Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Not come when called in the yard and defy you?
-Get so excited when seeing a person or dog on a walk that all training goes down the drain?
-Jump all over a houseguest when they walk in the door OR jump all over a neighbor when on a walk?

Bogie will be 4 months old next week. Ya all know I love him to pieces and he's doing so well! BUT.........these 3 things have me concerned.
My BIGGEST concern is the first one. If he were to get loose, I don't know how we'd get him back!
Is this just puppy? Do you find yours outgrew these things?
I'm concerned.....I sooo want a dog that actually can walk to the car w/o a leash..........or dragging one. I just want to know he'll come when called when outside. Right now, I don't know if that's in our future. :roll:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The most important thing I learned in puppy pre-school was, if you puppy goes in the oppsoite direction as you or will not respond to you, call his name (happily) and run in the opposite direction, they will chase you. This has ALWAYS worked for both my doodles every time.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
When you doodle was 1.5 yrs old did he:

-Not come when called in the yard and defy you?
-Get so excited when seeing a person or dog on a walk that all training goes down the drain?
-Jump all over a houseguest when they walk in the door OR jump all over a neighbor when on a walk?
ah..sometimes, sometimes and yes

We are having a heck of a time w/the jumping for Dexter...Kirby is very good, but Dex just has such enthusiasm and love of everything that it's a constant struggle. I was so embarassed earlier this week - he jumped up to give kisses to 2 of our neighbors on our morning walk (they had coffee in their hands).

He is getting somewhat better, but it's constant training. Bogie is SO young so just keep working.

We have found the distraction method to work well when house guests come. We have these knuckle bones they LOVE and they don't get them all the time. We give them when a guest arrives only after they are sitting quietly and it has helped Dex focus his energy on the bone and not the guests.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie is a few weeks younger than Bogie but she does the SAME thing with ignoring us. I got mad at her today and dragged her in the house. I felt really bad afterwards and for now I'm only taking her out with the retractable leash on her. That gives her enough space to do her business but she can't get away.
I think we're also going to get a stake out thing with a long lead on it so she can be outside without us worrying about her running off.
Puppy classes start on Sunday. Yeah! I have so much to learn!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
All of the above! Charlie is 10 months old now and is better at coming when called and has stopped jumping on strangers on walks but it has taken awhile. If anyone encourages him, he still jumps up but at least he leaves strangers alone. :roll:

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max always came when called and it used to be PEANUT who ignored us when she hit 11mos old hahhaha i run the other way and say BYE!
she comes

max at 18mos JUST STARTED this about 3 weeks ago
and NOW I SAY BYE AND GO INSIDE
and when he comes to the door
i eat a piece of cheese THEN let him in and he doesn't get any cheese

·
Registered
150 Posts
Training, training, training! And then more training :D ! The most helpful thing that I've learned at training when using the "come" comand is to never give it unless I am sure she is going to listen. Before I call her into the house I have a couple bites of cheese, chicken, crackers or treats. She always gets big treats when she comes when called. She is 11.5 mos. old now. Tonight at intermediate training (Petsmart) she is practicing "come" with distractions. The trainer stood at the end of an isle and I at the other end and I gave her the command. She walked right passed a dog and it's owner without looking at them to get to me! She got big treats!

It will happen...hang in there! Training has made a world of difference and she started at 6 mos.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Our trainer said to give 30 seconds worth of treats when doing a recall. Can be tiny, tiny pieces but must last 30 seconds. Need to impress dog that it is really a great reward for coming when called.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK i have a question: does your hubby always come when you call him?
does your teenager always come when you call him/her?

makes sense a puppy will be the same way :wink:
gotta keep working at it hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
77 Posts
guinness had all (or more :roll: ) of those characteristics. you just have to be strict and firm about keep saying down and pushing him down when guests get in the house (it took us a bout a year and a half yikes!) but it will work.we got a electric fence and it works wonders. also if he does get loose be patient and stay calm!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay................wow!
We do the treats.......we do the ignoring.....we do going in the opposite direction.
We have come in the house and left him.....we've tried the blowing horn. He's the MOST stubborn.
I hate to leave him outside alone and come in because we have had this nasty hawk around here for years.......wish it would croak already. How the heck long do hawks live? This hawk has killed pigeons and squirrels in my yard while I have watched. It scares the heck out of me.

LOL.............you should hear me out there sometimes making all these WOOHOO sounds and patting my leg going good boy good boy c'mon!! Here mama has cookies...........as I shake the bag. He looks at me and goes and bites a pile of old leaves.
It's much worse for my husband. HE actually started all the training for sit etc. But I walk him everyday. He's listening to me a bit more, but not quite enough.

Question.....our vet said no puppy classes until he's 16 weeks and all shots done...that's next week. Some of you it seems started earlier?? I think we needed to go yesterday but waited until he was also done with his intestinal garbage.
I think he'll be okay in time.........but I just hate starting bad habits.

Sadie also mentioned the stake.........I think we'll try that. But when he's not walking and is leashed in any way shape or form...........he just sits there biting the leash.
On walks, he starts biting the leash and I just say LETS GO and bust into a speed walk.....then he stops. If I stop to talk to anyone.......after he's done jumping on them and lying on his back for a belly rub........lol...........he starts leash biting.
Maybe I'm expecting too much. He is a sweet dog and is learning many things quickly. But, hey! that could be a problem if he learns to just do his own thing and not come when called.

·
Registered
576 Posts
:p LOL, I do the bag shaking this too and Sadie does the leash biting. Hopefully it's just the age and in a few years :? we won't have to deal with it anymore :roll:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Linda, Well it is too bad your vet doesn't want puppy classes until all your shots are done. We went to a class where all the puppy's had to have their age specific shots complete and have a negative stool test. All the dogs were clients of the vet so it was a safe environment. The classes help a lot. Just teaching the basics and learning to take a long walk on a lease help the pup to know you are in charge. Abbey starts puppy class 2 on Sunday and we are looking forward to it. She seems to respond well to the discipline.

Abbey is five months now. I've noticed a big improvement in her behavior in the last few weeks. Also her potty urges are not so immediate. She can wait a bit. We had one emergency where Abbey took off (she was off lease) and when we called her she came right back to us. As the pups get more mature their behavior seems to improve. We just keep working with her. So time is on your side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took Molly to obedience classes and the trainer advised to keep all our dogs on long leash (30 ft. nylon rope) until we have 100 % recall. I admit I took Molly off too soon because she has started ignoring me and want to do the chase me chase me thing. Needless to say she's back on the long leash whenever we're walking now - if she doesn't listen I have the chance to step on the leash and reel her in if she ignores me. She has a different attitude when on the long line - pays more attention. Also the trainer stated sometimes it's helpful to leave a short section of rope with the clip on it attached to the dogs collar once you trust the dog to be off leash - gives them the feeling of the long line.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Linda, coming when called can be a real toughie. I even posted a question about it on the My Smart Puppy forum run by Sarah Wilson, and got some great answers. I also talked to Chouette's trainer about it. Number one rule is, don't give the command "Bogie, come!" unless you can reinforce it. And don't try it off leash until he's 99% good on leash. If you want the dog to come but don't have him on a leash or have another means of following up, say things like, "C'mon, boy! C'mon, c'mon." Just don't use The Command if you can't make him do it. He has to learn that there's an instantaneous automatic response to those magic words.

I actually bought a "long light lead," as recommended on the MSP forum, and kept Chouette attached to it when I took her outside. It was about 30' long and I let her drag it after her; it was surprisingly resistant to snagging on things. Then if I wanted to call her I'd grab the end and say, "Chouette, come!" If she didn't come immediately I'd give the lead a pop. I had to find a high hook on the porch to hang it on so it didn't tangle frustratingly when it was off her. And we no longer need to use it, but it was handy when we did.

She has never actually refused to come in the end. Her behavior is more the "shall I or shan't I?" sort of response. When she's in a mood, I'll call her and she'll just sit (or stand) and look at me, weighing her options. But if I start towards her she suddenly gathers herself up and comes barreling toward me. I also took a leaf out of Annmarie's book and now keep treats by the door. She gets one if she comes instantly. If she doesn't respond right away (usually because the cat's being a tease and distracting her) she doesn't get a treat, although she always gets praised.

Anyway, she turned 9 months old yesterday and she's almost perfect with the recall now. Not quite so good with DH, but he doesn't put her through her paces, either.

Another thing to keep in mind (this post is getting lo-o-o-ong!) is that you do have to remind the dog that you're in charge. That means making him sit before you pat him, treat him, or play with him - it's like saying "Please." And it also means that you precede him through doors and down halls. And use the "down" command about ten times a day. All this gets it across to him that you call the shots, and it's amazing what it does for general obedience.

Leslie

G

·
hahahahaha you almost made me spit out my drink!!! Maya does all of those things and she is 9 mos old!!! Now she will come when called when she wants and she will not jump on me but other then that....We did Petsmart training and she will run past another dog, a tennis ball, sometimes a bone, cat food forget it...but it's like anything else. Training, training, training and more training! They will get it eventually (at least I hope!!)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Annmarie...neither my husband nor my children come to me when called. My throat hurts from having to do so much calling!!! :x They use to listen but at ages 7,7 and almost 5 they have decided to not be so good at that this time! :x :x :x :x :x

When my husband has something negative to say about Angel (like the hair on his suit pants or the dead grass), I remind him that she actually comes when called, is ALWAYS happy to see me and makes less messes than my 4 year old!!! So, on most days she is my most well behaved "child"!

Bogie's Mom...have patience...he'll get better with age and LOTS of practice and training classes! Bitter Apple for the leash chewing! Just spray the leash.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver did all of the above as a puppy
Jumping on people and not listening and everything else that
he was not supposed to do...........
And like previously said, training and training and then when we thought we
were done more training. Maturity has brought a lot of very good behaviour but I believe all that training is really sinking in.
One day it really will pay off you will see .................

We keep treats at the door and our friends know that when they come over they are to tell Denver to sit and then he gets a treat if he sits and does not jump up. He has not jumped at people for quite a few months now.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
hey, Sue! Good idea.....Coco will do anything for a treat! That just might work.

Oh, and by the way, she still jumps on visitors....ones that come to the door, come in the house, or that we meet on a walk, or in Petco.

She just tonight....first time EVER.....she DID NOT JUMP ALL OVER MY BOYS AND THEIR GIRLFRIENDS AS THEY CAME IN THE FRONT DOOR!!
Now that is an absolute MIRACLE!!! I was in shock!
Now to do it again.....we'll see.
8)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, and she sometimes still WILL NOT come when called.....She turns to look at me....and think about it.
Abby however, the younger one....comes almost instantly when I call her.
Coco follows only because she wants to play with Abby.
Abby gets a treat and Coco does not....but I am not sure she gets why that is.
8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts