Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i am whining for a moment.

I have been switching Max and Peanut over to dry dog food SLOWLY for 3 weeks now. I had them 3/4dry to 1/4 bland and made the stupid mistake of giving mostly dry with a tiny bit of rice thinking all was well.

I am in poop up to my eyeballs since Max around 5am? had one heck of a pooopy time on the floor of bedroom which is the ONLY carpeted area in the whole house. Peanut whines and i run out as fast as i can!

Both are beginning to firm up now. pepto bismal helps. I feel like a bad mom as i was in process of making more rice on stove and didn't want them to wait to eat dinner last night so fed them the way i did.

has anyone else ever taken this long to switch dogs over dry food again? or do i have the only doodles with extremely sensitive tummies. They don't have worms either.

OK done and thank you for letting me whine hahahahhahah actually i am laughing as i refuse to cry over poop :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
With the recent pet food scare, we switched Dex from Iams dry puppy to Blue Buffalo. We got antsy and did the 50/50 one day then Kevin decided to go all out the second day. We had one pancacke poopy (outside luckily) and then back to normal. He loves his new food and is only pooping once or twice a day now compared to 4 times. He seems to have more energy too. I wish we had never started on the Iams.

I feel for ya. Whine away. There's nothing worse than having fur babies with bad tummies. If you lived nearby, we'd have a cup of coffee and walk the doodles til they were all pooped out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm sorry Annmarie. That's really discouraging. It doesn't sound like that should have affected them like that. I wish I had some answers for you. Did they get anything out of the ordinary yesterday?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh don't worry....these doodles of mine are just real slow to take to food is all. Remember max has been on bland diet for 4mos with dry food only being held down with firm poops for 3 weeks now and finished worm meds 10 days ago.

know what? i finished scrubbing the rug for now. i'll take a black light to it tomorrow night and see what's remaining and resrub it.

i also just swept and mopped my kitche, dining room, living room and 3 sittings rooms and one bathroom. For some reason i feel better hahahhaha...my whole house is getting cleaned. And unfortunately i had to crate my doodles but they're safe and not slipping on wet floors which aren't fully dry yet and i also got a break.

soooooooooo isn't there a saying" This soon will pass?" hahahhaa

they have had firm poops til last night...i overdid the food is all. :cry:
my house is so much cleaner now :wink:
and i found my sense of humor a short while ago :D hahahhahahhaa

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oh Annmarie! What a bummer! Maybe it was just a fluke and Max will be ok tomorrow.....we've got our fingers and Doodle paws crossed for him! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Kathie!!!
knwow what though? for some reason i am not bummed out at all. In fact i walked them alot more than usual today.
I got a good laugh and let's say my family and I had lots of jokes about taking poop!! hahahhaha

max got a bang and beard trim tonight, peanut got majorally brushed, i sat on living room floor with them playing on and over me for the past 2.5hours and i feel so relaxed now.

let's say i knew i caused the problem by wrong food mixture and gave them the attention they needed today and extra TLC.
And while they napped my house got cleaned :D

so all in all i really had a good day afterall :D :D

and thanks kathie!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Aww im sorry

have you tried a bit of pumpkin every 4hrs?
does the food you are using have any glutons in it at all ,,not just wheat, for some reason i thought you fed all natural,or was trying to,,
my friend that owns the pet store said that we shouldnt see any loose poops as long as no corn or glutons in the food we are changing to, and i havent ,,i am surprised we didnt do a slow change we just changed em, figured it was the least of two evils if you know what i mean
try pumpkin bout 2tbls every 4hrs ,but you knew that im sure

oh my the way,,you will be happy to know i had a 4hr nap today,,LOL will flippin be up all nite,,LOL :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahhaha OK Nancy are your eyes like this now ---> :shock: from your nap?!!!

and yes they're getting canned pumpkin also a bit of pepto bismal.
and they're getting firmer---- and i use Canidae.
remember Max has been on a bland diet for long time now and almost on dry food completely.
i appreciate the help though and yes i have never ever before had a dog that took this long to switch foods over. i have faith though it is going to happen!!! hahahhahahhaa

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Just keep the pumpkin up

you shouldnt have this with the canidae ,i wonder whats goin on,,its got me stumped

Heck the Phone was by my head, steve called 4 times i didnt hear a thing
he called barbie and chris to hurry home and make sure i was alive,,LOL
the pups were starved by the time he got home but they lived, they sucked the bottle dry

Green ribbon (fonzy) the one i was having such trouble with and worried so much is now fisty as anything,,they are getting there personalities and its so cute, i am very attentive with every litter but this one is special, im momma to em i guess ,,spending every waking hours to their every need

red ribbon lucy,,is doing great too
then there is pinky tuscadara,(pink ribbon) omg,what a character<<LOL
we are workin on Names for the rest, guess im partial to these i never name em, if i name em i keep em,,,NO im not keepin any ,LOL

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nancy i love the names especially Fonzy
they sound sooooooo cute and i am sooo happy they're doing well now.

good to hear you more UPBEAT and better rested too!!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
ya know what i would do

put them on flagyl for 10days, its a antibiotic for the tummy, normally it clears them up of anything
just a thought, but that is what i would do if mine were doing that

I do feel much better today :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nancy ....max just had that and was fine till last night.
i am not giving beef only chicken now....am trying oatmeal instead of rice and see if it helps.
i am also thinking of asking for time off without pay and maybe have a few days alone with them.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sounds like a plan

I bet that the oatmeal will firm them up
they actually may be eating more then ya know, causing the loose poop
is it watery or puddin?
do you have Endosorb? can you get your vet to get you a bottle? get the tabs they hate the liquid,, that will firm em up

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its more like pudding or mushy ....not watery thank god!

and later today it was getting firmer with only tiny bit of mush

know what? i have to laugh about how much sh** i am talking about here hahahhahaha sorry but you know me, ohhhhhhh i laugh things off whenever possible as my sanity is somewhere in this house but i am having too much fun NOT looking for it!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hell, at least i had a good poop today LMAO so hard now hahhahahhaaa
i can't believe i said that!!ohhhhhhhhhhhhh hhahahhahhahaa

nuttin like a good one whether it's gone to the dogs or not! :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, AnnMarie...here you go, advice that you probably don't wnat to hear...but that has never stopped me before!
You can spend the next 15 years on your hands and knees cleaning poop day and night or you can take a chance on a doggie door! I know, I know, doggie doors in your area are off limits due to other critters...but what about if you fenced off a small area in you back yard and h ad a doggie door only to that area?
Then they could go out, poop and come in as needed! AND the othe critters would have to get over yourf fence in order to come in through the doggie door...not likely with two dogs chasing them.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jac
...right now i am waiting on my tax refund check to do an underground fence for just that purpose. i am also considering puttting in a small fenced area as well. as i cannot keep living like this. though i must say it keeps the extra calories off from goodies i eat.

unless you have a porch up here it's hard to do a doggy dooor as it also let's cold air in house during winter. I know dave's mom has a doggy door on her porch/mud room...it's freezing too.

I also am concerned again why my dogs are fine with a 3/4mix of dry but go to 100% and mushy poops....or is this normal for a few day adjustment? Actally Peanut concerns me more. i think she shows signs of bloat??? i am reading up on it right now and also callling my vet.

G

·
Don't mess around with bloat! Or do you mean like pre-bloat signs? Or do you mean from when she was sick before?
Some good info:
"The influence of grain in creating an environment conducive to bloat seems even more plausible in that it is very rare for dogs that consume meat-based diets to develop bloat."
So cut out all grain in her diet?
And signs and symptoms:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/bloat.html
SIGNS OF GASTRIC DILATION

The signs are excessive salivation and drooling, extreme restlessness, attempts to vomit and defecate, evidence of abdominal pain (the dog whines and groans when you push on the stomach wall) and abdominal distention. Its important to know the history of the dog. Has it eaten recently? Drunk water? Has it been running or exercising within 2-3 hours of eating?

If the dog is able to burp or vomit you can usually rest assured that the gut is not twisted. This can be treated at home. Give Mylanta by mouth. Dosage for a small dog is 6 ounces; Medium dog is 8 ounces; large dog 12 ounces. Make sure you walk the dog after giving the Mylanta until the bloat is relieved or until you can contact a veterinarian. If the bloat is relieved at home, it would still be a good idea to contact your vet to let them know the dog bloated. IF YOU ARE UNSURE, RUSH THIS DOG TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY. THIS COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH FOR YOUR DOG. Once a dog bloats, it will usually bloat again in the future.

SIGNS OF TORSION OR VOLVULUS

The initial signs are the same for Gastric Dilation except more severe. The distress is more evident. There could be rapid breathing, pale gums and the dog may collapse. The shock like symptoms are due to the strangulation of the blood supply to the stomach and spleen. RUSH THIS DOG TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY. Surgery is needed to relieve a torsion or volvulus. The chance of a recurrence is about 15 percent.

PREVENTION

Knowing of this problem is the first part of prevention. Feed several small meals throughout the day (at LEAST 2) instead of one big meal. Keep the dog quiet at LEAST one hour before and at LEAST 2 hours after a meal. This means no roughhousing or playing. If the dog usually gets rambuncious after a meal, crate this animal. Monitor and restrict the water intake of the dog before and especially after a meal. The dog should not drink after eating dry kibble. Therefore, it is best to thoroughly soak the kibble for at least 30 minutes before feeding this to the dog. Try not to feed a kibble which expands greatly when wet. Do the kibble test overnight. Put a cup of kibble in a bowl. Add water and let soak over night. What you see in the morning is the amount of swelling this food will do in your dog's stomach. If its excessive, change to another kibble which doesn't swell as much. Always keep Mylanta on hand.

These measures may prevent some cases of bloat but will not prevent all cases. Being aware might be the difference between life and death for your dog.

Annmarie,
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Isn't it odd that two unrelated dogs would have the food-related same symptoms? Maybe it is something other than food they have in common that is causing their problems--have you had your water tested?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts