Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting insurance for Bodzin (and maybe Jack if I keep him). I really am confused by what I am finding on the web. My vet has one in her office that they recommend, but I want to make sure that I am not overlooking something that is great coverage, but not real expensive. Anyone out there have it? like it? hate it? experience using it?

G

·
I have VPI. I get a discount through my company. Plus it's deducted from my check. So far so good. I like them. I think My's superior coverage with wellness rider costs $24 a month.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We added the very basic plan with VPI for both doodles (after Dexter's surgery). It is pretty cheap (around $150/yr per doodle). I haven't used it yet (thank goodness) so I can't comment on how they are with reimbursement. We also have separate coverage through Banfield (Petsmart's vet) which covers office visits so I just wanted some emergency coverage for an accident (broken leg, surgery, etc).

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got VPI for Napa, as well as PetCare Insurance, or something like that. The VPI doesn't cover heriditary conditions, PetCare does. So, its a toss up.... I had to fight with VPI to get them to pay more for Napa's surgery. They only covered about $1500 of a $2300 surgery. But some money is better than no money. However, I did get three estimates for the surgery and went with the cheapest one. So, I'd highly suggest it, but I'm still on the fence about which one I'd go with, knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We never had it with any of our dogs and luckily only needed to take them to the vet recently.
Im interested in an emergency type plan however
Im thinking it will only cover though if they are fully vaccinated correct? How about holistic treatments like acupuncture and chiropractic? Im thinking like us Lincoln will be the same: the way we care and treat ourselves insurance doesnt cover :?

Michele

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just looking at PetsBest and they say that they cover Acupuncture and Holistics treatments at 80% coverage.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have VPI

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have Metropolitan PetCare and are very satisfied. They have paid 2 claims in the last 4 months for us...Pay time is about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm curious about insurance too. Do these insurance companies reimburse for vaccinations, heartworm and other everyday stuff, or just major things? My vet mentioned insurance existed, but didn't give info because she doesn't want to endorse any particular one so that was no help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wanted to bump this thread to bring it back to life, I was unaware that pet insurance even existed until this weekend. So here I am.

Other than the original posters, does anyone else carry insurance on their pets? and with what company?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have VPI for Peanut and Max

i just spent $451 on Max's toad poisiong,
$80 on max's allergy that turned out to be
mange which cost $200 for meds, test etc for both doodles
Peanut's allergy turned infection was $308

today i spent $57 on ottomax and ear wash meds

BUT there is a 50ded then 90% remimbursement
NOW if you have 2 visits for same condition $50 DED applies only once
but if the visits are for different issues then $50 DED per visit

i have cancer rider for $2 a mo per dog

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'm curious about insurance too. Do these insurance companies reimburse for vaccinations, heartworm and other everyday stuff, or just major things? My vet mentioned insurance existed, but didn't give info because she doesn't want to endorse any particular one so that was no help
Tanner's insurance covers $150 each year for vaccinations, heartworm meds, everyday stuff. Everything else is 80% after $100 deductible and it covers genetic conditions and cancer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is SO timely. Since the rock eating incident I am looking into the idea of insurance for Calvin but it appears that they all have a pre-existing condition clause that states if he has had an incident within the last 12 months they will not cover it....Any experience with that? I was looking into VPI.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LESLIE ...i don't know of any insurance companies that will take on pre-existing conditions as i had called 3 of them

NOTE: they do however cover obstructions due to swallowing /eating things but if it's a continual thing then they won't cover multiple ones

G

·
Hey Leslie when Sadie was covered she had coccidia and she has a exemption on her policy that they will not cover coccidia claim for 6 mos. After that they will cover it. I just signed Sadie up and they asked a bunch of questions that I had to answer yes or no to about her present state of health.

I have VPI

1 - 16 of 16 Posts