Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting an electric fence for our girl (7mos.). I can't decide if I want her to be able to roam the WHOLE yard or have the front and back yards wired seperately. She would be able to pass from front to back when I have the garage door and back garage doors open when I want her to have access to both. Otherwise, it's either the front or back.

What did you do and what do you like/dislike about your setup?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I have never had an electric fence but my sister did and both her goldens would run right through the fence if they saw something and then not come back in coz they woud get shocked, then I've talked to people who have them and have not had a problem with their dogs going out - my problem with them is it does Not keep out other dogs or critters that may be roaming
Good luck

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hi Nicole...
We installed an electric fence last fall at our house in NH for our lab Molly.....we went the full perimeter of the house,garden and garage....that way, Molly had the use of the enitre yard and I can let her out the front door or back...one zap from the trainer, cured her from even going NEAR those white flags, and I can see her looking at them out of the corner of her eyes...hahahaha.....the Doodle (Raleigh) on the other hand was introduced to the 'flags' this July....he got TWO zaps...the first one sent him 6 ft. in the air, without a peep...he was trying to head down the driveway onto the road where the idiots do 40-50 mph in a 30 mph zone...
The second zap was because he wasn't paying attention, and had his nose to the ground.....2 weeks ago, I let them out before bed, and he raced to the edge og the yard, roo-roo-rooing at something in the woods (we're surrounded by woods)...he scared the heck out of me, because I was afraid he would breach the boundary....he didn't!!! And I was very proud of him....we love the fence....but unfortunately it dosen't keep other 'critters' out...i.e. moose,bear and other dogs....
Good luck! :D

___________________________________-
Kathie,Raleigh & Molly! :D :twisted: :?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my...moose and bear? We don't have those kinds of critters in our very developed, bustling neighborhood! Ours critters are a little smaller than yours!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hi Dizney Doodle!
We built a log home for our retirement home in Wolfeboro....not on the lake....waay tooo expensive, including taxes....but our permanent home is in South Windsor,Ct...our Wolfboro home is 4 miles outside of town off of Rt.28...and we are 'nestled' in the woods....but you won't catch me there alone at nite...hahahaha...especially with the Doodle jumping off the bed at 1:00 a.m., roo-roo-rooing!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Can ya blame me???? We've had the house for 20 years now, and it's STILL a work in progress??? :shock: :? :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I LOVE OURS. they will not cross it even for a rabbit. Do a search above for electric fence using exact words and you will find several threads that discuss the electric fence.

We never buried ours and we used it at 3 or 4 homes (we moved a lot!)

My parents loved the idea so much they got one. It took just a few days to train their dog (labradoodle of course) and she never goes out even for her ball or a cat etc.

I highly recomend petsmart brand and ebay has been for us the least expensive place to get product. I personally like the stubborn collar the best because it gives a vibration first then beep then shock.

Keep in mind you do have to check it from time to time especially if you have a super smart dog. Batteries can go dead :) I have one dog that checks it every day! The electricity went off once and she went bunny chasing. I now have learned these things and have easily adapted to her smartness!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We love our electric fence too. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of people walk or ride their bikes past my house, and both of my dogs stay within their line. We fenced in the whole back and about half of the front yard. I set the front line about half way from the house and the yard, which I think helps to keep the dogs from being tempted by people/dogs in the road--plus it keeps them out of most of the gardens which I have in the front. People in my area are good about not letting their dogs run free, so keeping other dogs out was never really a concern.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that these fences work great if your goal is to keep your pup at home...but as others have mentioned, it wont' stop the other dogs from coming in, which can pose a danger...or other animals, for that matter.
More of a worry to me is that as the popularity of doodles grows and people become aware of their value...puppies are often stolen from their yards! I have heard of a couple of times when entire litters were stolen! Sooooo, just be aware that it isn't quite as safe as a good ol' high, locking, vision-blocking fence.

·
Registered
558 Posts
We have both an electric fence, which actually protects the gardens, in the back yard and encircles the permiter of the yard and a fenced in back yard to protect the doodles and poodle and allows them to swim in privacy. They are only allowed in the front yard when we are with them. Kelsey(doodle) knows where the fence is the weakest(at the corners) and will head right for there when she wants to sneak away. Kozmo stays right in the yard no matter what. We do recommend both...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Raleighsmom I love Wolfeboro and agree you can't touch the lake unless you have lots and lots of money We had a log home when we were in Groton I loved it owed it for 15 yrs and it was never finished. lol Now we have a barn style home that has a silo room attached and it to is a work in progress spent the weekend staining wood for the walls and priming and painting the ceiling and hip walls. We to are hoping to retire there and maybe Fl for the winter will have to see how it all works out.Got at least 2 more yrs before hubby can retire and lots more for me but I work from home and as long as I have a phone and a computer I can work from anywhere. One of my pups went to North Haven Ct is that any where near you and to stay on topic they are using an electric fence and so far so ggod

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Dizneydoodle, we love Wolfeboro too, altho it's gotten a LITTLE? too busy this summer with all the politicians and the President of France visiting! :shock: :shock: Traffic has become a nightmare!
South Windsor is about 45 min north of North Haven, 15 min. from the Mass. border.....
And also to stay on topic, a lot of people take down the white flags once their dogs become accustomed to the boundaries, but we've chosen to leave them up as a reminder to Molly and Raleigh, because we're only there on weekends, and I don't like them getting zapped!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Martha! I thought about seperating my front and back yards, too. A traditional fence is out of the question b/c our yard is in the path of a flood if there ever would be one. Very strict building codes which means we would lose 10 ft. of yard if we would go that route. That's huge b/c our yard is not so big in the back as it is.

I would always want her supervised in the front which is why I thought about seperating the yards. Too, she would only be let out to potty in the back yard so that our front yard doesn't get the brown polka dots!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I didn't mention in my previous post, but we never leave our dogs outside when no one is at home. One of them is very aware of when her collar is off, or the fence isn't working (we had a broken wire once). I think the electric fence is a great solution for many situations, but I do think it best for dogs to have some human supervision, just in case.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thats quite a sensational article. I read the article but it didnt really make any sense to me.

First of all if it was just a training collar as stated someone would have had to be pressing the transmitter for it to emit a shock correct? (perhaps the children playing?) how could a battery collar shock you on its own? And if it did the battery would run dead eventually they certainly can't stay on for 8 hours without dying. I am also not familiar with any training collar that can be used with a fencing product. We looked and looked and werent able to find such a thing. We had to purchase our training collar and our fencing collars separate. Our dogs have quite a few collars on at times depending on what we are doing with them! I am not trying to start a debate in any way shape or form, but from having the experience with both training and fencing collars I just find the link a little unbelievable to me. I looked it up on snopes but there was nothing for or against there :)

With that said and even if there is a grain (or more) of truth in the article if you want a training collar we have a sportdog - its waterproof and completely submersible. I wouldnt recommend any other. Petsafe is the best fencing collar as well. Neither is inexpensive. There is no replacement for supervision. And the prongs can (I have heard) irritate the dogs neck. Personally I check my dogs all the time to make sure irritation is not occuring. As with anything caution should always be used I would say.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
hmm

Sorry it didnt make sense to you
I have had several comments from clients that they had also had some scary experiences ,,,in any case i would never use it ever

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: hmm

Doodlesville said:
Sorry it didnt make sense to you
I have had several comments from clients that they had also had some scary experiences ,,,in any case i would never use it ever
and I completely respect you for that :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks

I just have heard and seen so much,,I have 5acres here if i felt comfortable using it i sure would love to
not only the reactions that it can cause but,, they can run rite thru it ,its NOT secure,,other dogs can come in yard bringing diseases ,and potential of injuring your dog
Just seems like a waste of money no matter how cheap a containment it is

1 - 20 of 28 Posts