Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post to the board. We got our labradoodle, Wilson, about a month ago. He is 7 months old now. I have a ton of questions but figured I would start out with just one.

When is it ok to let him sleep out of the crate at night? Wilson came to us crate trained and pretty much housetrained. He's done really well around the house for the past 2 weeks - no accidents! :D Right now he sleeps in a crate in our bedroom at night. My husband feels bad and doesnt want to crate him at night. Any suggestions for how to tell if he's ready, other than just not crate him and keep our fingers crossed???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

we let our LD sleep outside of their crate from about 6 months of age - no accidents at all. If you're confident he's housebroken, and don't let him drink after his last walk, you should be fine!

Michael.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi. Welcome! Our Biscuit, 6 months old, has been getting comfortable on my floor by my bed. Sometimes, he jumps up and tries to sleep with me. But, I keep my bedroom door shut and he seems to stay right by my side all night. So far, so good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ziggy turned 5 months old yesterday and has been sleeping in my room out of his crate for the last month - no accidents. The only time we have him crated is when we go out. :D
We leave our bedroom door closed and even when my hubby or I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom Ziggy doesn't budge.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We actually don't let our dogs sleep in our bedroom (my wife has allergies and even though she never has had any reaction to our Labradoodles - we decided to keep one room in the house "dog free", so she could have ~8 hours a day of no allergens). The endearing thing is, our dogs sleep AGAINST our bedroom door, to be as close as possible to us ;) They start to sleep there when we go to bed, during the night they move from there to the couch or doggie bed, and when we wake up the morning, they have move backed to our bedroom door, to be sure to be there as soon as we get out ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Wilson's mom! I say go for it! Our dogs sleep with us, and I really think it helped re-enforce the potty training. They learn that your room/house is their den, and they hold it until you let them out. You can always try it out- if it doesn't work, just put him back in the crate at night and try again in a month or so!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Wilsonsmom, welcome!

I agree with the others, if he is housebroken and you and your husband are both okay with him being out of the crate, I'd give it a try.

I would leave the crate in there, door open, too...my dogs will sleep on the bed sometimes, on the dog bed sometimes, on the hard, flagstone floor sometimes, and sometimes in the crate!

A word of caution, if Wilson is a chewer, you might find that he uses this time to sneak shoes, books/magazines, slippers, or even to chew on window sills, chest of drawer, things like that. I'd keep the bedroom door shut because my dogs liked to pull stuffing out of sofas... :roll:

Until you know what your dog likes to do when he is roaming free, I'd keep him nearby...besides, if you like it, they LOVE to sleep on the bed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone - thanks for the advice! We've let Wilson be out of the crate at night for the past 2 nights and he's done great! No interest in sleeping in his crate or on his dog bed. Seems to like to sleep outside of my kids bedroom doors (we just close their doors and gate in the upstairs.

So far so good - he hasn't gotten into any trouble at night! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That's great! Isn't it interesting how they find their own' favorite place? For whatever reason, this baby wants to be near your children...that must make you feel very secure.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Ok guys--last night my husband fell asleep on the couch so I invited Dakota into bed with me to watch TV for awhile before bed. We had played quite hard and he was tired. Shortly, he retreated from my bed to his pen. Usually, I would close the door to the pen for the night, but after reading all of your comments, I instead closed the bedroom door and left the pen door open. I went to sleep about an hour later--all Dakota had done was to retreat further into his pen. At 2:00am, I woke up with a doodle wrapped around my neck!! Since my husband showed no signs of leaving his comfy couch, I let Dakota snuggle with me for the rest of the night!
Diane

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You gotta love that! :D
Of, course, you know where the term "three dog night" comes from, don't you? Seriously, before the heat sources we now have, dogs slept with people and helped keep them warm...on a really cold night, they would say "This is a three dog night!" (You only need two more, Diane!)

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have a high bed that I have to have a stool to climb into. I've always loved it, but now I love it more, because the doods sleep UNDER the bed. They have made it their den. It's not tall enough for them to stand up under there, but they kind of belly crawl under and stay all night. It's one more bit of evidence that dogs love dens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts