Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I love to marvel at how smart the breed is--so it's time to brag! What's the smartest thing your doodle has done? the best trick? The moment you realized "uh oh, this little guy is bright!"

For us it was when Wes was about 10 weeks old and he peed on the floor. He looked up at us and then went and grabbed his blanket from his crate and pulled it over the mess. We knew then that we were doomed!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
when Peanut was 9 wks old and she CLIMBED out of her xpen the 3rd day we had her :shock:

Max.......everything he does is smart hahahhahaaa

and
Beau notices everything that gets mover/rearranged in this house
and the 4th day we had him he figured out how to open the food container and on week 2 figured out how to get off the seams on the backs of wool throw rugs :shock:

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me, I'd have to say, it's when Tigger decides he no longer wants to be outside, he goes to the back door, and with his front legs turns the door knob until it opens and lets everyone in...... :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Everybody knows I have Mr. Perfect........................
One of the best he did with no training from us was to go into the yard
after one of the cats got out and he herded her back into the house.
It was amazing to watch because it was like watching a border collie herding sheep, where did he learn this??????????????
All we said when she got out was "round her up Denver " and to our
shock and amazement he did..............

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rowen knows how to open the front door :? It's a good thing we live on a cul-de-sac in a not extremely busy neighborhood.. I have often turned around to find him right behind me when I'm out front! Pretty much anything Rowen does is smart though :lol:
Also- Rowen rings the bell on the door to go outside when he wants something that Baron has. Knowing that Baron will run to the door immediately, Rowen runs to Baron's bone, food, or chew toy and steals it while he's gone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mazi pretty regularly will fetch a specified toy, as in "Get the purple bone" or "Get the Mazi ball" but she always gets the Kong Toy on the first try. I put peanut butter in it when she brings it on request. What a Brainydoodle!
:wink: Kathi

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I can't brag yet!
Bogie is a very bright puppy, but I can't pinpoint any ONE thing. For sure, he's not opening doors.....WOW! That's pretty cool!!
I think the smartest thing he does is OUTSMART US!!!! hahahahaha!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am always outside when MAX does this: he jumps up on door and LOCKS me out hahahhaaa I always keep the house key in my pocket

other day though i do NOT know how but he managed to get front door and then storm door open........so here i am walking Peanut and out comes Max and Beau running freely towards me :roll:

so does his paw just hit the knob just right? who knows hahhaa
and he knows how to open storm door though

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shelby could tell time, it seemed. My little bou got of the bus everyday at 4:15 ish and everyday at 10 after she stopped whatever it was she was doing (which was usually napping) and darted to the front door. I would let her out and she stood very patiently on the front porch till she saw the bus. When the bus stopped at our house and she saw Berg get off she b-lined straight for him and they had a little wrestle fest in the yard.

This is not so much smart, but how much fun she was. In the summer we go to the lake and Shelby would ride in the tube with Berg! Too cute!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It is so hard to pick "a thing". Yesterday, for example, I had put a bully stick in Dakota's crate. He was nagging us to play more ball and we were tired. I said, Dakota, we're tired of ball, why don't you get the bully stick out of your house and chew on it for awhile? Dakota dropped his ball, walked over to his crate and got the bully stick. DH shook his head and said, "It's just like talking to a human!"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie will open the storm door to the back yard by himself. He just reaches up with his paw, pushes the lever and pushes the door open. Good thing the back yard is fenced in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love this topic! Everyone has such smart dogs. Annemarie, I remember in a previous post you said that when one dog steals socks, another will take them and bring them back to you, as if to say "look what he's been up to." I love that!

Something funny that Wes has started to do is want to be "tucked in" at night. When we say " night night Wes, go to your crate" he goes to each of us for a hug. If one of us is in the bathroom or something, he'll wait until we're out so he can get his hug before going into the crate. Too cute!

G

·
Wow everyone has such smart doodles! Maya really doesn't do anything smart. She's pretty average but I love her!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
smartest things ALL OUR DOODLES HAVE DONE:
Trained US! hahahaaa

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My parents have a lab that pretty much feels like mine, too. Eliot is completely stupid. Wonderfully, sweetly, loveably stupid. He really likes to chase bird shadows. He'll look for the real birds and then look down for the shadows so he can chase them. It's ridiculous.

We always say he has "emotional intelligence."

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody cues on when we're about to leave him and goes into his crate without us saying anything. Sometimes he gets confused (like if just DH is leaving) and we have to reassure him that we're not leaving and he can come out.

But today he did something that I thought was amazing.

I was putting his booties on to take him out to potty and realized we only had straps to 3 booties. Deciding it wasn't worth my time to hunt down the 4th bootie strap, I took him out with 3 paws bootied. He did his business and then started sniffing (hunting bunny poo I think). It was one of those morning where getting his attention and getting him back inside was a bit of a struggle, but eventually he caught on and headed in. In the house I realized he had something in his mouth. It was the 4th bootie strap (I didn't know it'd been lost). And even better then him finding it and bringing it in - he actally gave it to me willingly!!!

Turns out that when the nanny let him out yesterday he returned with 3 booties. The nanny was able to locate the bootie, but not the strap. Guess she didn't ask Cody. :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Iris is wicked smart - my favorite thing is that she opens sliding doors, and if the screen is cracked open, she can open that too. I've learned to keep the back slider unlocked while I'm home during the day - she lets herself out to potty! Now if only I could teach her to close it when she came back in...

Sandy is a little slow, the poor thing - but he has learned to trick Iris into dropping her bone by running to the back door and barking like mad - she drops it to come see what the commotion is, and he scrambles back to steal it before she catches on. I'm not sure she really falls for it, but she does let him get away with it (most of the time).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts