Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Lab was trained to give a couple loud WOOFs when I gave him a discrete hand signal. He was a big gentle teddy bear, but he was quite brave and easily frightened away solicitors and other undesirables.

My gang of Huskies were naturally protective against what they perceived as aggressive acts against a family member (especially children) but had no instincts whatsoever when it came to protecting the home.

Now, here in New Mexico we are getting hit with a rash of extremely violent home invasions (they typically force their way in and beat or kill everyone in the house). I wanted to ask if anyone's doodle has ever shown any potential as a protection dog.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've wondered this too but, luckily, have never been in a situation to test it. I think my doodle would bark his head off. I just don't know if he'd actually attack. Probably not since he tends to be a chicken. When we walk and he sees something new or strange, he hides behind me. :)

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yeah I really don't know. They both would definitely bark a lot to alert us. I have seen Dexter get really scared before (was somewhat attached at the dog park) and he went as far as growling at the other dog, but still did not attack back. I have never seen Kirby scared enough to do anything more than bark so I just don't know...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can't see Uma being particularly good at protecting her home. She barks loudly when people walk by our house, but I think it's because she wants to go outside and play.

I'm sorry to hear about the violence in your area. Stay safe.

G

·
I'm not sure what Maya would do. She does bark if she hears something. I am not sure if she would attack though. I would like to think she would.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Perhaps you can train to BRING THE GUN :lol: In Paul Owens book he mentions teaching dogs to growl and scan the area "AS IF" anyone coming into the 'zone' would be in serious danger. Of course it's all bluff :lol: ESPECIALLY with gentle souls like Doodles :wink: Stay safe!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How Scary Chas - do you live in a large city?

Annabelle will bark at anyone or anything that is not "normal" to her, but as far as attacking, I don't see her doing that, she is kinda a whimp :roll:

Sadly in a situation like that I dont think one attacking dog would stop people like that

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
That is frightening! When I lived within the Detroit City limits........I had a Bouvier....and REALLY needed him!
When I moved to the suburbs, I got dogs that always let me know if someone around. My weimeraner/lab looked kinda like a doberman and people respected him........but he was harmless......he had a ferocious bark however..............AND........he bit my crazy, abusive ex.........LOL.......not bad.....but enough to say LEAVE HER ALONE!
My Springer alerted us.....and I think he might've done something to help if we were in trouble.
Like you........I hope Bogie will be somewhat protective but from what I've seen and heard the bark is worse then the bite! I don't think we have a dog that will be ready to be guard/attack dogs.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My Tuesday runs back and forth Barking like crazy at people walking by the house, but if you walk up to the fence her whole body wiggles and she wants to visit. She also grew up with 2 mini-pins which bark ALOT.
I never discouraged it as we are down the street from a major hywy. and have bums/hickhikers checking things out once in awhile. I am also guilty of saying "who's that", when they walk by, pretty much stirring the pot, but my husband works on the road and I depend on my dogs for protection. If someone is walking around looking for trouble, I don't think that they would come in my yard. If they know me, they know my dogs and know that no one will hurt them. I like it that away. :D
They are so smart...if you are close to your dogs, they seem to know what you expect of them.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't think Cinnamon would protect me - I mean, who's going to protect HER!! She might knock them down with her greetings, but other than that I'm on my own.

Now if we get attacked by a killer tennis ball, then I'm covered. :lol:

Seriously, I really don't know what she would do. I really don't expect her to protect me though. She's a pretty big wimp.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
annabelles mom said:
How Scary Chas - do you live in a large city?
I live in Rio Rancho, the fastest growing city in New Mexico and adjacent to Albuquerque, the largest city. (That really doesn't mean much considering I grew up in the Bronx, NY, with a population greater than this entire state!

But, New Mexico is dubiously ranked as the number one state for violent crimes in the US. And it doesn't help that New Mexico is a border state and Albuquerque is the major "sanctuary city" in the Southwest. Combine that with the constant influx of gangs from California and Texas and you can see why one would want some protection. I'm thinking about moving back to NYC where it's safe!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has been blessed with the bark of a much larger dog. If someone came to the door and heard him, but did not see him, I think they would think he was a guard dog. That said, if they see him through the window, they know he is a woose....hides behind me or runs the other way. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I really didn't think Moses (standard poodle) would be any protection since he's a big lovable baby. BUT we had someone smash into our house with their pick up truck a yr ago (drunk neighbor) and when the officer came into the house to talk with us about it, I had to drag Moses off and put him in another room as he wanted to just eat the officer up and spit him out!
I was quite surprised. So it's hard to say what they'll do till they do it. I think they pick up on the attitude of the person coming in and act accordingly. The officer of course came in all stiff and formal and business like which is totally unlike most of our guests.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's funny - Dexter literally says "woof" when he sees certain people or dogs on my little street (my street leads to a dog park, so we get a lot of passers-by with dogs in tow).

Even though it's a very low-pitched "woof", I don't others will find him as fearsome as he already thinks he is. :roll:

PS to Chas - very scary.....unnerving....stay safe, OK?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Our Sadie barks like crazy any time she hears someone approaching the house, ringing the doorbell etc. And when strangers come in she continues to bark at them, sometimes to the point where I have to put her in a bedroom. However, would she attack anyone? I don't think so, but have never put it to the test and hope that I never will have to.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
When I have to drive into the city I take Max with me....he's quite protective of me when we're alone

i love when he scares deliveries guys at the door hahhahaaa
he's big, black and deep bark :wink:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sessa35 said:
Mija is a natural protector...low growls and an occasional bark to "things that appear odd" (including some people :wink:)
I think this is exactly the answer I was looking for! I think when Ozzie is mature he will look like a big escaped, psycho junkyard dog... Enough of a deterrent in itself!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
ChasP505 said:
sessa35 said:
Mija is a natural protector...low growls and an occasional bark to "things that appear odd" (including some people :wink:)
I think this is exactly the answer I was looking for! I think when Ozzie is mature he will look like a big escaped, psycho junkyard dog... Enough of a deterrent in itself!
YUP you can clip him to look like one :D Doodles are very versatile :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has a bark to go with his size, and he barks at literally
anbody or any animal or leaf that dares to go by our house.
He growls at the skunk that visits every night, but he loves everyone once they come into the house. I honestly do not know what he would do
if someone was not invited and came in. He is protective of the cats
and his little dog pal Angel and Jessie(his girlfriend) but he has never been in a situation where he has to protect me. He backs away from aggresive dogs. Who knows?????????

1 - 20 of 38 Posts