Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this link works. This was a report on "Designer Dogs" on the local news here in Chicago. I didn't care for it. It made LD owners (or any hybrid owner) sound like our dogs were accessories rather than pets. Do people think we are the same group who went out and bought pot belly pigs a few years ago when they were the "in" dog?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=3873987

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Chesterpal!
I watched the thing last night on channel 7, and I didn't care for it either. I don't like the term 'designer dog' and I didn't like the way they did that segment. I didn't like it when the guy commented on the LD shedding on his leg. No reputable breeder is going to tell you the dogs don't shed at all. And the other guy that talked about how its a genetic gamble to breed these dogs because you can get the worst of the two breeds... I was screaming at the TV because its a 'genetic gamble' any time you breed dogs. It was also annoying when they said that these dogs are no different than a $55 dog from the shelter. Ugh! Glad you watched it too...

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have to agree. I did not care for the segment at all. Not sure if any of you have looked at that breeders website, but it is definitely not a great one. Sounds like a broker of some sort. There is no guarantee that LD's will not shed, and did they really have to pick one that sheds like that for the segment? I think they did that on purpose.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I did not see the story but did go on line and read it, I had to write them a note and tell them how upset I was about the story and also anyone who sells over 1,000 puppies a year in my book is a true puppy mill!!! :evil:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was really hoping the breeders "Its all about the non-shedding" portion was some how edited and taken out of context.

G

·
I know a few people have sent them replies to their airing of the show. Maybe something will be said about that or it can be redone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That piece was biased and written by a "humaniac." Those people usually have tunnel vision and push for laws that will outlaw any and all breeding of dogs. They would like even small hobby breeders with only 3 dogs to be licensed by USDA.

I would agree that 1000 puppies a year from one breeder comes from a "mill." However, many single breed dog breeders have more puppies per year than some that have multiple breeds and offer 100 puppies per year or less. Just depends on the breeding program, number of bitches, puppies per litter, and how often each dog is bred...

People will write things like the aforementioned article, but we just have to remember that this is a democratic society, so we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Make sure you vote when legislation like PAWS hits the ballots or you may find it increasingly difficult to buy a purebred or hybrid dog due to legislative control over canine husbandry. Protect your rights with your voting voice or your rights might be taken away!

Did I just get on a political soapbox? Not my normal style, but it seemed appropriate with this article!

·
Registered
377 Posts
In my limited mind span it would seem that the sweet little creatures that celebrities are carrying around in their purses would better be described as "designer dogs". Toby thought he was just a wonderful, friendly good ole boy! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like "look at my new shoes in the latest fashion made by XYZ and my matching purse and my dog"....weird!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts