Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as a prospective doodle breeder (you notice I'm really trying to consider Everything???) I should find out what sells, to whom and how to reach them.

Is there a strong market for standard size pure Aussie multi-gens, with appropriate health testing and guarantees? Are there any prejudices against certain colors that would make them harder to sell? Are the medium sized dogs preferred? I understand fleece coats are preferred, but is wool acceptable?

Who are the most likely buyers? How do I find them?

As a first time breeder, how does one promote one's first litter? What happens if they don't all sell right away? How do we find the service dog organizations for potential donations? (I've read the posts about advertising on various sites. How costly is that?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi,
The market is there for all of these dogs, but Aussies are pretty expensive, so your market is limited by income when you sell them. Still, many breeders have waiting lists.
Your research bears out...health testing is major, so is temperament and pedigree. Pedigree isimportant because health testing can be good in the parents but if you find problems in the pedigree, you don't want to breed from them as the trait may come out again in your pups.
Marketing your first litter, in my opinion, happens best once the pups are here...when people see them, they want to buy. Sometimes on a first litter you have to get creative with payments, sometimes not. But leave that option open.
Having a good web page, set up to bring your business up first on certain key words (always include your location in the key words) helps. You can put flyers in vet offices and where they sell pet supplies (farm stores, but I'd stay away from pet stores.)
Network on the forums and build a reputation for yourself...tell everyone that you are breeding and what you are doing to test and make sure your pups are healthy.
The breeder who sold you your breeding stock should be a good source of customers too.
Oh, and joining organizations are good too...ALAA, Premium Breeders, etc.
Mostly, it is people seeing your dogs, so take them out a lot...have business cards...also your vet, if the vet likes your dogs, will talk to people...and after your first litter is sold, your customers will refer people to you if you are good to work with and if their puppy is great!
I think that when you donate to guide dog organizations, it should not be because you can't sell...although that is done...but I believe you select the best of your litter for the guide dog program...this is not a way to "move" unwanted merchandise...they really need the best of the best.
Contact organizations and ask them what their criteria is...and then work towards that goal.
Advertising depends on the site you select. You just need to investigate and only advertise on reputable sites...sometimes the cheap/free sites also allow puppy mill advertisement.
I hope that this has been helpful. I am glad to see you doing your research!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I can't add to anything that Jac has said. It just takes time and word of mouth, good product and honesty when working with others:)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Lieverdmom, I commend you for trying to learn as much as possible. It does seem that there are more Doodle Breeders every day, so unless you have a commitment to quality testing and standards, it might not really be worth joining in the competition. Having said that, even if I was starting today there isn't anything that could have stopped me, so again I commend you for starting by learning, reading, and inquiring.

NOBODY here who breeds Doodles sees this as the lucrative, profitable so-called business that outsiders, or puppy-buyers see it as. There are so many variables and potential pitfalls that I can't even begin to list them.

I do not think that "finding out what sells" is the best way to approach breeding but instead finding out where YOUR passion is, and what you would choose to focus on, especially at first, or at your foundation. If you have passion for your puppies, whatever generation, color or exceptional qualities they have, people will respect and catch on that your puppies are WORTH considering.

My inclination would be to NOT encourage you towards the Australian Doodles, or at least not towards purchasing exclusively those for breeding because I believe their market price is coming down as people see and learn that an F1b is just as excellent for non-shedding and temperment, without the higher price of $10k and up for an intact female. Co-ownership might be something you will want to explore as you build relationships in the Doodle World, especially if you find a mentor. But having said that, I would still say go where your passion is.

I have held that honesty is one of my qualities offered, and that was almost all I had to offer with my first successful breeding.* So I didn't even try to get the prices others were getting, and just saw this as a practice run, with some help financing or reimbursing myself for the testing that I wanted done. I thanked my first buyers for trusting me.

*my first attempt at breeding for Labradoodles ended in my Lab having a pyometra (Infected uterus) and we saved her with emergency $urgery :wink: but lost the litter. Bad stuff can happen with you and your dogs at any time and it was a tough but good lesson for us to learn at the onset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts