Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what have you noticed in the "coat" for adulthood. Does a wavy puppy grow up into a curly coat? Is a curly puppy more fleecy vs. wooly when they grow up? Or do you never really know until they blow thier pyppy coat?
~Jenny

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
wavy usually equals fleece (yummy)

curly = grooming :)

but they can change so pick a couple and watch their coats :)

so exciting!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max started out straight with slight wave down his back. NOW he has the scruffy benji look and coarse textured and extremely low grooming but i still brush him daily for relaxation. His coat changes every 4-5 weeks ...gets flattened down look and straighter then goes back to wavy again.

I do know those with a very wavy/curly coat are more grooming and can be prone to matting but ususally are non-shedding.
Max is low shedding since he was 6mos old and now 7.5mos old and probably blowing his puppy coat.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree...in our litters the wavy coats are really something when they grow up! Yummy is right! (And curl DOES indeed = grooming!)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Our labradoodle had a wavy coat as a puppy, but now has the curly (high maintenance!) coat. We had her shaved at around 12 months of age because her coat was badly matted after a summer of swimming. Her coat came in very curly. It looks cute but mats very easily. Although on the up side, she does not shed at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you look at Otto`s back you can see how the hair is starting to curl. this used to be fluff and frizz. The hair that comes out is from the tail and beside his bottom, where the hair is straight and long, we call him otto fluffy bum, friends of ours have a German name for him.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
curls and shedding are separate!

hi everyone, I really think that the puppy coat gives CLUES about the adult coat, or can, concerning shedding, but the amount, or presence of curls and waves has nothing to do with shedding!

The bottom line is that shedding and curls are NOT related, at all, altho a thick wool coat does seem to have at least some curl to it, in my experience. I think a wool coat is fairly equal to a full poodle, what about you other breeders?

Everytime I have someone over to look at pupies I give them a couple from the same litter to roll the fur in their fingers, to feel the different textures, and I teach which is which. But I stress that curl is separate. I can show you a VERY curly guy whose coat is coarse like a Lab and he sheds like a Lab...and I have VERY straight-coated, non-shedding (fleece) coated boys on my website....look at the silver one on our Puppies page, for example:

Here's a curly guy with a very Lab-like texture, yet he has beautiful golden curls on his back!

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about this coat? What do you thik this would be? Possible 2nd pet(and I have not even gotten the first) :? 10 week old male Big or Little?
40%Dam (Silver Standard Poodle) 40%Sire (American Yellow Lab.)
Ohh and 20% Monkey :lol:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
what a cutie!!
Is the coat uniformly textured? Or does there seem to be 2 layers to it, one that is coarser than the other?

A coat that is uniformly textured and fine, like silky, is probably not a shedding coat, in my experience.

I would love to see how this guy looks when he grows into all that silvering!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His coat is uniformly textured, very soft! Does he look big, his paws are quite large and the breeder said the males from this litter last year were about 70 lbs on average. Can you tell size at this age? Does that brown on his face turn silver and on the paws and beard?
Hes is just soooo cute!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
He is adorable!! I love his coloring, yes, he will turn shades of silver...his coloring is exactly like my Lexie's was at that age.
I think he will be close to 70 lbs, if the breeder says so, they usually know, based on past litters.
If a puppy will shed (a lot) you usually know by around 8-10 weeks of age...if it is a light shedder, you may not know until later.
I can almost always tell just by gently pulling at their coat...if you get hair...you may have a shedder!
The one pup that we had that did shed a lot was shedding (a lot) at 8 weeks! You could pet him and see the hair fly, when he was sitting in the sunshine.
Maureen is absolutely right...the coat type is not a definate indicator of shedding...just a general rule.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOW.. I didn't realize puppies would shed at 8-10wks old!!! I heard of it but really didn't quite believe it. I am glad you posted this info.

max (f1 labradoodle) who was blowing puppy coat for past 7 weeks at an alarming rate at one time---seems to have almost completely stopped now but we find a few hairs here and there.He seems to have a fleece coat , i think. i get confused at times between

OK can any breeders re-define hair vs fleece coat again?

Peanut a goldendoodle are stated to shed less then labradoodle or almost have a shedding quality inbtween a f1 and f1b labradoodle.
Since she's been born there's never a hair on anyone or the floor. she's almost like having a stuffed animal toy. she's going on 12wks.

PS I LOVE the pictures of the different doodles and their coats!

OH that black guy with silvering is so cute and unique looking ( meant affectionately)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MaxandMe said:
OH that black guy with silvering is so cute and unique looking ( meant affectionately)
Oh, you mean the monkeydoodle...lol
I am wondering what color his nose will be?
It's funny I did not realize the coloring would turn silver, I thought it was going to be brown. See how much I know .
~Jenny

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Jenny, don't worry about how much you know...I've heard people who think they are experienced reference the brown on a Doodle's face and wonder if that's a sign of carrying the chocolate color! (definitely not, by the way)

The truth is that the hair around the face is often wet....that wet paintbrush thing we love so much.... :wink: and in the sunshine it helps the black fur bleach out to a brownish red tint. Black show-dogs NEVER stay outside cuz of the risk of getting sunbleached, or the actually dye their coats if they don't look jet black!

But this boy is going to be a striking beauty for sure.

Are you going to take him home? If so when?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ann Marie, people get confused...but in reality, a hair coat is actually a Poodle coat. A Poodle has hair as opposed to fur.
A fleece coat has to do with texture and appearance...it is much like angora...very soft, wavy and about 3-4 inches long.

Thanks Jenny! Here are a couple of pictures of Lexie when she started to turn:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok now i am confused jac...hahhahahaa

doesn't matter. I love max no matter what kind of hair/coat/fur he has or hasn't hahahhahaa

his coat is wavy, scurffy looking, someparts soft others coarser textured, barely sheds and give tons of kisses hugs and love!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts