Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we got assulted by a total of 6 dogs while on our walk. For some reason, Bodzin is a magnet for dogs to be agressive towards him. He doesn't growl, bite, or remotely act aggressive, but many dogs have attacked him with non-play intentions. He actually laid down when the last dog attacked and I pulled him away. The owners couldn't believe that their dog would act like they did and apologized profusely. Does anyone else have this problem?
He still loves to play with other dogs, but many dogs like to head for his hind legs and privates when they meet him to bite and growl.
Is it because he is so big? He smells funny? Any tips on this? Should I bathe him in something with a different smell?

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia got attacked a lot when she was under 6 months, but it stopped. she still gets picked on and never fights back (she'll flip over on her back to show submissiveness), but now that she's bigger the major attacks seem to have stopped. maybe she is more assertive now?

one other thing: when you're on a walk and your dog is leashed, do you let your dog approach the other dog, who is also leashed? i find that leashed dogs are much more likely to attack (their protective vibe is provoked when they're restrained). i never let shaia "say hello" to other leashed dogs we pass on the sidewalk for this reason.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope

All the dogs were off leash when we were attacked.... and one of the dogs was a tiny wiener dog.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
your poor baby..my Toby is totally non-aggressive toward s people and other dogs..he s 6 mos. now and weighs over 40 lbs..and a little TzeZu put him on his back in the dog park today.. :oops:

but, in the dog park is the best place to get dog s use to other s..they
have their own culture..at my dog park..if a dog become s too aggressive
the owner is kindly asked to remove the dog..and you would be surprised..most of the trouble makers are the smaller breeds.. :roll:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Poor Bodzin! :( Is he okay? He sounds like such a sweetie. :(

Dogs tend to be more confrontational towards Boo too, and when we asked the dog trainer/canine behavioralist about it, she said that's common. She said that dogs are often wary or suspicious of poodles (and doodles that have lots of poodle in them). She said that's because poodles/doodles don't look "normal" to other dogs. (Compared to the wolf look, I think.) And that many poodle/doodle physical characteristics tend to be viewed as dominance/overconfidence.

In dog body language, standing tall/standing on toes is often a sign of dominance. But standing tall is natural for poodles (and some doodles) because they were bred to stand that way. The poodle tail (held higher than normal, sometimes poofy) is often viewed as dominance too, as is their prancing gait/bounciness. Doodles wacky hair is often confusing for dogs too. Dogs will raise their hackles when they're afraid or aggressive, but doodles hair is always standing up!

So when dogs see a doodle, they're naturally wary or suspicious because they're getting all these mixed signals. The trainer said that it takes a while for some dogs to see that the doodle is friendly and harmless. And some dogs just don't like doodles, so just avoid them. Herding dogs and pointing dogs generally don't like Boo, and have been mean to him, so we tend to avoid them.

deepnite10 said:
and you would be surprised..most of the trouble makers are the smaller breeds.. :roll:
Yeah, lots of little dogs have a "big dog mentality". It seems like its common among terriers, who were bred to be tenacious and feisty when pursuing prey. I was walking Boo yesterday and a female daschund (also leashed) saw him and went nuts- barking and lunging at the leash. :?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep

Bodzin is alright.... but I just don't want him to have a fear of other dogs. He is so innocent right now about other dogs and just wants to play with them.
I suppose this is what it is like when you have a child who gets picked on in school by other kids who they want to be friends with :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Is Bodzin neutered? Boyd is the sweetest dog but he becomes very aggressive with the two unneutered dogs in our neighborhood.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
It's possible the other dogs sense extreme submissiveness in him. I've seen it happen at the dog park...a totally overly shy submissive dog comes in and all of a sudden everyone is on him (or her).

He still loves to play with other dogs, but many dogs like to head for his hind legs and privates when they meet him to bite and growl.
I think the going for the hind legs and privates is fairly common (at least for ours)...they are always doing that during their play. Sometimes they will bite at each other too...and sometimes there is some play growling going on (however there is a difference between play growling and aggressive growling. However our 2 always look completely happy during it all. This part of it may be the other dog trying to play with Bozdin. It's tough to say w/o seeing it.

Can you describe the attack a bit? Is Bozdin crying/squealing? What does the other dog do (pin him, growl loudly, etc?)?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bodzin doesn't make a sound and the other dogs took after him like he was steak. They kept at him when he did try to move away. He kind of ducked down because they were smaller dogs except for the labradoodle who jumped him. It was nothing like the play that I have seen him do with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
It's possible the other dogs sense extreme submissiveness in him. I've seen it happen at the dog park...a totally overly shy submissive dog comes in and all of a sudden everyone is on him (or her).
I think Leslie may have it right. I have never seen Charlie behave like you've explained with other dogs. He always gives as good as he gets. BUT I have seen him stand like a statue in the tub or on the grooming table. Maybe Bodzin is showing his fear?

I'd get Bodzin some more play time with nice dogs to build up his confidence. Any chance you are going to the Indiana doodle romp this weekend?

On a related note, I'm a bit concerned that so many off-leash dogs are wandering your neighborhood. If the owners are with these dogs, you might want to ask them to leash their dogs.

Deb

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had the same problem with my Cocker Peche. He always seemed to be the bait for dogs, especially female. He was a dog who never met a stranger, never showed any fear or aggression (except for the carpet shampooer or things with wheels...garbage cans, dollys, radio controlled cars). My brothers female tried to eat him once. He was a constant tail wagger, but for some reason a lot of dogs just didn't like him.....never figured out why. It never stopped him from trying, even after being attacked.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we went to the first doodle romp here in indy with no problems.... I would like to go to the one this Saturday, but I have a birthday party.
Bodzin has a goldendoodle buddy who he LOVES.... and they play a lot.
Boddy only barks when people come near our lawn or in our house, otherwise I have never seen aggression out of him.
I think that the "fear of poodle" explaination makes sense. He does look alert with the tail up and all.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao hasn't been attacked but has had dogs growl at her. She just stands there ready to play. She thinks it is a game. So I keep her away. She would just try and be friends with them.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That is how Tanner was a year ago. He thought every dog wanted to play and even their growling didn't deter him. Now though, at almost 2 yrs old, he is a bit more cautious when he meets new dogs and he can sense if they only want to sniff noses, butts he just moves on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
my Boo said:
when we asked the dog trainer/canine behavioralist about it, she said that's common. She said that dogs are often wary or suspicious of poodles (and doodles that have lots of poodle in them). She said that's because poodles/doodles don't look "normal" to other dogs. (Compared to the wolf look, I think.) :?
this is very interesting - i've heard the same thing about boxers - that other dogs have a difficult time "reading" them b/c it's difficult to determine their expression, and they're scared and/or aggressive towards them b/c they "look" aggressive. this could be a total dog park rumor but i've heard it from a couple different people. i had 2 boxers growing up and it seemed other dogs were kind of intimidated by them. i dunno. these are interesting theories.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Glad to hear that Bodzin is okay! :D
Something that's helped me, and that might help you on your walks, is learning a lot about dog body language. You'll get a better sense of the dogs that you encounter on walks, and whether you need to avoid the dogs, protect Bodzin, let them say hi, etc.

Here are a few interesting articles on dog body language:

http://www.hssv.org/docs/behavior/dog_body_language.pdf
http://www.wagntrain.com/BodyLanguage.htm
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/diagrams.html
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/aggreasons.html
http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

Shaia said:
this is very interesting - i've heard the same thing about boxers - that other dogs have a difficult time "reading" them b/c it's difficult to determine their expression, and they're scared and/or aggressive towards them b/c they "look" aggressive.
I wonder if the cropped tails that some Boxers have can also be confusing to dogs? I'm reading this book called "Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior, and Evolution", and there's an interesting chapter about dog body language and cropping (tails, ears, etc.) The author mentions a Lab whose tail got amputated in an accident, and how dogs seemed more suspicious of him afterwards. Interesting stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts