Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank everyone for the answering my "first vet visit" questions. Ok so now Ive been trying to look at getting my baby insurance for vet care. There are a few out there and Im not all educated when it comes to this subject. So I was hoping maybe you guys/gals could share what company you use to insure your doodles.....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we had VPI the most expensive plan they offered on our dane. not sure if it was worth it, but insurance usually is not worth it. Thats how insurance companies make money. It comes in handy if something catastrophic happens, but for everyday things it costs more than it pays.

it was an easy company to work with and they did reimburse quickly so if you are going to get insurance they are a good one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Thats actually the one ive looked at the most. I was alittle torn between if i should get the standard or superior plan. But after reading your post I think I will go with the standard plan with the added vacination and routine care coverage. Which will only run us 20 bucks a month, not to bad I think.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think it is important to find out how much the insurance company will pay if a procedure is necessary. For instance what will they pay for hip dysplaisa? What if both sides are in need of care? Is there a cap?

As an example, I recently read about cataracts for dogs (common, especially in older dogs)...I heard that the best program at VIP will cover cateract surgery, but only slightly over $1000. The plan is over $300 per year...now, if ALL you need it for is this problem...it would not be worth it to me. But if you have multiple problems within the year, it could very well be worth it.

If you have a puppy from a breeder who does not offer a warranty, by all means it would be wise to get insurance...if you bought from a puppy mill or pet store, you would probably want insurance.

If your puppy is from a breeder who tested breeding stock and offers a warranty, depending on how much you believe in your breeder, you may not need insurance for certain genetic diseases as you will get your money back from the breeder if your contract allows that.

So, many things go into the decision. Personally, most of my vet fees are for shots and regular vet visits, and they are usually not covered by insruance.

Getting back to the cataract, surgery on both eyes will run about $2500...that is very expensive...but if you pay over $300 per year for a few years, you will save that money and can pay for it anyway...(since the insurance only covers $1000 of the bill.)

So, find out what is covered, consider how much you can save to pay on your own (instead of paying premiums, put in a vet care savings account) and find out how much they will pay for specific problems. Then find out the going cost...and decide based on the information you get.

Finally, how many dogs do you have? It would probably be best to put several hundred or a couple of thousand dollars aside since it is unlikely that something will happen to all of your dogs in one year. It is possible, of course, but if you pay $300 for each dog per year...well, you could save that and cover many different vet procedures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts