Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question about swimming doodles reminded me of something I have been wondering about...

For those whose doodles love to fetch in the water, which toy (that doesn't sink) works best for your dog? Does that toy also work for chewing at times when your dog is not in the water or do you have to take it away from your dog when your dog is not in fetching mode? It would be great to find a non-sinking, tough toy that is easy to see in the water.

Thanks!
Mary

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is a tennis ball boy.........................
They float perfectly for him as he does not chew them up...........

·
Registered
593 Posts
blueteal said:
Denver is a tennis ball boy.........................
They float perfectly for him as he does not chew them up...........
Same with Sampson, a tennis ball works fine.
But we haven't gotten him to drop a ball yet and he likes tug so that doesn't always work...

·
Registered
593 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
I agree - we have 2 great water toys...

Kong Wubba

Orange fetch stick (we got the medium at Petsmart)...
Cute shots!
How can those Doodles see with that wet curly hair? Lol...
Looks like they had a blast though!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips!! We've looked at the Kong Wubba at Petco & Petsmart but I was concerned that she would shred the canvas off within days. It's great to know that it has worked out for other doodles. We will try it. That other orange toy looks fun too. We'll still do the tennis ball fetching too but I wanted to try something that would be easier for us all to see in lake water.

Do you guys find that sometimes your dog will splash at it's tennis ball once it places it on the edge of the water and the shore? My dog is not a digger, but for some reason when she drops her tennis ball at the spot where the water meets the shore, she starts paddling into te sand or mud, as if trying to bury it. I wonder what that instinct is all about.

LOVED the photos, by the way!!! SO cute!! If Petsmart posted those on the site, that would surely increase sales of those toys.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we use the water wubba also -- it is ONLY used for water retrieving and kumo is corrected for trying to chew on it. well, sometimes he shakes it pretty hard when he's bringing it back, before he drops it. but no shredding allowed! we also have a "stick" and a "football" made out of tennis ball material, and he likes those a lot too. recently we bought a rubber "stick" that is supposed to float, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet (http://www.ruffdawg.com/stick.html)

here's a couple of shots of kumo with his wubba, last summer when we went camping in the upper peninsula of michigan:

we haven't had the chance to find out yet whether ursus is going to be a water dog too, but my guess is that he'll follow kumo right in!

-em

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Funny, I was going to ask the same thing today!

We always just use a good old stick! But we were thinking of using something that is easier to see?

I like the orange bumper that Dex has, but couldn't find it at PetSmart!

I had the same concern about the Wubba... being chewed to pieces!

Great Pics guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
that orange fetch stick from Petsmart is great! We got one for Wally and our new labradoodle Lexi, and it is the greatest! Wally likes to carry it around by the string, flipping it around as he runs, trying to entice other dogs to "come and get it". It did NOT sink and seems to be pretty durable. We had an expensive "floating" toy sink, and thus far, this one is great.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jannie said:
We use a good old fashioned stick!

Floats great, and if she loses it we find another.
SOOOO TRUE! I've seen a $10 ball :oops: and one of the Chuck-it $4.50 balls float down the mighty Fraser River while my dogs whimpered because they were too chicken to get it for some reason. Then 2 min later they jumped in after a stick :wink:

The Wubba is good too but I'm afraid to lose it. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts