Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Buddy's "breeder" has sent me a few emails with his paperwork attached. His last one asked if I had gotten the emails. So far I've ingored him. I want to ask him what kind of a person much less a breeder would treat a dog that way. I'm so upset with him. What would you do - ignore the emails, write back the facts or scold him. I'm not sure what to do. I want him to know that his actions hurt my family, especially my boys, and deprived Buddy of a loving home and possibly his health or life. The other part of me thinks he doesn't deserve a reply at all. :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is a very tough question Angela...and I am afraid that I don't have much of an answer for you...as a breeder, I'd want to know what happened...perhaps I could even try to locate him...but given the fact that this breeder doesn't seem to have been too involved in proper training, I doubt that he would feel/react like I would...

·
Registered
56 Posts
angela, if I were you I would contact the breeder & explain the situation & tell him how you feel, but without jumping the gun or any accusations and try to remain calm with this man. I know this is hard for you, but don't give up and do this for Buddy's sake! Hopefully if or when you find Buddy you never need to talk to this man ever again & I would leave the past in the past and work on giving Buddy a whole new life with you & your family! Good luck, we are thinking of you x :wink:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I agree I would contact him but don't get upset and angry that will only in the long run upset you more (trust me on that one I know). But I would explain things and how it did effect you and your family and Buddy then I would try your hardest to let it go (and believe when I say that I know how hard it is to let things go I'm 49 and I'm still working on that one.) :wink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wrote back...

Ok - here's what I wrote to him.

I'm very upset about this situation. I brought Buddy home and he slept or watched cars most of the way. He's was doing great. When we got home my husband came up to the car and we tried to pet him and ease him into meeting everyone. Buddy crouched down and just started shaking. We put the collar on him and carefully picked him up and set him down. We were taking him into the house and he started fighting the collar. He worked his way out of it and ran off. He came back about 10min later all wet and had been playing in the water. He came to me when I called him but stopped just short of me and ran off again and we haven't seen him since despite fliers, radio adds and searches. He ran off like he was excited and tasting freedom for the first time. Every professional I have spoken with has said this extreme behavior is not normal and is most likely a result of neglect of some sort or another and total lack of contact or socialization. You mentioned that Buddy has not been in your care for the past months. Wherever he was - it appears it was not a nurturing environment for him during some pretty critical developmental stages. I hope you will look into the situation where he was staying and never put another puppy there again, especially alone. My children and I are extremely upset; and, the biggest sorrow of all is that Buddy will not have the loving home we had to offer him. There has been no sign of him and no responses to the fliers and radio announcement. Since we are so rural and bordered by mostly national forest, I don't hold out much hope of finding Buddy again. I hope he finds a loving home somewhere along the way. I'm worried that with his extreme fear of people and contact that he will never approach anyone or allow them to touch him. I hope he will be safe.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One other to do is contact all the local Vet offices and humane society plus animal control they will call you if he is brought in and you may have done this already but thought I would mention it. I just hope where ever he is he's okay. It sounds to me like he was really afraid of people for some reason. When you picked him up from this person how did he act there? Just curious?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Angela: I think that was very well said. Let us know if get a reply. It is so curious that a puppy would behave the way Buddy did. Bless you and your family. I know this has been so sad and frustrating for you all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a reply..

The breeder wrote back to me. I guess the upshot is that maybe he will become a more responsible breeder and learn from all of this with Buddy. At least he will break ties with this other person. Thanks for your encouragement.

Here is his response..

Angela:
I am so sorry.Let me explain something about our situation.My friend in this situation is only concerned with chocolate labs.He thinks that the only good dog is unseen concerning daily love and contact.Buddy was at his house.With the labs.I don't have the room to have them all at my house.I thought he was having contact with them and he assured me he was.Now I know he wasn't.I have all the doodles and standards I can handle at my house except for Buddy and his brother.His brother went to Greeley Co.
I have had to try to apologize one other time for him.So I have decide to break ranks with him and make sure all the doodles and poodles are here.Which means expanding.So that is what I will do.I have always felt his concern was mostly for the $$.Which if that is your concern you will go broke in a hurry.
I know saying I am sorry is not enough,but I am.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
wow, what a nice effort at apologizing. Personally I don't understand the arrangement this breeder apparently had with the other guy but maybe now he knows it wasn't a good plan.

Kudos to you Angela on how you handled this.

this breeder mentioned Greeley CO - is he here in CO? aren't you back east, or am I confusing you with someone else?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Way to go! It is horrible that you and Buddy had to suffer this way...but I am so proud of you for speaking up and for telling the breeder what you thought. Sounds like he has gotten in over his head...I hope that the expansion is the right answer. I'm with Maureen...I don't understand it...but then what matters, I suppose, is the fact that it won't happen to another puppy. I hope.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:eek:)

I've checked with the shelters and everyone I can think of. In the direction Buddy was headed there are only a few more houses and then national forrest. He's probably wild and free and hopefully happy. I appreciate the breeder's apology. I really feel he's sincere and very happy he didn't get defensive and try to justify Buddy's condition. I don't quite get the arrangement either but I think he has the Poodles and Doodles and the other guy has the labs. Maybe the arrangement was for this other guy to house the pups until adoption or just the older ones. I don't know but I hope the partnership is truely dissolved because the guy is awful to treat a puppy like that. Anyone who can look a baby doodle in the eye and not love and pet them must not be playing with a full deck. Buddy was from KY and I'm in Northern Arkansas in the lower Ozarks. Find the confluence of the White and Norfork rivers on mapquest and that's where we are. I'm going to focus on Cody and look at getting a puppy sometime after June. He starts puppy Kindergarten tomorrow! I'm also going to look into putting up an invisible fence. When I have to leave the house I put him on our upper gated deck. It's safe and there's lots of room but it's not as fun as the yard. He's just so fun. I was sitting on the floor petting him yesterday and this 60lb baby climbed up on my and literally sat on my lap. He's such a big baby. He can do sit, stay, shake, down and roll-over. I just love him to bits - can't you tell. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts