Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....I read how fish is good for dogs and picked up canned sardines & Mackarel.
I have decided to give my animals a varied diet, so shared a tin of sardines between them. MISTAKE.
All my dogs had runs for a couple days....turns out that I should have only started then out with about a Tbsp. at first.......& another bg mistake....I got the ones in soybean oil. :(
Found this great article when trying to figure out what I did wrong...
http://www.caninechronicle.com/Features ... y_509.html
Before I open the Mackarel, half can first day, the rest next day?
Any other fish? Salmon canned? This seems to be a cheap alternative to the expensive cans of dog food that I am seeing $3 price tags on. I can pickup the Mackaral & sardines for about $1 a can & rotate it with eggs, chicken, & beef in their morning home cooked meals.....night-time is strictly dry dog food.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I feed canned salmon once a week. Dogs LOVE it. It goes on sale now and then for 2/3$ and I buy a lot. I have fed them other whole fish but like you it didnt go well at first. Good idea to start small. We did a full can of sardines once, they ate it, puked it up (smell??) and then ate it again. What a mess. We only do the canned salmon on a regualr basis.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Todd...... do you know what a Mackaral is???
Or is the canned Salmon much better in terms of nutritional value?
I believe I saw Salmon canned at Walmart for about $1.25 a can...unless it has gone up like everything else!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Here is the wiki entry :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel

"Mackerel is a common name applied to a number of different species of fish, mostly, but not exclusively, from the family Scombridae. They may be found in all tropical and temperate seas. Most live offshore in the oceanic environment but a few, like the Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus maculatus), enter bays and can be caught near bridges and piers. Common features of mackerels are a slim, cylindrical shape (as opposed to the tunas which are deeper bodied) and numerous finlets on the dorsal and ventral sides behind the dorsal and anal fins. The scales are extremely small, if present. The largest species called "mackerel" is the king mackerel (Scomberomorus cavalla) which can grow to 66 inches (1.68 m). A female mackerel lays about 1,000,000 eggs at a time.

Shearwater, tuna, dolphins, whales, orca, seagulls, marlins, sharks, and humans may hunt mackerels. Mackerels are prized (and are highly harvested) for their meat, which is often very oily. They are known for their fighting ability, and are an important recreational and commercial fishery. The meat can spoil quickly, especially in the tropics, causing scombroid food poisoning - it must be eaten on the day of capture, unless cured. For this reason, mackerel is the only common salt-cured sushi. Mackerel fishery is well established in India, the species caught is usually Rastrelliger kanagurta."

My only thoughts are not feeding a lot of salt. You can get no salt added salmon. Is the Makerel in salt water (brine)?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicken of the Sea Mackerel- 15 oz. can, 6 servings, 280 mg. a serving.
Don't know if that is considered high....
As a rule, I do not add salt to their morning meal of rice, vegi's & meat, but resently started with using a small amount of iodized salt, as I read that they need a small amount of iodine for their thyroid, as do us humans.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
According to the interent a dog should get 100-200 mg salt per kilo of bodyweight (50 lb dog is about 30 kilo's), so about 3000 mg. A 4 oz chicken breast in plumped with 200-500 mg of salt water. So 280 mg in the can of makerel seems in the right range to be OK.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Now that I am poking around reading about fish for dogs. RAW salmon is a potential hazard if caught wild by your doodle. I assume the canning process kills the parasite via heating and salmon meant to be served RAW (sushi) has to be flash frozen to kill the parasite too.

From the College of Veterinary Medicine website:
"Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It's this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.
Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range," says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, "Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That's why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.
Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish. If untreated, death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish. Ninety percent of dogs showing symptoms die if they are not treated.
Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it's caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trashcans and you are unsure of what it's eaten; consider the possibility of salmon poisoning."

And for a link to more fish
http://www.bellybytes.com/foodfacts/saltwater_fish.html

·
Registered
858 Posts
I buy fresh fish at 50% off at safeways, it's near but not past it's expiration date- so I can usually score chum salmon @ $1.49 a pound, I just cook it up with their chicken or turkey, rice & veggies

·
Registered
590 Posts
Been doing just a little research on homecooked dog food. Found this "fish patty" recipe.

Doggy Fish Dinner
1 can of salmon (bones removed)

1 egg beaten

3 Tbsp cornmeal

1 potato

1 carrot

1 stick celery

1 Tbsp peanut butter
Combine salmon, egg, and cornmeal and mix well, form into patties, and coat them with a little more cornmeal. Fry in a tiny amount of canola oil until brown on both sides. Chop patties into small bites and stir together with chopped and boiled vegetables. A spoonful of cottage cheese may be stirred in for moisture if desired. Finish off dinner with peanut butter as dessert.

Read more: http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cf ... z0UPxmv7OL

Thought I'd share - very close to my own Salmon patty recipe and cooked the same way, very yummy for people too (with a little seasoning added for people)!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby can t stand any kind of veggies for some reason..whether its raw or cooked..

but, he does like fish..but, not a steady diet of it..i normally will feed him a small
cod fillet, baked..break it up when cooked and mix in with his EVO..since this is so
rich ill feed him a few dog biskets as a desert..

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds great...but you dont' need to worry about the bones in canned Salmon...pressure cooking makes them very soft. :D

SamsonsMom said:
Been doing just a little research on homecooked dog food. Found this "fish patty" recipe.

Doggy Fish Dinner
1 can of salmon (bones removed)

1 egg beaten

3 Tbsp cornmeal

1 potato

1 carrot

1 stick celery

1 Tbsp peanut butter
Combine salmon, egg, and cornmeal and mix well, form into patties, and coat them with a little more cornmeal. Fry in a tiny amount of canola oil until brown on both sides. Chop patties into small bites and stir together with chopped and boiled vegetables. A spoonful of cottage cheese may be stirred in for moisture if desired. Finish off dinner with peanut butter as dessert.

Read more: http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cf ... z0UPxmv7OL

Thought I'd share - very close to my own Salmon patty recipe and cooked the same way, very yummy for people too (with a little seasoning added for people)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts