Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sherlock goes through toys like crazy. I got him the Kong Wubba last week, he's completely torn it apart. I thought those things were made to last. The nyla bones and those kinds of toys he shows no interest in. He loved the Wubba and I thought it was going to be a good one but he's already destroyed it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
162 Posts
$2 at petsmart, it's a chunk of rope with 2 knots on the end. He absolutely loves it. The solid Kongs work well with a bit of peanut butter up in it and some time in the freezer. He'll lick on that thing for an hour so we use it for a we're leaving for the day or a bed-time treat.

Tennis balls to (trying to teach him) fetch. GF used my disc golf frisbee the first day instead of my freebie give-away one right next to it... *sigh*

It might be worth your time to find some toys with a guarantee. Some advertise INDESTRUCTIBLE!!! on the package and some even stand behind it. Look online for some rottweiler or more 'hard core chew' type of dog toys.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie has destroyed at least $100 worth of toys :(

The ones that are super duper strong, like the Nylabone Galileo, she's not interested in.

It seems that if she can't destroy it, she doesn't like it. I have to say that the Orka toys take a little longer to destroy. She's also slowly working on a Nylabone fish (more of a flexible plastic) and dinosaur now. I don't mind if they don't last forever but it's very depressing to spend $10 and have it gone in a matter of minutes!

The only things that have lastest for months are a rope toy from Petsmart and her Kong that we put peanut butter in.

I'm getting to the point where as long as she has four or five toys, that's enough. I can't keep shelling out money for things that don't last or she's not interested in!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner loves his balls....rubber chuckit balls, fuzzy squeaker balls in animal print, squeaky football. He has a plush squeaky hamburger that he likes. He is a fetching maniac.

He has an orange frisbee-like rubber disc that he likes.

Other than that, he is not interested in toys...just likes to tear them apart. When he was a puppy he got lots and lots of toys. Now we just replace his favorites when they wear out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We've found treat giving toys to be best. They're slightly expensive, but, they serve many purposes. And they're pretty durable. We've found a lot of them through small pet shops. I'll post pictures later when I've got a few more mins.

·
Registered
83 Posts
one word of caution: if your dog is a chewer, rope toys might not be a good idea. My vet said if dogs swallow too much of it (or carpet string that unravels or yarn or floss, etc.) it can become a bowel obstruction. This very thing happened to my aunt's cat when he swallowed a long length of embroidery floss. The surgery to remove it was estimated at $2000 so he had to be put to sleep. :(

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
bones, bones, bones. and if they are hidden under something then maybe a destuffed animal of some sort. And tennis balls are outside only. if they sneak them in the house we get no peace. the more something costs, they less they seem to like it. their favourite things are cheap old toys they are allowed to destroy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Little stuffed animals with squeakers inside. Ozzie mimics people talking by squeaking his toys. It's hilarious! He has a fox, a rooster, a lamb and a cow.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Kong toys- We have:
Ball
Org Kong (Red- For Cacao)
Black Kong (for Beau)
Frizbee
Bone

and something else Kong...I just can't think

Plus the Tank Bone. The Tank bone is a life saver. Both my dogs love it.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kong teether, kong balls
CUZ (jw ) squeaker rubber toys ...bone and ball once ears and feet are cut off
THE TANK bones made by merrick

coleman Zebra, Lion, skunk
and a catpiller plush toy with squeaker and elastic inside which makes great tug-of-war games for max and peanut

oh the alien giggly wiggly sounding balls

my son's foot ball :wink:
soccer balls bought at thrift shop for $1

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Ours love the JW Cuz toys too. We don't leave them laying around all the time cause Kirby would chew the legs off, but as long as he is somewhat supervised, they last quite awhile.

Ours love the balls that make a giggle sound too...actually they are playing chase and wrestling over one right now (keep in mind we do have 2 of them) :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Callie (9 months old) has a Hurley (about 8" long solid rubbery fetch toy) and a Huck (ball-like solid rubbery toy) that she hasn't managed to destroy yet. Both are made of a material called Zogoflex, by West Paw. Pricey-ish (I think I paid $18 for the Hurley and about $9 for the Huck), but well worth it because they are... at least at our house... doodle-proof.

The same company makes something called a Zisc, which is a frisbee type toy made out of the same Zogoflex material. I haven't bought her one because Callie's not crazy about frisbee, at least not yet (and I'd rather she not do all the jumping and twisting, at least not till she's older).
They also make a treat-hiding toy called a Tux out of the same stuff. She's still good with her Kong, so I haven't bought her one of those either. But the Hurley and Huck are both good. And I won't hesitate to go out and buy a Zisc and/or a Tux if I think she will need one.

You can check them out here:
http://www.westpawdesign.com/catalog/do ... flex-.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fonzie loves anything that bounces or frisbees. He is great at fetch and return. My son takes him out in our side yard and hits tennis balls with the bat really far and Fonzie takes off to fetch. Great exercise! In the house he has a few "babies" that he carries around, a few that he chews and shreds, a few squeek toys and is loving a rubber ball type thing with heavy fabric woven thru with a knot on each end. He works hard at untying the knots and then pulls the fabric thru! He has shredded all of the treat toys that we had, so I don't bother with them anymore.

Nancy

·
Registered
20 Posts
We bought Gromit a Toy Buddies latex animal from Petco for Easter that he has yet to destroy. Everything else (except the Kong) has been destroyed. Toy Buddies has lots of Vinyl toys also but I think that they would be more easily destoyed. The latex animals were around $5.

He has a rubbery nylabone that he hasn't destroyed but he doesn't choose it much either. He loves the knotted ropes but we have to watch that so he doesn't ingest the strings. All stuffed toys are quickly destroyed and even his bed was destuffed all over the living room one night while we slept! We never let him play with tennis balls although we did have one that we got free. One of the kids gave it to him and within half an hour we had shredded tennis ball all over the living room floor (justifying my fear of giving him a tennis ball in the first place!)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas likes anything that can be retrieved! We have a millions chuck-it balls, or the Petco balls that cost $1... his favorite is the large Air Kong Fetch Stick!!! both love their Kongs, filled with kibble & peanut butter, and then frozen... They seem to be less likely to destuff plush squeaky toys if they are small... They love the 12" natural rolled raw hide sticks, I just have to watch and toss, before they get too small? Those knuckle bones are great, but they run around the house with them and drop them on my hardwood floors :cry: Della's favorite, is one that was sent home from the breeders house... it's a rainbow colored snake, with a squeaky on each side, it's about 3 ft long, with no stuffing... they play tug with it all the time, and so far, it's holding up!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll have to try the peanut butter in the Kong. However, I was trying to get out of "treat" toys. Not get out of them but find a toy that isn't a treat that will keep him occupied. We got him a tennis ball and my daughter made the mistake of giving it to him a couple minutes before she took him out to play fetch. He had it in pieces within just a couple minutes. We got fid of all the string toys as he was shredding them and I was afraid he'd choke on the strings amoung other problems he could get by eating them. I suppose the toys are cheaper than a new couch! My real worry is that he have something to play with while we aren't home (about 5 hours during the day) that won't make him sick or hurt him. The way he tears things up and eats things, safety is my biggest concern.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ari loves just about ANYTHING. His favorite is his Kong toy. He also has lots of squeeky balls and a squeeky wool toy and a knotted rope from Petsmart.

Though just recently (and I don't know why) - he thinks that my NICE Jockey Pillows that I bought are his toys!!! He pulls the pillow cases off of them (even the ones that are more difficult to get off) and he drags them out into the living room. He then lays and rolls on them. I think because the material feels so soft to him and it feels like his toys...lol.

Looks like I'm going to have to find different pillows that he won't steal from me! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts