Labradoodle Forums banner

When should you switch from Puppy Food to Dog Food?

• 8 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 Months

• 10 Months

• 11 Months

• One Year

• After One Year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age do you think you should switch from Puppy Food to Dog Foor. Does it depend on the brand of food you are using? Bailey is getting close to 7 months old.

We currently feed Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice and Oatmeal. The bag says it is for puppies up to a year old.

So, what do you think. Did you switch (or do you plan to switch) before a year old, at a year old, or after a year old.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I switched to "Canidae all life stages" way back when Denver was around
5 months old he is 10 months old now. So it probably does matter what you want to switch to.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I always switch my puppies at 6 mos of age :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
6 to 7mos for me . You can also always ask your vet too.

i am now using CANIDAE all life stages which is made for both puppies and adult dogs...just the amount you serve is different. ONE of the reasons i chose it since i have 2 doodles. Also only food to-date Max tolerates well digestively. no gas anymore :D firm poops now and BOTH doodles ADORE canidae

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
HALLALUJAH :!: :!: I'm glad you have found something that poor Max can eat without having problems. Hopefully this is an answer to your prayers :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I switched Cinnamon when she was about 11 months. I didn't want to buy another bag of puppy food and she was close to a year anyway. I was told by my vet to keep her on puppy food because she was a large breed dog and the puppy food would help her bones grow. Puppy food has more calcium in it than adult food.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
movistar said:
6 months for standard labradoodle (not on poll)
Thanks for your reply. I tried to edit the poll to add 6 and 7 months as choices, but it won't let me edit it now. Maybe a Sys Admin can add it.

I'm reading several people are switching before a year. What is the reasoning? Sounds like Canidae you can feed 'adult' at any age, since it is ALL STAGES, is this correct?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Zman...i would talk to your vet as each dog is different with different requirements. For us with Max and his size, activity level (high) and weight at the time he switched over to adult food at 6 .5 mos old.

with canidae though we don't worry about adult or puppy just the amount to feed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts