Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day when I was breeding GSDs, everyone wanted males.
Now it seems most want females. What gives? LOL

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
yea

l went thru a long time like that too, now most are flexible

Personally i prefer a male, i think some people think that female dogs are more maternal ,,like people, that isnt the case normally in most breeds of dogs ,,doodles just love everyone ,i see no difference in the sexes at all
raising leg argument, housetraining hmm,, well train them to go potty where you want them to
Bailey my standard poodle stud, can be in full breeding mode ,i bring him in the house he wont potty on anything EVER,,its all in how they are raised and how much training the person is willing to invest in time, certainly like takes little effort with a doodle if they understand what you are asking

there is no ryhme or reason, i have had times people want only lighter colors, if i have blacks,,if i dont i have people wanting them, :roll: sheesh

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I've been trying to tell people Nancy. Getting them de-sexed early prevents there from being any real differences.

Naturally since I have 4 females and 8 males, everyone seems to want females. LOL 2 of the females are already spoken for, so that leaves me with 2... which is pretty limited. My males range from black to white and many shades and colors in between... so it's a nice assortment and several are showing the longer wavy coats but when people are set on females they don't even want to hear about the males!

Thanks for responding... I was wondering if it was only me... but I've noticed females are generally priced higher than males in most breeds right now.

Anyone else have any ideas for me?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Some times people just get a mindset on which they think is ideal for them. I know there's not much of a difference once they're spayed or neutered.....but I myself still prefer males! I was the same way when I had cats.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've had both and I prefer males, but Cinnamon was the last of her litter and the price was right. I really can't tell the difference in temperment, it's just I've been around males more than female. I guess it's just what you're used to.

G

·
When I was purchasing a puppy I wanted a female because everyone I knew had a female dog and everyone got along great when all the dogs were together. I was just used to females and didn't want to upset the balance. Not saying that a male would have but I didn't want to take a chance. Just my two cents

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Only had a boy dog growing up
and then I got cats, lots of cats.
All the boy cats were nice, all the girl cats were crabby
Easy choice when it came to Denver based on the cat
experience, I chose a male.
Bahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally whether we're talking dogs OR cats I prefer the males.
So I really wasn't prepared for so many asking about females. :shock:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea Maureen.
I have the females all priced the same as the best males. Actually there's little difference in the prices of any of them... 10% difference.

I definitely have my personal preferrences as to which I'd be willing to pay more for based on appearance, personality, and so on but I know that too varies greatly from individual to individual. There is one in this litter that if it made ANY sense at all (which it doesn't) for me to keep a male, I would hold back in a hearbeat. I just haven't got the experience yet to know how to price them according to popular demand in the market.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well....I'm going to weigh in on this even though I have never owned a dog before I got Cooper. After a long talk with my Breeder (that would be the wonderful Linda aka Gracielou) we went with a male dog. Temperament was my top priority. She couldn't have been more right. He has been the most incredible dog and the favorite at the obedience class we attend.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Me? i've always had Male Dogs and Female Cats

Peanut is the 1st female since I figured a female and male doodle would probably get along better in my home with less dominancy issues.
Besides, Peanut picke me out about 4 weeks before I knew i was getting her hahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa

ALSO TEMPERAMENT for me wins hands down as Max was the older black stumpy tailed labby looking puppy i said i didn't want ---hahhaaaa

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This just fits this topic so well I have to share.

:oops: My 2 yr old granddaughter is an animal lover extreme. They have a dog and 2 cats at home, but all are females, so that's what she is used to. When she comes here and sees my Moses, (intact standard poodle male) She is fascinated by the idea that he has "strange body parts" her pets don't have. When he's closely clipped, it's too obvious for her to ignore... so she follows him around checking out his "goods". :oops: We have to laugh at her, and still it's kinda unnerving. So for that reason I guess some people might prefer a female. LOL

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well now I'm down to 1 female and 7 males. I have gotten a deposit on the white female. Sad though 'cause I did have another very nice couple who wanted her but couldn't get here till the weekend. Now I'm hoping they'll either like the one honey and cream female I have left or if they're truly set on white, one of my white males.

Time will tell I guess!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts