Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to find a new vet.
The one we brought Sam to has NOT been very helpful.
They have simply re-filled his Benadryl and said to come back if he is still itchy in a few weeks... He has been itchy for MONTHS!
Also, we mention putting him on Avoderm and eliminating corn from his diet... The only reaction we get is a small nod.
They looked at his skin, said it looked fine, gave him a shot for mites and Benadryl and told us to get the second vaccination in 2 weeks. When we come back, they just give him the next shot. No re-examining his itchy skin or any other part of him.

What should we be looking for as we search around for a new vet?

G

·
I have been to horrible vet (Once :lol: ) based on many neighborhood reccomendations (Never figured that one out, he was really a nasty person!)
And I have found a vet I love.
You will just 'know'.
I knew from the time I booked the first appointment (office staff was unhappy and rude...first clue!), but kept telling myself to give it a chance.
If you don't do the intoductory visits (great idea but I imagine the vet would charge a nominal fee for the time), just make an appt and keep track of your own records. You should have copies of everything done for a visit anyway for your own files.

G

·
It is hard to find a good vet. My vet now is great with dogs and takes as much time as needed with each appointment. Of course that means most of the time she is running behind but as soon as she steps in the room with Maya it's all about Maya and me and she takes as much time as needed to make sure all questions are answered and I feel comfortable with the treatment plan. And she is like that with each of her patients.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I also am switching vets

1. i am looking for a vet that isn't prejudiced against
doodles
2. asking how long every vet in the practice has been practicing.
3. Does the new vet see dogs on emergency visits or send you to ER?
4. If you can't pay a large bill upfront (say unexpected surgery) do they do payment plans and/or do they charge 22% interest as some put it on a charge account
5.So they have experience with poodles and/or doodles

6. do any breeders use their practice?
7.are they TEXT BOOK vets or do they also use common sense when puzzled with a problem.

8. are they open minded and friendly talking about your concern
or do they just order tests and rush you out the door?

9. are office staff helpful friendly and a tad knowledgable?

10. if you leave a message and your vet isn't there will a different vet on duty call you back?

11. I CALL AROUND and Visit the different vet offices as well as
ask what they charge for various services

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
In addition to all that was mentioned, we needed a vet that could see us after 5 on evenings...many we called closed at 4:30 and that is not practical for us. If the place wasn't friendly, I would walk out regardless of how good they are. I like how our vet takes time to explain everything to us, answer our questions. We are often the last people there and are closing out the place, but they don't rush us.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm so blessed to have a wonderful vet. He listens to my concerns, is kind and truly interested in my dogs, take his time to figure out exactly what is going on and has been our vet for many years because of all of the above.

I do have a second choice vet about 20 minutes away that I've used when the usual one wasn't available and he seems very good as well. I do know of one closer who I wouldn't go to if he were the last vet on the planet. He's rude, tactless, rough and just not a nice person.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I agree with all of the above plus

We recently switched from a vet we really liked but she had such limited hours and if your dog needed to stay overnight you had to take it to their main clinic about 20 minutes away.

We switched to one that has several vets to choose from, always open..emergency hours and rates are from 8 PM to 7 AM.

They take walkins, have boarding available (important if you have to go away and your dog is not well enough for another boarding facility). They also have grooming which I haven't used.

If you have an Angie's list in your area you can see what other's say about a particular vet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I switched vets after the first one thought I was rich because I have a doodle! I'm not rich and didn't buy Nicky! He was a generous gift. The first vet's office was a zoo! The assistants did more of the work than the vet did when I took Nicky there. Their prices were high. As soon as Nicky had all his puppy shots I decided it was time to switch.

I now take Nicky to a vet who is very low-key. He has office hours during the week and on Saturday, but you just walk in. There are no appointments! I like the people who work in his office and I like his calm manner. His rates are more reasonable than the first vet. He also has several other doodle patients, so I know he's familiar with them. I'm much more comfortable with this vet.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I don't think I can add anything else that everyone hasn't already said. But our vet is GREAT. She talks to me and the ladies in the office love Cacao. They can't say her name but they love seeing her. I would say when you find the right vet you will know. And you may just go visit some around your area and see how you feel they would be to your doodle and you. :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I really realized last night why I like our vet so much. I took Kirby for a follow-up check up (from his poop issues last week). The vet realized he had mats under his ears and knows we have issues (Kirby is afraid of electric clippers). He offered to shave the mats for me. The vet tech came in the room with the clippers. Our vet literally laid down on the floor with Kirby rubbing his belly to try to make him feel comfortable while the tech clipped him.

I guess my point is that for me, knowing our vet really cares about the animals he treats makes me feel he is a great vet.

Just felt like I had to share that story.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We have been so lucky with our vet. We have used her since our Eskie, Fritzy, was a puppy. She has always been the kind to get down on the floor and roll around with the dogs, give them treats, etc. Fritzy was always a bit of a "drama queen", so Dr. Campbell always took extra time with her so that Fritzy wouldn't be upset or scared. She treats her canine patients a lot better than many human doctors treat theirs! She was so wonderful when Fritzy was ill - we decided on a Sunday morning that we would have to put her down. Dr. Campbell came to our house with her vet tech and put Fritzy to sleep in my arms in the bedroom where my dog grew up - and then wouldn't charge us!! (She still won't talk about it - she starts tearing up!)
Tyke adores her just as much as Fritzy did! She used to jokingly call Fritzy "BJ" (short for Baby Jesus, because Fritz was so spoiled!) and now calls Tyke "BJ II"!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Megan - we all were! (and still do occasionally!) It's just so wonderful to have a vet who is not only good at what she does, but cares so much about her patients (and their human patients!) I suspected that Fritzy had Cushing's disease, and when I had mentioned it to another vet in conversation, all I got was a snide comment about dog owners who think they are "internet vets!" Dr. Campbell not only listened to me, she BELIEVED me and had Fritzy tested - sure enough - that's exactly what she had. We were able to get her treatment that probably added a few years to her life - all because a good vet was willing to listen to an owner's concerns!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts