Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We plan to purchase an F1b Labradoodle soon. From all the great ino on this site, I'm convinced that my #1 priority in picking out a puppy is temperament. When discussing the qualities/characteristics of the sire & dam that may be my potential puppy's parents, the breeders offer good info on the temperament, size, color etc of each parent.

Test results are also important to me, so I can have some assurance that the parents have been tested & gotten good results. At what time is it appropriate for a potential buyer to ask about test results of the potential parents? Is this something that I should ask about in order to help me decide which litter I want to pick from? Should I ask to see the actual test results before commiting to a litter or giving a deposit? I don't want to jump the gun and ask for documentation that a breeder wouldn't normally provide until the puppy is purchased/going home, but how can a potential owner make sure they know those results before they commit?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd ask BEFORE giving a deposit and discuss it in the first call
they can send you copies of test results and/or they may have them posted on their website
also for OFA you can go to OFA website and search the results yourself
but if they did PennHip they have a copy

also ask on the forum if others have gotten dogs from a particular breeder and/or if other breeders that fully test know of this breeder and/or done business with them

these are not total guarantees but it is part of the TRUST BUT VERIFY method
a good breeder is willing to provide test results if they have nothing to hide and know you need it to commit

i'd have a hard time swallowing a $300-$500 deposit on a person's word alone and then take chance of losing a deposit or getting a dog other than stated on a website

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Amy, you are very wise.
Ask right away...if the breeder balks, keep looking. No breeder who tests and gets good scores will have any problem showing them to you!
I always give a copy to my puppy families when they get the pup, but if they ask before that, I am happy to oblige.
Also feel free to discuss the meaning of the results with them and why they seleceted the breeding stock they did...we love to talk about our dogs and our programs, especially when someone actually cares to know how much we put into it!
Please feel free to PM me and I can give you some ideas, if you want. (No, I don't have pups available! LOL)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Jac said:
I always give a copy to my puppy families when they get the pup, but if they ask before that, I am happy to oblige.
Same here, I would have no problem offering proof of testing before a deposit was placed. None at all.

(That reminds me I want to get Copper's results scanned in!)

As for why have I chosen a specific breeding dog? Now that's an interesting question! I will have to think about that for a while, since obviously I value temperment and we have 4 fabulous family pets, but other than that.....hmmmmm. Good questions!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, Maureen, without much thought you hit the nail on the head for the most part...temperament!
I choose temperament, intelligence, and health...then I try for good coats! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts