Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my Dad yells to us "Quick, come look at this!"
I thought I was seeing things, honestly.
Standing regally in the snow was the most gorgeous Malamute I have ever seen. This dog must have been at least 90 lbs... So tall and majestic with bright blue eyes...

He was a VERY friendly doggie, almost knocked me down trying to lick my face. :lol: Dad and I were going to put him on the run to hold him but he was way to big and dragging the broken end of a run already, so we put him in our basement because Sam was growling through the door and we have 2 cats...

Poor guy had no tags, not even a dog license on him, so we were hoping for a microchip. He practically lept into the water bowl we gave him and soon was whining to come in the house with us.We put the cats in a bedroom and put Sam on a leash and tried to introduce the two and let them sniff eachother.Sam was scared from the start and "Bigboy" (what we were calling him) wouldn't quit sniffing his special area... Poor Sammy kept looking up at me like "Tell him to leave me alone!"
When Bigboy put his paw up on Sam's back, that was it and Sam started barking and pulled out of his collar and hid in a bedroom...

The Dog Officer showed up two minutes later and my sister opened the door. Bigboy ran into the snow and was playing around. Dog officer was niot very impressive to us, we didn't even realise he was the dog officer. He didn't ask questions or try to call the dog, he just got in his truck and followed the dog who went from horsing around in our yard to running away down the street... Like 5 minutes later, Dog officer turns around and then drives by and we don't see a dog in his car.

10 minutes after that, a kid comes walking down our street. The mailman told him we had his dog. Sadly, we don't anymore... So we go walking dow the street looking for him. I come to find out Bigboy is really "Nanook" and is not a Malamute, but a really big husky (only one by the way!) who has a record of breaking the run during snowstorms and running away. The search is unsuccessful and the kid leaves for home planning to call the dog officer in case he had the dog and we didn't notice. (the giant paw tracks ended where the truck had turned around)

So we hope Nanook made it home. And I feel bad for the big guy because the kid was more pissed that the dog was gone and he had to look for him than he was that the dog was running around where he could get hurt. (He crossed/walked the main road to get to us)

Sigh... It was a long and eventful morning!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know just how you feel. Wednesday coming home from picking up my son at pre-school I had a dog approach my car. He was super friendly and had a tag so I stopped the car to see if I could call the owners. Only thing on the tag was the name "Diablo" and two cell phone numbers that are no longer in service. My yard isn't fenced and although he was super friendly I was not sure on his vaccination status and I have young kids so I was not about to let him in the house. I leashed him to the front porch and called animal control. He was so happy for the attention he gladly went with the officers. I feel so bad as I know our impound fees are really $$$ but I would have felt worse if he got hit by a car or attacked by a coyote. One good thing about our town is that if he is not picked up by his owners he will go to a no kill shelter and hopefully find a good home.

G

·
The worst outcome is when you go to all that trouble and the owner acts all nonchalant..."Oh, he gets out ALL the time." OR even worse, they act annoyed with you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts