Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since Gene and I saw the dock-diving Splash Dog competitions on TV, we knew we had to find a way to get Dakota involved! Well, as luck had it, we went to a Sportsman's Show this weekend and there it was, a pool and a dock up set up for Splash Dog competitions! I asked how I could get Dakota involved with Splash Dogs and the lady I spokewith said I can get him started in practice sessions in between competitions.She also said that a Sacramento area club was about to start up!!! I already emailed the organizers to count us in!!! AND, the also include "fun agility" as part of the overall program so I think we've found what we've been looking for!!!!! :lol: :lol: In addition to therapy dog training, of course!

So here we go--Dakota's first day as a "wanna be" Splash Dog!!!

The best thing we did was to invite Dakota to climbup and watch the competitions. It got him sooooo "psyched up" for his own dive. It was a bit hilarious--I would cheer the dogs on whenthey made their jumps and Dakota, in pure excitement, would howl in harmony with me!!!!! He had the rest of the audience in stitches!!! (A side note: We never have had more people come up to us asking what kind of dog Dakota was and commenting on how pretty he is!!!)

Our turn. One of the Splash Dog people work with you initially. We take turns with all the other practicing dogs--most of which are also competing. First a new dog is taken up the "exit" ramp and put in the water from there so they learn where the exit is.

Ok--now time for the first attempt. The dockramp is about 30 feet, but for the first try, you have your dog near the jump off point. My only encouragement to Dakota, "Dakota, make Cinnamon proud!!!!"

Dakota made it first time up!!! the Splash dog people gave him the thumbs up and said they were sure they would be seeing Dakota again!!!

And now, we do it right! From the back of the ramp it's a sit-stay!! Dakota did this llike a champ!! I was so proud ofhim because I know how excited he was!! Then, a call to run--fast!!--and, hopefully, off the dock in chase of his tennis ball!

Sit! Stay!!

OK!! Go! Go! Go!

Good boy, Dakota!!!

Gene and I took turns and Dakota just could not get enough!!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Diane those are Fantastic pictures !

Dakota darling you are a natural, I sure wish you could teach Miss Annabelle to do that, she is such a wimp when it comes to water :shock:

I know you will do great with Splash !

Camera (and operators) is amazing, catching individual Dakota hairs and water drops

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Diane, that is absolutely amazing!! Great pictures!

Great job Dakota!! my question to you is, did you get to keep the ball?? You sure did a lot of work to get it!! :lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
That is just too cool for words! I always watch these competitions on TV. Dakota is a natural! Maybe this is what Ozzie needs to channel his jumping into something competitive.

P.S.: I did some searching on SplashDogs.com and evidently there's not yet a group here in the Albuquerque area. This makes sense as we don't have too much water. Jumping into a pile of tumbleweeds just doesn't have the same allure! :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Definitely cool Diane. And Way to go Dakota!! You look darn good there. Good stuff for first try at it!!! And fantastic photos. What can I say, you guy sure have fun!!! Keep it up!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOW DIANE........i am sooooooooooo excited for you, hubby and DAKOTA!!!!! thos are awesome pics!!

and HOW neat you havea splash dog in your area.
Dave and I just watched that 2 nights ago...the winner did 26ft :shock:

i am jealous!!!! then again i don't think Max could do the sit/stay yet
as his excitement would break his concentration?

When Do you go again???????????? and way to go Dakota!!!!! yes!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
WOW!! That is AWESOME! Dakota is gorgeous and so talented!! What fabulous action shots!!!
Thanks for sharing...........that made me smile! :D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Wow!!! I am so excited for Dakota! He looks so happy and is definitely a natural. Those are some fantastic pictures!

Deb

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Totally awesome!!!!!!! Way to go Dakota! It looks like you all had a blast. Thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh Diane - thank you for taking the time to document all this for us...HOW COOL!!!!

Ear to ear grin here...GOOD BOY DAKOTA!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DIANE which setting did you use? sport? or just auto?
they're extremely crisp, clear and vibrant

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
INCREDIBLE!!!!!That's for the Dakota AND the Photos! Thank you so much for that Monday Morning Treat
(almost better than being off work today! :wink: )

Dakota ...heh ... aren't you scared? How come you like to get all wet like that? :shock:
I wish I were brave and could jump in water like you. Maybe I'll try it this summer. :roll:
You look great as a SuperSplashDog! There's something about a guy in the water that makes my tail wag! :wink: :wink: Tee Hee!
Woof and Licks,
Ebbe

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wow these pics were awsome. I cant believe how focused he is!! Cant wait for summer- Thanks for sharing!! :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
That Diane is fantastic................
Wow I wish we had that here, Denver would love it
His two favorites water and tennis balls

Awesome work Dakota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure made my Monday brighter :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cinsmom said:
Cinnamon is so proud!! Way to go Dakota!!

What was his longest jump?
I'll just go with, "We were working on style"!! :wink: His jumps weren't that long--about 10 feet and on several jumps he had an ever-so-slight hesitation at the edge of the dock, but I also think it was largely my fault. The idea is to throw the ball--or whatever--in perfect harmony with the dog. That takes practice for both of us. I also noticed several people throwing the toy up and out; this seemed to give the dogs more distance. Yesterday's winner jumped 22'7"!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts