Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is my first post to this forum. I have been following it for about 9 months now. It have been extremely helpful to me. I have a 7 month old F1 Labradoodle named Frankie, for which is a big boy. He is not over weight at all just big and long. We just got him weighed and he is at 72 lbs. The vet estimates him around 90+ lbs. Frankie is overall a great dog, but everynight around 8:30 he goes wild. It is more like playing and mouthing if anything, but it last about 15 minutes,, and he doesn't know his own strength, sometimes. The rest of the time he is actually kind of calm and a very good boy. I just don't know what happens at that time to make him go crazy. We usually can get him to settle, by either holding him down, saying settle and rubbing his stomach, or putting him in the laundry room for about 2 minutes. I was just wondering, if anyone else has anything similiar or if there is some other way to settle him down, or if this is just Frankie being a 7 month old Puppy.[/b]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhhahhaa Cheryl ...seems all dooodle owners have the same thing happen. sometimes Max has one in the morning and then again at night. ME? i stand out of his way and he wears himself out in a short time. :D

rubbing Max's belly always calms him down.
Max reminds me of the cartoons "leaps in a single bound, jumps higher than the tallest chair, runs faster than a speeding bullet" ....etc
Actually when he doesn't do this daily I would be concerned something was wrong :wink:
Max is hitting 5mos old and you'll also find many doodles here are of similar size to yours as well. I call them ponies in the making.

G

·
Murphy is 6 months and 55 pounds, I think we are on track to be almost as big as Frankie!

And yes, we experience the same crazy time, usually nightly, where Murphy runs laps around the living room coffee table, up two flights of stairs, back down again, and repeat...he seems almost out of control, his tail is between his leg and he's running as fast as possible! I have heard similar stories on this site! Seems like a doodle trait...but we love it, it keeps us entertained!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
i'm with annmarie...stay out of the way, let him burn it off, and it doesn't last long. if i intervene, it lasts longer. :wink: he's 60# now at almost 8 months, so we still have some growing to do!

G

·
Our trainer calls it the puppy zoomies and advises letting them go and to definitely not crate or punish them for it. It is a way to burn up that excess energy that didn't get used that day. He believes in tiring out the puppies as much as possible. I can't tell you the number of times he said, "A tired puppy is a good puppy." :lol:
A fun but simple way to use up some energy is with a laser pointer. They will chase the light all over and you can just sit, move your wrist a little and laugh. It is too funny!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
while this doesnt help, none of our doodles have ever done what you are describing, but we had a white female poodle years ago that did this every night at 6pm :) it was so funny but we had to learn to plan our dinner parties and such around it!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
cheryl ...the attack mode well let's say Max gets the "settle down" on his doggy pillow/bed with a very firm voice and no contact for a few minutes.

sometimes it can take 2 (ok once in great while 3) tries and he gets the time-out hint. OH I also at times take him out for a short walk as he gets real antsy when he has to go and can act wound up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts