Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem with your Doodle? Zeke seems to think that everyone that comes to the house has came to see him. He is a wild man the first few minutes.. He then settles down and is really good.
Anyone have suggestions? I have put him in the kennel...but once the door bells rings I'm lucky to caught him...I mean he goes into the wild man mode and nothing stops him. He doesn't jump on anyone but just runs and goes nuts..Once in a while he does jump on them but for the most part he doesn't..Need help on this!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is only that way ususally with a couple of my friends.

HOWEVER till recently he got WILD too...I had everyone who walked in raise their knee if he jumped and say NO JUMP and then totally ignore him till he settled.
IF he persisted ...well let's say a few crate trips for 30 min time outs with company over ...well he came to his senses and when allowed to be with us ---- Max then behaves like an angel but is made to sit by my feet for a short while before socializing again.

This did take about 1.5mos to accomplish

G

·
Boyd does the same thing, like Max, he's crazier about some people than others. What I do is either contain him in the kitchen until he settles down, or put him on his leash and make him sit. When we have a lot of people over I ask everyone to stay out of the kitchen for at least 15 minutes and then they can go say hello to Boyd. This has really helped. I also tell the kids to pet him gently under the chin and on his rear - no rough housing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Always a problem for us...

The Dog Whisperer did a show about this just the other day. Cody is usually all over new people so I paid extra attention to it believe me. Usually, the doorbell rings and Cody runs to the door and jumps all over whoever comes through. It is impossible to physically control him. I tried the Dog Whisperer techniques and actually saw an immediate difference. Before I open the door I command Cody to get back in my "calm pack-leader" way. I snap and him and make a "sshhhtt" noise at him. He lowers his head and backs away from the door behind me. I keep looking at him re-commanding him to back off if he approaches as I open the door. When the person comes in Cody still gets excited but the jumping doesn't happen. We command him to sit and he knows he won't get pet until he does. If he stands up again we ignore him and won't pet him until he sits back down. It's worth a try!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts