Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the Super Bowl when boxes and dishes of yummy food were left on the kitchen counter, Charlie has been relentless in searching for food/wrappers/anything. Unfortunately, he discovered he is now tall enough to reach the bread basket against the wall. :evil:

Anyone have a good solution. Wasn't it Gene who had a cookie sheet trick?

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I am very interested in the replies to this...Dexter has regressed a bit (he got to some hamburger buns 2 weeks ago and this has repeaked his interest in what is on the counters). He has started jumping up on the counter in our bathroom to try to get socks to steal too. We were just talking about trying the cookie sheet thing this morning. Some have suggested mouse traps but I am afraid of him breaking a toe :shock:

I think some sort of loud noise may be the best way to go.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
know what? it takes alot of work here training NO and OFF
Peanut has never countersurfed as Max in the past was great knocking something down and sharing with her.
Beau is at the "snif snif hmmmm what''s up there mom? stage! "
he just hit 7mos old

i am NOW wondering too if putting pots/pans up there is the best training method.

OK those of you with success please step up to podium helping us
dinner-less doodle moms out.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has never counter surfed either and being taught "off"
was very key for us. When he was younger the cats would knock
stuff off the counters continuously and Denver was taught not to touch anything on the floor without me saying it was ok. This took a lot of training and with the cats doing it on purpose, Denver heard the words off a zillion times. The cats were actually wonderful(the little stinkers) in helping me teach that. To this day if we hear something fall onto the floor Denver will go and see and then wait for us to come into the kitchen to see if he can have it. He never is allowed to have what has been knocked onto the floor, instead he gets a reward from the cookie cupboard for alerting us and for leaving it alone. Even if we are not home he will not touch anything on the floor and i have come home to loaves of bread etc. that are still sitting on the floor, the cats do not do it so much anymore
teehee.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon has never gotten on the counter, she'll sniff if something smells good, but doesn't jump on the counter. Like Denver, if something falls off, she'll look at it, but not eat it unless I pick it up and give it to her. She doesn't eat off the floor unless it's her food she picks out of the bowl and eats it on her rug.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Dogs don't like to walk on aluminum foil so for those that get up on the counter that might work. I use mousetraps under newspaper or wax paper so the dog doesn't get injured by the trap. Hmmmm maybe putting the traps in plastic bags will work :idea:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I use mousetraps under newspaper or wax paper so the dog doesn't get injured by the trap. Hmmmm maybe putting the traps in plastic bags will work
hmmm...good idea. maybe we'll try the plastic bags :) He hasn't jumped up on the counters in so long...many months (maybe even almost a year)...he's regressed recently. He stole the remote control from our bedroom last night and started doing doodle 500s around the house with it...my little devil doodle :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
someone posted on here that they put empty soda cans with pennies in them on edge of counters, noise stopped their dog, tape opening closed well so pennies dont fall out for puppy to eat

I have also read to put empty pie pans ( the disposable kind) along the counter, that the noise of them hitting the floor will scare the dog off counter surfing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie doesn't go on the counters, but the dining room table is another story. :evil: He's big enough that he can reach any spot on the table. If one of the kids isn't paying attention to their breakfast, he has a tendancy to steal it. He likes bagels, poptarts, toast, toaster streudels .........

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wfin73 said:
Charlie doesn't go on the counters, but the dining room table is another story. :evil: He's big enough that he can reach any spot on the table. If one of the kids isn't paying attention to their breakfast, he has a tendancy to steal it. He likes bagels, poptarts, toast, toaster streudels .........
I see your Charlie is a connoisseur! My Charlie just stole the plastic lid from a carry out salad. :roll:

I can only wish I had one of those perfect doodles that never touch anything. He does know "OFF" and will listen if I'm in the kitchen but I can't stand guard all the time.

I may have to set up the booby traps.

Deb

·
Registered
83 Posts
my Libby Lu has been countersurfing from day 1! (or at least trying to, but now she's tall enough to really reach things!) She loves to steal things off of the bathroom sink. she's taken my contact lense case, hair brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, and if there isn't anything up there for her to grab then she pulls the toilet paper off the roll! I have to keep the bathroom door closed!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I forgot about the contacts, Charlie took my case from the bathroom last week too. We try to leave the door open on the bathroom, but it doesn't always work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody is a counter-surfer. For a while DH had broken him of the horrible habit, but Cody has done a bit of regressing again (seems par for the course from what I've read here).

DH filled coke cans with coins, ducktaped them closed and used fishing line to tie the 4 cans together. He then ties an enticement to the end of the fishing line (a corn dog or something like that). The enticement usually gets Cody's nose interested and then when he goes for the bait, the cans come tumbling down with LOTS of noise. This of course scares Cody sufficiently and teaches him to not go after stuff on the counters.

We've also taught him OFF and that works really well when we're all downstairs and see him going for the counters.

Time to tie the corndog to the cans again.....

·
Registered
968 Posts
If noise doesn't deter him, this might:

From Dr. Foster and Smith catalog:

"The innovative X-Mat is a great tool to use with your pets to train them where they are, and are not, allowed. Raised bumps are uncomfortable to sensitive paws, so the training mat can be used to cause your cat or dog to respect the boundaries you establish. Use on or around counters, on beds, tables, plants, or in doorways. No electricity needed to establish restricted places in your home. Your pet will remember the experience and will avoid the area even after the mat is removed."

An inexpensive alternative that might work is that carpet protector covering (clear vinyl with bumpy underside) that you can get at Home Depot. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The pop cans with pennies worked for both my boys. Someone also told me to ignore when it happens and that makes more of an impact that they caused it, and you had nothing to do with it. I guess when they see the result and no one to comfort or protect them they never forget.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A trainer once told me that if you put a piece of bread or something with a bit of tea tree oil on it or something that won't harm the dog but tastes horrible to them up on the counter that will work. I haven't tried it yet but I think the loud noise maybe be more effective. Thanks for all the advice!

Manchego really likes to go on the counters and little sister Brie will happily follow along if she thinks she won't get caught. They've even managed to get on the taller breakfast bar when we were away!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts