Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. Exactly how much close attention does a brand new litter of puppies require? I have it in mind that it's pretty much a full time endeavor for a couple of months. Doesn't Mom need to eat 3-4 times a day, and go outside more often?

I had houseguests due this spring, first to have been a friend and her sister, now possibly just the friend, so the friend might not be as comfortable touring by herself. When these plans were made, I didn't have a dog, but since Deva has arrived in heat, things have moved at warp speed, and I now might have puppies arriving three days ahead of the company.

I'm concerned that my friend is assuming I'll be able to play. A third friend is pressuring me to take off and play tour guide, on the premise that the mother will take care of her puppies and I won't be needed. That sounds way too cavalier to me. Any thoughts from those of you who've been there? Please?

Obviously I plan to give the pups whatever they need, but think the guest deserves advance notice of just exactly how absent I will be.... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
ALot of time

in 5 yrs i have had a 3day vacation

its a daily job, 24/7, making sure pups are not laid on
interaction so they are socalized, constant fresh water food
correction when they play to rough

Its really a big commitment

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Me either

but after 5yrs im really ready for a break,
my daughter in law is takin over here

Seriously 3days in 5yrs is not enough

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks me too!!

My daugter in law is really good ,as soon as i place some older labs,poodles,goldens and doodles ,reducing my kennel it will be better,,just tired and have been sick,,feeling a bit pitiful,,dont mind me,,LOL :lol: This too shall pass

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Deb, I would suggest that your guest stay in a hotel. Really.
People, especially "touring" people, can track in an number of diseases and parasites that could affect your puppies.
And, even though the timing of puppies is bad...we have to change our lives to accommodate them. They do need your attention 24/7.
Sure, the mother takes care of them for the first week or two, but you have to continually watch for fading puppies, keep mom healthy, exercised, and sane.
I recently heard of a breeder who lost the mother after 7 days, due to mastitas (sp?) and had to hand raise a full litter of puppies...you have to be aware of these things and watchful for any slight change or problem.
Besides, a mother dog would be very upset with strangers in the house around her babies...I can tell you that you can't predict what a new mother dog will do or when she will feel threatened.
So, as wonderful as it is to have puppies, the responsibility and changes in our lives are enormous.
I'd stand firm against the visitor...it may cause problems, but it sounds to me like you want to tend to your puppies...and that you should do.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jac, thanks so much for your insight on this one. I had not even considered the kind of stuff that the guest could track in from her travels. Since she will be interested in outdoor type stuff, the possibilities are endless.

I'll definitely postpone the visit if Deva checks in whelp at the 35 day ultrasound, in fact will give the friend a heads up as to the possibility of a cancellation if she starts to show any signs of pink nipples, etc, before then.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Deb, you are a good, caring person and I know that this is a hard decision for you. I can say that from my experience, I have honestly lost (or at least replaced) many friendships due to the lack of understanding that the friends have about my devotion to my dogs.
In fact, you know that I am trying to take the Bar Exam in Feb...well, I have had 2 litters of puppies...guess where my priorities have been?
I'll still take the Bar...but I don't expect to pass. (Unless they have a dog whelping question...then I might pull in a BUNCH of points! LOL)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry. Jac, my dad took the bar exam three times..... (that according to his cousin, he neglected to share that information with his kids.... :wink: ) and went on to have a fine career.

You're going to get through it! You Go!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words, Jac. I can't say that it's a hard decision at all. Disappointing of course, but not something that I have to deliberate over for a second. My obligation is to the dam and her pups.

Here's hoping you get the dog whelping question on the Bar!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you know what? i got to thinking.

When my kids were small I lost some friendships due to not letting others in my house or visit during illnesses!! Or some said i was spending too much time with my kids and overprotective!! yeah right!!

scenario 1: 2 week old daughter, someone in family when leaving says oh yeah I have walking pnemonia!!! :shock: they're banned.
scenario 2: 5yr old son recouping from mono NO immune system...banned everyone from any visits..OH just have sinus infection don't worry---NOPE stay away
scenario 3: 2 yr old son doesn't act right, can't figure it out told don't worry! ...on vacation too find a doctor after 3hours of calls...get to doctor's and son was Emergency case with scarlet fever !!!

POINT....doesn't matter if they're kids or dogs. Protect them, and yes it is a responisibilty!!! 24/7
IF family /friends don't understand...OH WELL!!!
the health of your pets and kids is the most important.

Mastitis is a nasty infection and painful. a MOTHER dog would not be able to nurse then

SORRY to go on and on ....but I also am this way with MAX too.
Someonein family has new puppy and said till all shots are up-todate etc not to come visit.

I'd rather have someone put off by me then to risk Max's health and/or my family's!!!
KNOW what? family and friends will always be there for future visits
but when there's a possiblity a visitor could come in carrying a disease....why take the chance.
Bettter to be safe than sorry.....and you really do find out who your true fiends are in times like these

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Ditto all of the above :!: The first few weeks, momma does most of the cleanup of the puppies but it is a 24/7 job for you to make sure that momma stays healthy and that the puppies are out of harms way. This is a wonderful job but it isn't for everyone. It sounds like you have what it takes :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey dixie,
Glad you taught momma to do the laundry, get her own water, etc..lol...BUT she does do the raising of the pups ITS all the other things that needs our attention. Especial the mom, and dad. We agree with all the posts in this discussion just wanted to add a lil humor...lol

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Boy, if only I could :!: I could make a fortune training momma's in waiting :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dixiedi, you come right on out here to southern California and teach my Deva how to do laundry and scoop poop! The California foothills stand ready to welcome you!

Of course the first step is to check in whelp. Are the teats supposed to shrink a bit on an experienced mama after they come out of heat? I'm eagerly reading the "Pregnancy Calendar" that I printed, to follow the progress of my proposed little blastocystes. If we arrive at morning sickness at Feb 12-19, I surely hope it's not a false pregnancy!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Depending on when your poopies are due, Southern California might trump Rhode Island in March, though we're so far behind on our rainfall this "El Nino" (read monsoons) year, that I expect we may have another "Miracle March" in the rainfall department.

Hey, good news on the proposed houseguest! I just spoke with my friend and advised her of the possible dilema with houseguesting and new pups' immune systems. She understands completely, and suggests we reschedule as necessary. Fortunately she's in the airline business, so won't have to worry about the expense of changed reservations. Whew!

Thanks a million to those of you who made input here. Saved a litter, perhaps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts