Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I just want to do as much research as possible before we get our pup.

I noticed at the dog park, and on some of the sig pictures, that some dogs have "around the neck" collars and some have what looks kind of like a harness that wraps around the body. What is the difference or the pros and cons to these two types.

Thanks for all your patience!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
We use the gentle leader harness on our 5 month old puppy because it stops her from pulling and choking herself. The way it is designed - is if the dog puts pressure on the leash, the pressure is transferred to the chest and the legs instead of the neck. It steers the dog towards you. Our puppy will constantly pull with a regular collar but walks nicely by my side with the harness.

There is also a gentle leader head harness that puts the pressure on the muzzle pulling the chin/head down and towards you.

The harnesses are a great alternative to the choke or prong collars. I highly recommend them!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
after Sabrina had surgery on her neck it was our only
option..

Lucky being a small dog we use one on him at all time s
when he s out of the house..make s for a great handle too
when he get s out of line..

Toby has one cuz her bro and sis has one too :lol:

G

·
I use a slip lead to walk Maya. Like what you see in the vet's office for those dogs that don't bring a leash. Works much like a choke collar. It is the only thing to stop her from pulling. The gentle leader harness wasn't cutting it. I use her harness though when going to the beach or being tied up in my parents backyard. If she sees something she wants to chase she can get out of her reg collar or break it. I feel more comfortable with the harness in those situations.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Our 6 month old Juno wers a gentle leader that does around her nose because we were having severe pulling problems, to the point that she would choke herself. She only wears it on walks and wears a regualr collar in the house. I love it. Since the mintue I put the GL on, she's been an angel.

Uma wears a regular collar, but I think June's previous owners didn't have her on a leash too often so she's not a polite walker. It'll take some time, but I know she'll come around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We started out with a harness because I thought it would be better when Shadow was smaller since we have little kids and didn't want them pulling on his neck. However - it broke his soft hair and was giving him bald spots. So we just went with the regular collar and it worked fine.

We do have the gentle leader (not the harness, but the regular one that attached to the collar) to help teach walking on the leash. but only use it if someone is misbehaving.

Some like a rolled collar rather than a flat one...I think it may just depend on the kind of hair your Doodle has, and your personal preference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am planning on taking Wrigley to obedience training next month, & when I took my last dog there we only used chocker collars for training the dogs to heel - which worked fine for my little dog at the time.

Now that I have Wrigley, he doesn't really pull too much when we walk, but even at 45 lbs or so, he is very strong & when he wants to pull he can pull me a little & I don't want all that pressure on his neck. I've been thinking that getting a gentle leader would be a good idea, but am not sure I should bother if that is not really the way you are supposed to train your dog to heel.

Any suggestions?

G

·
I just recently went with a choke type leash with Maya and it has done wonders with her. The GL harness didn't work and this leash is very thin so it releases faster than other choke collars. There is also what they call a snake choke collar. It is really skinny so when you pop it it releases very quick since it doesn't get caught on itself. My trainer uses it on her doberman.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've been thinking that getting a gentle leader would be a good idea, but am not sure I should bother if that is not really the way you are supposed to train your dog to heel.
I really really like the GL...it has enabled me to work on heeling with Dex. He never minded the corrections with a normal harnass, but seems to dislike the corrections with the GL because he listens and walks next to me probably 70% of the time (we are still a work in progress). It also is so much easier to control Kirby if he sees a small dog if he is in his GL.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson has a harness style seat belt and we find it easier to leave it on and use than removing it and putting it back on each time he gets in and out of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts