Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any feelings about if there is a good/bad time to get another dog? My doodle is 10 months old now and we really think he needs a friend.

Are we ok to wait until next spring when he is a little older, or is it better to do it now?

Should we be looking for another dog the same age, younger, or older?

I'm sure a lot of this is subjective, but I appreciate anyone's thoughts/experience with this.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Be careful - I can see the signs - You are on your way to being a Doodleholic :lol: You can blame it on your 10 mo old Doodle needing a companion but don't kid yourself, come on-fess up-you're really the one wanting another Doodle :wink:

All kidding aside, only you can answer the questions you have asked. Some people like to buy 2 Doodles as puppies and grow them up together, that way they go thru the puppy stages all at once and it's over and that works for them. Others don't want to deal with having 2 puppies and will buy one and then wait several months or a year and buy another. At whatever age your Doodle is when you decide the time is right and you are ready for another addition, the Doodles will be best of friends. Even if you buy an 8 wk old puppy, you will be amazed at how your 10 mo. old will be very careful around him/her (most of the time anyways).

The only thing better than a Labradoodle, is TWO Labradoodles, or 3 or 4 or......... :lol: Yeah, I'm an addict :!:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We ended up with our 2nd doodle almost 4 months to the day that we got our first. Lani was 8 weeks when we picked her up in Feb. We got Toby at 11 weeks, we picked him up the day after fathers day. It has been crazy with a 6 month old and a 3 month old. I'm gald we got him, Lani is in heaven and Toby has bonded with her and us (he had about 15 -20 playmates at the breeder's). There are times I think I was insane to do this but I would not change a thing! :D You have to decide when you are ready, but it sounds like you are on your way! Good luck with whatever you decide. I love my double doodles! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Boy, you have been given some great advice!
I agree that you have to be ready too...not just your dood. Then, when you feel like you can take on the responsibility, I think a puppy is a better choice.
The reason is that most older dogs are pretty tolerant of a puppy. They play well together and usually don't have the issues older dogs would...you know, food guarding, top dog designation...stuff like that.
Plus, an older dog may have issues with training or temperament...still, a rehome is a good thing, if you can find the right dog.
Where are you from? We might be able to give you some suggestions...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester is 2 years old and we just got Archie who is now 14 weeks. It amazing how much puppy stuff we kind of forgot because Chester was a piece of cake to train. Archie is just more everything---curious, chewy, brave...I couldn't imagine 2 Archies.
He and Chester have bonded...even though you can see Chester's look of "get this dang puppy away from me" sometimes.

Sometime I feel like I should go to a meeting---Hello, my name is Annette and I am a Doodle addict...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have been told in no uncertain terms will there be a third puppy! :shock: I have to admit two is my limit (for now). I am on to helping others become doodle addicts :lol: I'm hoping another one will be comning to our town soon, I'm at least trying!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I found this post on another site that I thought might be helpful:

Overall, I never think it's a good idea to raise two Puppies at the same time. Each puppy that anyone acquires, IMO, requires individual time and attention. Too many people get 2 Puppies thinking that the Puppies will be friends and keep each other company and think that the human involved can therefore do/provide less. That's not right.

I feel that Puppies should be spaced out over a year to 18 months. Once you've spent quality time raising and training one, you're better experienced to raise/train the second *and* the older one will help you train the second.

Two unruly youngsters together will tend to bond to one another and give a rat's patootie about you. They will be so busy playing and pestering each other that they will tend not to listen to you. It's more difficult to housebreak two at the same time because when one goes, the other almost immediately follows and if you're not watching carefully and an accident occurs, there you are not knowing who did it and who's not getting the concept.

Unless you're a very experienced Dog owner, I would never advise raising two at the same time.

Beyond that, there is the issue that certain males do not want to coexist with other males once they reach maturity

According to this person, you are very close to her recommended age for getting another puppy. :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
a couple of corrections

Raising 2 dogs together in my experience (over 25yrs) normally works out wonderful,,you can train them together,bond with them ,all at the same time,,you are part of the pack and the pack leader no matter if its one or 10,,,It much easier to housebreak 2 at a time rather then one, they get into a routine, its all just being consistant in that routine
Males if altered coexist fine,, even my intact males do well together if they are not in the same area a in heat female is in, just some info :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - thanks everybody for all the great advice!

For now, I'll been keeping an eye on the rehome boards, maybe a fantastic F1B will show up in NJ... If anyone ever hears of one that is trained, good with kids & other dogs, & doesn't shed (gotta dream big :lol: ), please PM me!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 10 year-old Belgian had just passed away and Flash, my gsd/dob mix, was 12 months old when I took in Gus and his sister, originally as fosters. I won't lie to you...it wasn't easy at all. I decided to adopt Gus and I was relieved when Gus' sister was adopted and we were back to a two-dog household. Flash suddenly had a less-grumpy playmate and Gus had a big brother to show him the ropes. On the downside, my family room has been 'Wrestling at the Chase' ever since. IMO, it does makes training your new puppy a lot easier.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, I want to weigh in on the multi dog household too...we started with 2 Labradoodle puppies, sisters. It was both easier and more difficult.
The easy part is that they do learn from each other. We had one extremely smart girl and one a bit timid...so the smart, daring one, learned everything very quickly...then I would watch as she patiently taught her sister! She really did...she would do things like go in and out of the doggie door, looking over her shoulder at her sister...then she would poke her nose through and back out and look at her sister. It was amazing. She also taught her sister how to do stairs.
They have been so close. It is really heartwarming to see them together.
They comfort each other and made crate training/potty training and play time so much easier for me. (One dog will require your time and attention all the time, but when they have playmates, they don't.)

The down side...they play really hard and can become destructive. Your house is much dirtier! (Lots of dust is carried in on these beautiful coats!)
What one doesn't think of, the other does.
Good training is easier (the fun stuff...sit, stay, down, etc.) but the reprimand and teaching NOT do do things was tougher. (They never knew which one was getting the stern voice so they both would grab a toy and wag up to me trying to apologize...too cute!)

I suggest that you separate them often...there WILL be times that you need to and it will be really hard on them if they are not used to it. It doesn't hurt to keep them in the same crate, but take them out for walks alone, leaving the other at home...and take one for a drive without the other...maybe to the park...etc. (That is really hard because it breaks your heart...but it will be better in the long run.)

Don't expect them to be on the same level...one will react differently than the other...for better or worse...they are not the same, even if siblings.

Teach them things like "leave it, drop it, and stay in your place" early on! You will need that to control them...one will be chewing on a rock while the other is digging in your garden...things like that.

Still, if I were to say which I prefer...easily...I would say two at once! I love being surrounded by all of this love, fur, kisses and wagging tails! (We now have the 2 Labradoodles, 1 standard Poodle, one Goldendoodle and usually a litter of puppies coming or going!) I love it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have to chime in here because I was in your exact situation 5 months ago. My Summer was 10 months old when we re-homed Duke from a wonderful breeder on this board. Duke was 6 months at the time. They get along just wonderfully and I couldn't have asked for two better dogs. The only thing I would caution you on is training. It is definitely harder with more than one, and they bring out the worst in each other :twisted:
LOL! I would make sure that your current dog is very well trained before you get another one. Summer was very well trained before we got Duke, but at times it seems they incite each other to riot (LOL!!!). Example: when the doorbell rings. With one, you can control them by yourself. With two, you need at least one that will respond reliably to you.
But other than that, I am definitely the wrong person to ask, because I love having two. So, if you training is up to it, go for it! It is so much fun for me and for them. They love each other dearly, it is so much fun watching them interact. Summer and Duke are like polar opposites, but I love their personalities. You'll have so much fun with two, I'm sure you will wonder why you waited LOL!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
279 Posts
Two, Two, Two!

That's my vote... When George and Grace were puppies there were about 10 times I was sure we had made the biggest mistake of our lives getting two at the same time. (I'm not sure I ever would have two of the same age again...) But WE LOVE IT now. They are the best exercise possible for each other. When they aren't running and chasing and rolling in the grass, they're asleep on the porch in a heap. It IS much more difficult to train them, but I agree that separating them for outings and for training sessions is important. George and Grace each go with us in our cars for short trips every day. Sometimes we ALL go, but they are accustomed to going separately too. I think it's good for them to have down time, and they are so happy to see each other when they get back together. Oh, I could go on and on. I had great trepidation about getting two, but now, I will always have two, if I'm able. Just know that training will take a little more time and lots of consistency.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have recently had an experience that I want to share, since you are making this decision...

I sold 2 puppies to a family and the woman buying them was so happy...what I didn't realize is that her husband was not really ready for this big of a commitment...and when the puppies arrived, it was too much for the family to deal with.

So, my puppies are coming back home to us...and I am happy that they are...and I have absolutely NO ill feelings toward this family...I just think that sometimes people don't really consider the realistic problems in dealing with a puppy...and certainly not when looking at having two. This really is not for everyone.

My husband and I were discussing this and realized that what made it work for us is that he and I were BOTH committed to the puppies...we put our value on the puppies and their well being more than on the "things" that they could/would/did destroy. I don't want to make light of this situation for you because it really IS a huge adjustment.

You do have one dog, not in the puppy stage...which is in your favor because you know what to expect...but not all dogs and puppies are the same...you may have problems with the puppy that you didn't have with your other dog.

I just want you to be totally honest with yourselves about the reality of your circumstances...because once the dogs are placed and uprooted from their littermates...it is really sad to have it not work out for them.

For me, personally, and for my husband...the more dogs around, the better we like it. But for many people...the energy and destruction that undobutedly will accompany a puppy is just more than they are ready to embrace.

I am glad that you are taking this decision very seriously and that you are carefully weighing the pros and cons.

I wish you all the best in your decision!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good words, Jac, and very appropriate. My husband and I both work out of home, we have no children at home, we live on 20 acres, and we both love dogs passionately. Even with these positives, there were times when it was really difficult with two. I'm glad you told your story about the littermates that came back to you. I get carried away with the wonder of the two of them sometimes.

Jac is right...this is a huge decision and should only be undertaken very thoughtfully.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks, Lisa...as you can see from my earlier posts, I get carried away with the wonder too and since it is so natural for me and for my husband to be totally taken with dogs that it is hard for me to think of a negative situation...that's why when this happened, I had a huge wake up call...I will be much more careful with my advice in the future...as much as I adore my dogs, it is truly not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Last night emailed the link for this conversation to the family of one of Lani's littermates. She is thinking of getting another doodle. Hopefully she checks this out. I am so glad this forum is available, so much support and information! Thanks to all! :D Jac your puppies are so lucky to have you! Hopefully they will find a forever home. In my case ignorance was bliss, just like when we had our kids (they are 19 months apart). Having two puppies has been wonderful, but If I wasn't able to be home this summer I'm not sure I would have done it! Yes this is a decision that has to be made carefully and thoughtfully.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts