough to trust her) she's sprinted away....it's all a big game to her, but it's taken a few years off my life.

I think if I didn't go after her, she'd come back, but it's too dangerous on my street.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't think that Tyke would run very far - she is a bit of a fraidy cat, but if she saw a squirrel or something else to chase, I'm afraid she would take off after it in a heartbeat! I have learned that when I want her to come to me, rather than chase after her, I actually run away from her, and she follows me. :roll:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I think any dog, regardless of how well trained they are, will take off if they see something that intrigues them, it is their nature.

You might want to put locks on your gate since Layla has discovered how to open the gate

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Funny you bring this up...

So last Friday after I was distraught having Dex have his surgery...I let Kirby go out back to go potty. I didn't see him so I went to check on him...the gate to our fence must have been loose and I see it wide open. I immediately panic, get my shoes and go looking for him. I see him down the road on a neighbor's front yard. I start running towards him and then stopped and yelled "Kirby come". He came immediately back to me (he looked all happy - tail wagging) like it was nothing. I don't know what he would have done if I didn't see he was missing. So I fear he would run away (but I hope he just went for a walk and would eventually come back).

I think Dex would go exploring too. However I have had him off leash and he will come back when I call him (after playing around "catch me if you can" for awhile).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Samantha yanked the leash out of my hand and kinda listened but not real well, if there is a distraction (kid, person, animal) she would be off after it/them I think. I take her out to this big field off leash and she always listens real well, but there is no distractions. I think with training you could easily have a doodle that would look to you for permission before running off. These dogs are as smart as any dog I have seen. Its all in the training!

Sit! See how well it works.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dexter gave me a scare a few weekends ago.

He woke me up for his morning constitutional, and I was half asleep...so I thought I had him hooked on his leash, but he really wasn't. I opened the front door, and it took him a few seconds but he (and I) realized he was FREE!!

So he spent the next 15-20 mins running from yard to yard...it seemed like an eternity. It was allllll a game. I knew he'd try his best not to get caught by me, but I also KNEW he wouldn't "run away"...and he didn't.

Luckily I live on a dead-end street that's about 8 paces wide....and it was 7am, so there was little threat of cars...but that would have had me panicking.

He eventually laid on the lawn of my neighbor across the street, and stared at the house (Come get me!!")....I stood at the front door with cheese, he eventually came for it, and I grabbed his collar.

Recall is NOT one of his top 10 talents.

Lesson learned: He'll play 'chase' with me, but will not run too far away from me. But what a way to wake up on a cold morning.... :shock:

·
Registered
148 Posts
My husband lets Rosie off leash at the beach when they walk at night. He calls her and then runs in the opposite direction. The lab in her can't resist the chase and that is how he gets her to come back if she doesn't come when called. Rosie is pretty good about coming when called at the dog park. If she doesn't respond we put on her leash and go home. We use the "chase the mommy/daddy" trick at the dog park, too.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The very first week we had Gus (remember he was rescued at 4 months old) we "escaped" from our fenced in yard. He didnt really "escape" in a Houdini trick, he was just skinny enough to walk right through the fence. Silly us thinking 4" space was small enough to contain him. We were inside, he went straight to the front door and pawed to come in. what a good boy.

Both of our doodles do well off leash at the park or in the forest, but it took a lot of work for Hershey. Gus' recall has been 100% since day 1, and that includes when we changed his name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ginger jump the fence not to long ago. She wonder down to the neighbors. She not allow out in the yard unless someone is with her. My yard is near a busy street so i am scared that she going to get hit by a car. When i called to her she came right back and look at with with those eyes like Did I do something wrong. So this summer when the weather breaks we are putting a 6ft fence up. So hopefully that will keep her in the yard

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie is not a runner. If the gate was open, he might leave the yard to do a little exploring but he would not take off. He is a mama's boy and sticks close to me.

I think there are a couple of factors. One is the dog's nature and one is whether or not he is trained or used to being off-leash. Since I regularly take Charlie out of the yard off-leash, it is not such forbidden territory.

Deb

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie is still very young (6 months) so I can't trust him to not run away. But, he does his "Ha-Ha, You can't catch me" routine as opposed to running and not looking back. 2 of my Huskies, on the other hand, used to bolt and keep running in a straight line until they couldn't run anymore, typically covering 10 to 25 miles in a day before they were rounded up.

I expect that by the time Ozzie is a year and a half, he'll be stuck to me like glue and not run away. (Famous last words?)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When Layla was too small to run fast enough to escape, I let her off the leash in the front yard to get her used to it, and I would say "no" when she went to far.
She still can't be trusted when people are around, but when we go for "car rides", I always look out, and if no one is there, I just let her out without a leash and she goes to the car. This way she stays used to the yard.
She once got off the leash on a walk, and ran around for me to catch her and didn't listen. If I run though, she will follow. She'll also take off if she sees another person or dog.
On the husky note, my friend has one. We had him and Layla playing in the park. Hadji (the husky) saw another dog far away and started running. Layla chased him. There was no stopping them. The chase was on haha :roll:
I am also going to fix the latch on the fence. I'm sure she won't stay everytime.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My nightmare! The way Bogie can run around the yard and not always come when called....I'd be terrified if he was free! He's only 5 months.......and I'm sure he'd love the game of try to get me!
I live on a street that's not always busy.....but busier then most. I don't know what I'd do.
I know we're not suppose to chase them because they think we're playing, but YIKES! :shock: It would be hard to just stand there calling him!
Leslie........thank God for Kirby! I think another dog helps! :wink:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have always taught "come" as soon I could. At first, I always reward with a pc. of a biscut. Then a pat and occasionally a biscut. I will carry biscuts awhile afterwards too "just in case". I have, in desperation, when first training Marley, sat down on the ground, put my head in my hands and "boo-hoo'ed". It worked...the game was over as he had to come see why mom was crying.
Tuesday runs in big circles out in the woods, way up the hill, then down to check on me, then down the hill, and then back to me. If I get panicked, I just call her and she comes. I am lucky, but it is my husband's doing, I was too worried to run her off leash.
Now when we walk Marley & Tuesday, there are sections off the woods that I will let him off leash. He pretty much just follows mom, and comes when I call him. But he is still young (5 1/2 months), so I worry and limit where I let him run.

·
Registered
247 Posts
we live near an off-leash dog park that is not fenced, as are many parks here in the city, so it was important that shaia's recall is very good. as a younger puppy, she started playing the 'catch me if you can' chase game, so we began working on recall using food lures right away, starting at like 10 weeks. i'd stand on one end of the park, my boyfriend on the other, and we'd take turns yelling "shaia, come!" and giving her food when she complied. it worked beautifully. luckily, she is so food obsessed that her recall is pretty good at the park. we get lots of compliments!!! :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and peanut for 7 mos were walked off leash in our yard with no problems. And i say BYE and walk fast or run towards house and they come running.
well that changed when Max was hit 17mos old in December and a neighbor gutted his deer leaving the guts in my yard.
sooooooooo mr max and peanut wanted to taste them , refusing to listen, and we had to go inside waiting for them to return :evil:

they've been on leash for 2mos now......and i started doing whistle training
to try to enable off leash runs/walks again. So far it's working and i pray by summer i have a 6ft high fenced in area too.

OH the few times they've taken off, they come back in 3 to 5min, sit at the front door while I EAT a piece of cheese staring at them hahahaaaaaa and then let them in and don't give them any either.

If they come when called or hear the whistle..........they get a treat :D

PS many dogs til age 9 or 10mos will have selective hearing stages.
NOW when they hit close to 18mos they lose the fear factor, another time when they begin to wander even if they've always listened to-date.
they are asserting themself at this older age and can wander time to time.

so for me the Whistle training is helping tremendously

1 - 20 of 66 Posts