Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would be interested in ideas here too... Callie won't sit still for grooming either. It is a battle with a wriggling 55 lb dog from start to finish. SHe isn't hostile about it, but simply won't settle - she grabs for the brush, wiggles, etc. I suppose I can be grateful that she's an F1 with a fairly straight coat... if this were a wool coat, we'd be in trouble by now!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Treats and a helper!! :wink: I'm lucky, since I have three and they all scramble for attention, the only problem is when an extra head or paw gets in the way! :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We bought a really simple cheap brush at walmart. It has a pin like brush (like I would use on my hair) on one side and a smoothing brush on the other. I agree w/Gene - it helps to have a partner. My husband will hold a Kong while I brush (sometimes). Other times I will put a leash on Dexter and wrap the other end around my leg. He is getting much better as he gets older, but he still doesn't like it.

Make it a pleasant experience...keep your brushing sessions short at first and give lots of treats.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i am not much help as all 3 doodles wait to be brushed here hahhaaa

although i'd say it can take a week to 2 weeks for them to get used to it.
You can try it at night when they're more tired?

I just kept trying to brush them calmly, saying NO softly when they tried to bite it and i sit on floor when doing it or in a chair.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia hated being groomed when she was a puppy. but i groomed her every day despite to get her used to it and offered lots of praise and lots of treats!! i'd just grab her collar and persevere! i really think that every day brushing helped her get used to it - she stands still now! also, i think the brush was too stiff - maybe a softer brush would help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts