Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone I apologize that somehow the post we were discussing got deleted instead of moved

Please let's start over

To-date
i have done both PennHip and OFA and now will be doing Pawsitive Id
for DNA of diseases such as vWD, pra, prcd, and coat color genetics and such.

AND WHAT I COULD SALVAGE IS ALL QUOTED AS REPLIES AS LISTED BELOW.( thanks LuckyMEfor the google search) :D
ONCE AGAIN I AM SOOOOOOOO SORRY EVERYONE!!! :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MaxandMe said:
with all the new topics and so many breeders along with those asking for for recommendations lately along with others getting into breeding,

well I am curious which breeders test their dogs and why which ones
or even why not.

for me at the moment i am doing Penn hip and Pre-lim OFA
DNA, vWF, PRA,PRK and other disease which is included in DNA kit

when these results come in then i can move forward to doing
Cerft and elbows along with other testing.

I hope this topic to be of a learning session for both anyone wanting to or does breed along with Non-breeders learning how much work can go into breeding or as a pre-lim screen for breeding.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maureen said:
Hi, Amy, I'm afraid we might be hi-jacking this thread and I want to see more breeders who test their dogs post about it!
but....Offa.org is the OFA site and their x-ray reviews go from fair, good, excellent, on the positive side and borderline to Stage ___ dysplastic on the negative.

I'm still learning about PennHip but that's my project for this year, so perhaps you could email or pm Jacque, Annmarie, or Linda about that one?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jac said:
http://www.vipoodle.org/docs/undst_sa.htm

They test by taking a skin punch and testing it, but if not taken from an affected area, the test is negative. They say you should take one test a year for 3 years.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M&Tdoodles said:
KOZMO IS 3 , AND WE DECIDED TO RETIRE HIM BECAUSE WE HAVE NO INTEREST IN MATCHING HIM WITH MONET. HE IS A STANDARD POODLE AND MONET IS AN F1B LABRADOODLE. WE WILL BE USING ANOTHER F1B MALE FROM PREVIOUS LITTERS TO FATHER MONET'S PUPS IF THE OUTCOME OF THEIR TESTS ARE PASSED.

WE HAVEN'T HAD ANY INQUIRIES TO USE HIM FOR STUDDING, AND IT HAS BEEN A CHALLENGE HAVING BOTH MALE & FEMALE IN ONE HOME. WE NEVER COULD SKIP ANY HEATS BECAUSE WE ALWAYS FOUND THEM " LOCKED" IN THE YARD OUT BACK.

MONET IS 7 MOS. NOW AND WILL BE DUE FOR A FIRST HEAT SOON AND WE DIDN'T WANT ANY ERRORS BEFORE HER TESTING WAS DONE.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doodlesville said:
Maureen a regualar vet can advise if there are issues with the eyes at the yearly exam then if there are concerns a opthomalogist can evaluate, the Cerf testing is not reliable or should i say no more reliable then a yearly exam , this is according to all 4 of my vets !

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Don't sweat it Annmarie, you did your best to get the topic moved, thanks :!:

·
Registered
103 Posts
No worries...not a problem to repost at all.. :wink:

Currently I'm testing hips using Penn Hip, I like the fact that they use three different x-rays(different positions), to review. I also test for vWD, PRA-Prcd, through Pawsitive ID. Although, I have emailed them a question in regards to the vWD testing, and I'm waiting for a reply. My question to them was, How old does the dog have to be before vWD results are valid? I've always heard for that specific test, they needed to be one year of age. So, I have questioned this and am waiting on a reply. Also, I have done eye cerf, dated in 2006, so they are due for another eye exam. I have done SA, but do not feel very confident in this test. So, I'm not sure if I will make that a standard test in my program. I also use Pawsitive ID, for DNA coloring. I have one dog who has failed the Penn Hip test and therefore he will no longer be used in my breeding program. But, he will still live with me as he is my "COOL DOOD" :D I may consider doing OFA hip tests at 2yrs., and use Penn Hip for my prelims, anywhere from 7 months and older. Any further testings that I may do, I will post once I have done them. And will post my thoughts on the tests as well.
I hope I haven't forgotten anything..... :idea:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG....LUCKYME has saved the day and i will be copy/pasting 3Pages of replies
i haven't asked yet how she has cached pages.I am just so HAPPY SHE DOES!! WOW

GSMAGOO2Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:46 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've only done the SA on my male, it did come back normal, but I do agree with the other's about this test. I'm not 100% in favor of it either, as they stated, the skin biopsy can be taken in a spot that will show NO, SA.....and having another biopsy in a different location, could show positive results for this. So, that test is up in the air for me as well. Which is why I've only done the test on one dog, thus far. I still may have the test done on my Poodles, because, they are more prone to this skin disease. And whether you get a negative or positive result, you will at least have some kind of an answer!! I am still going back and forth with this one!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:37 am M&T DOODLES

OUR NEW LINE WILL INCLUDE MONET AN F1B LABRADOODLE, IF SHE PASSES HER PENN HIP TEST. ONCE WE KNOW SHE IS OK'D WE WILL DO THE ELBOWS AND CERF FOR EYES AND THYROID AND ANNUAL CBC'S.
WE ALSO HAVE JACK AND MURPHY AND POSSIBLY JACOBY IN LINE AS SIRES FOR MONET. THEY WILL ALL FOLLOW WITH TESTING AFTER WE KNOW MONET'S RESULTS.

OUR PREVIOUS WERE PENN-HIPED AND CERF TESTED AND BLOOD TESTED WITH CBC & CHEM 7 PROFILES WITH BI-ANUAL VET EXAMS.

KOZMO IS BEING NEUTERED ( HATE THAT WORD) BOO HOO TODAY AS WE SPEAK...SO THIS IS THE LAST LITTER FOR KOZMO & KELSEY.
KELSEY WILL BE SCHEDULED AFTER SHE IS DONE NURSING HER 13 PUPS. SHE IS 4 YEARS OLD NOW AND WE REALLY WANT TO RETAIN HER HEALTH FOR MANY MORE YEARS OF GIVING US HAPPINESS.
WWW.RILABRADOODLES.COM

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/ridoodles/

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cocoandjane
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How old is Kosmo?? Why was he neutered if he could still be a sire?
Just curious....

"If you haven't tasted soap,
you haven't bathed a doodle."

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm Post subject: from M&T Doodles

KOZMO IS 3 , AND WE DECIDED TO RETIRE HIM BECAUSE WE HAVE NO INTEREST IN MATCHING HIM WITH MONET. HE IS A STANDARD POODLE AND MONET IS AN F1B LABRADOODLE. WE WILL BE USING ANOTHER F1B MALE FROM PREVIOUS LITTERS TO FATHER MONET'S PUPS IF THE OUTCOME OF THEIR TESTS ARE PASSED.

WE HAVEN'T HAD ANY INQUIRIES TO USE HIM FOR STUDDING, AND IT HAS BEEN A CHALLENGE HAVING BOTH MALE & FEMALE IN ONE HOME. WE NEVER COULD SKIP ANY HEATS BECAUSE WE ALWAYS FOUND THEM " LOCKED" IN THE YARD OUT BACK.

MONET IS 7 MOS. NOW AND WILL BE DUE FOR A FIRST HEAT SOON AND WE DIDN'T WANT ANY ERRORS BEFORE HER TESTING WAS DONE.
WWW.RILABRADOODLES.COM

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/ridoodles/

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cocoandjane

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm Post subject:

I see!! I have decided that having a stud in the house with females in heat is too difficult!! I totally understand that part of your reasoning...
Well, I understand all your reasoning.....thanks for explaining....Glad you have some F1B's coming up in ranks to become part of your breeding program.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jac

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 pm Post subject:

Trina and Martha, thanks for stepping up and making your testing public. It is so important and I can relate to the tough decisions regarding the removal of an otherwise excellent breeding dog from your program. It is a hard decision to make and yet such an honorable one.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cocoandjane

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 am Post subject:

Yes, I, too, want to thank those
that have helped others by letting folks know
what testing is being done.
It is very important and am so glad breeders
are being responsible to do all that testing.

Thank you for promoting the integrity of the breed
by producing puppies from parents who are clear of known
diseases. What a tremendous chance the pups have to
live a healthy life !!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MaxandMe
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:41 am Post subject:

WOW funny how originally i thought this topic could stir the pot and instead it IS BEING WELL RECEIVED...........i am so happy

and ok Who's NEXT TO BUMP UP?????? step right up

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doodlesville

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:33 am Post subject:

Me !!! Sorry im a bit slow,,,No energy even less brain cells LOL

All of our Dogs are Hip Tested, we use OFA
due to too many false negatives and posisitves i dont use penn hip at this time
all are VWD, unless parents were already tested negative ,,
Cerf testing ,,,this test must be preformed every year ,, what to do if one year they dont pass seems like a worthless test to me
I am in the process of DNA with Pawsitive ID,,,*thanks annemarie,
Im very excited about this and im sure this tool will help tremendously especially with the aussiedoodles!!! woohoo here is hope for less guess work in color ,ect, and to clear for PRA which can run in Aussies
havent had any issues over 6+yrs so i guess im doing somthing right,,

UPDATE :: just made a testing list,
TESTING LIST

VWD - unless cleared by parentage. (other then Golden Retrievers they don't carry this)
OFA - hips ,elbows if old enough to be certified
(We don't use Penn Hip due to the false negatives and possessives this has produced)
PRA DNA - unless cleared by parentage (Some are completed ,we are in the process of sending in to Pawsitive Id those that are not, we are even doing some that have been cleared, Im really excited about this

I choose not to do SA - This test is unreliable since you could test a affected dog and get a negative result by simply testing a spot that was not affected -

CERF - eyes This test is also not reliable due to the fact you must test every single year,
what do you do if your dog clears one year and doesn't the next? Some of my dogs are cerf tested, however this is not one of the test I hold a lot of merit in.

CBC & Thyroid Panels - this is another test that I am not Thrilled about
Some of our dogs are done ,but I have decided its not totally reliable

I tend to think that some of these testing leads to false hopes in buyers, and breeders simply do it to get listed on certain sites.
It guarantees nothing!! you can test till your blue in the face and still produce problems, its all up to where the genes fall, nutrition, care and protection of the pups as they mature ect,
www.Doodlesville.net

Our Chat forum:
www.DoodleChat.com

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ALSO....TRINA shared this GREAT link with me

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm and you can look up many diseases and such which would also explain some tests then such as ones on pawsitive id

1 - 20 of 67 Posts