Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have been thinking about getting another doodle. And Cacao is ok in our backyard on a tie-out. But not two doodles. So we have been talking about putting of a fence. We have two kinds of fences in mind the normal. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Or invisible fence....What do you think and does anyone have a doodle with a invisible fence??

We are hoping to get the fence of whatever kind before the middle of May. So please share how you feel about each or point for both or whatever.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I am not a fan of invisible fence, sister had it with her golden retrievers and even with training and it being up on "high" shock they would fly thru the boundry if they saw someone or another animal then would not come back in, when they'd get close to boundry to come home would get shocked so wouldnt return to yard

neighbor had same problem with their dogs

also invis fence do Not keep out other animals which can be a threat to your pets/kids

we have a 5' chain link and love it, kids have a 5' rod iron and it's very nice also, friends have a wood fence and worked well for their German Shep

Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have an acre fenced with a 5' wood fence, works great for us.
We bought all the materials and did it ourselves to cut costs a little.
It was quite expensive for that large of an area, but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
6 ft. wood fence..i don t like having people or animal s disturbing the
dogs...

the min-pin is a digger..so we ve put concrete blocks along some
area s of the fence.. :?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Do you get a lot of snow? We put up a 5 ft fence and in the middle of winter it was only 2 ft high in spots. something to consider, I would do 6 ft+ if i were to do it again.

G

·
I have a 6ft wood privacy fence and love it. I am leary about the invisible fence. You could try it and see if it works first. I think they are much less expensive.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
You have a very nice yard :)

I'm not a fan of the invisible fence either...I know it works well for some people, but I would always be nervous. Our neighbor's dog busts through their invisible fence everytime we walk Dex or Kirby past their house...I worry the poor dog will get hit by a car some day :(

We have PVC (6 ft) facing the street and then black chain link (also 6 feet) down the side of our yard. PVC all around would have made us feel closed in (our yard backs up to a ravine) and is too darn expensive in large quantities :) Our neighbors to the side aren't too close (and we like them) or I would have gone for something more private.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Dave and I are looking into diong Chain Link Fencing 6ft high due to Max's agility jumps hahhaaaaaaaaa

i like the invisible fence but with racoons, hedgehogs, deer, skunks, fox and more, the fence link would be a better bet for us.

i haven't ruled out wooden yet though :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We're in the process of building more runs for the dogs. Our place is in the country though and we have an acre lot, so what works for us, wouldn't really apply to your situation I don't think.

We've bought 16 foot long panels such as you use for horse fences... it's 4' tall and very strong. Each dog will have their own 8' x 16' run. Around the top and bottom we put a single strand of electric fence wire so if the dogs try to go over or under they would get a shock. They touch it once or twice and decide it's not worth it... so they avoid the fence. We'll be putting up 4 runs right next to each other, so 16 x 32 all together, with an entry pen on the front so if any of the dogs would get out through the gate they'd just be in an outer pen rather than running loose. We're going to put 4x8 sheets of lattice around the outside of the runs to make them look better and plant vines on those so there's more privacy and a bit of shade offered.

We've got one large 32 x 32 run besides that we plan to use for dams and their litters, and are planning a viewing area where I can take the available pups away from the other dogs when people come to see or pick them up.

I bought the materials today, and they're supposed to be delivered for us tomorrow. My dogs all spend more time in the house than outside, but I need to be able to put them out and separate them at times, so this is our plan.

·
Registered
448 Posts
We have a wood fence that encloses the backyard. It looks like the fence that your neighbor has. Our subdivision rules only allow fences made of wood, not vinyl or chain link.

If I were you, I'd put up a wood fence like your neighbor's. It's nice having the privacy of an enclosed yard and it gives a nice background for plantings. Maybe you can use the neighbor's fence instead of having to put one up on that side of your yard. That's what is done in my neighborhood.

Tie-outs aren't something I'm happy with and I don't much like invisible fences, either. Someone up the street has both (they have 2 dogs).

·
Registered
670 Posts
im having a 5' chain link put up this week. I may have gone with the underground as its alot cheaper but after reading posts here there is no way i would, never put the kids thru the accidental pain!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
sessa35 said
P.S. I firmly believe good fences make good neighbors.
to which I firmly agree.
Our fence is as much to keep out the many dogs that run free here as to keep our own in. We frequently see a black lab, and a chocolate lab males and a yellow lab female running loose and a rat terrier and white German Shepherd males snooping around our yard trying to get to our females. So far I just call the owners and ask them to come get their dogs... since they can be fined and the dogs impounded, it gets more tempting each time to just call the officials and have them picked up. It's the same dogs over and over... and I'm just trying to get along with my neighbors, but it's frustrating when we take such effort to keep our animals contained and at home, to see so many others not doing the same.

·
Registered
659 Posts
A popular fence type here in New Mexico is the wood post/wire mesh horse fencing combination. With a big yard like yours, you can create a really nice custom enclosure, either rectangular or free form. And because wire horse fencing is see-through, your yard won't look like a 19th century wood fort or an industrial parking lot, like chain-link.

Wire "horse fencing" on the roll is heavier than what is usually classed as "deer fencing". My first Albuquerque home was a 1 acre lot surrounded by this type of fence and it worked nicely to keep my Australian Cattle Dog and Chow Mix inside. Once a year I took the power sprayer and sprayed the posts with a wood sealant/preservative/stain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have... all of the above :). We have 6 foot privacy fence along two sides - works great. We have chain link on one side, and I'd love to replace that with privacy fencing. Daisy doesn't jump it, but the neighbors on that side have three dogs, and when we go into the backyard, they all - my dogs and theirs - feel compelled to engage in competitive barking. Along the front (the part of the yard that faces the street) we have 4-5 foot picket fence similar to what was linked in the first post. Daisy can jump over it easily, and if I were putting in a new fence, I definitely wouldn't go less than 6 feet if the doodle is a standard size.

What we did was 1) get an estimate on replacing the chain link fence and picket fence with 6-foot privacy fencing, and then 2) nearly faint at the cost and decide we couldn't afford it just then. Next we 3) strung a bit of clothesline along the top of the picket fence - enough to create a higher visual barrier for Daisy, which actually worked - she decided it was too high for her to jump. It sounds horribly tacky, but you can't actually see it from the street, and now that the shrubs have leafed out, you can't see it much at all. It helped during the winter though. The last thing we did was 4) buy this invisible fence - http://www.petsafe.net/catalog/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=96&xc=16 - from Lowes, so that in case she did get out of the backyard, she wouldn't leave the front yard. It's a great product, I think - incredibly easy to set up, and if the dog does leave the yard, they don't get a shock when they come back in. We have it set so that she can go anywhere in the backyard and within about 8 feet of the street in the front yard. We don't leave her out there unattended, but we love that we can have her out there with us when we're sitting on the porch or working in the front yard, and when we took her to the beach recently, I took her fence with us and was able to set it up at the beach house in just a few minutes; it made the week go much more smoothly! Anyway, I'm a big fan of a strong wooden fence, but I think this wireless product is a real improvement on the buried wire invisible fences, so I thought I'd mention it.

A lot depends on what you want the fence for. If you plan to leave the dogs outside unattended for long periods of time, then I think a wooden fence is the way to go. But if you plan to just let them out and keep an eye on them while they do their business, then the wireless fence is affordable and effective, at least with my Doodle :).

S.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
What we did was 1) get an estimate on replacing the chain link fence and picket fence with 6-foot privacy fencing, and then 2) nearly faint at the cost and decide we couldn't afford it just then.
I almost feinted at our estimates too. I didn't realize how much things cost :shock:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
ChasP505 said:
A popular fence type here in New Mexico is the wood post/wire mesh horse fencing combination. With a big yard like yours, you can create a really nice custom enclosure, either rectangular or free form. And because wire horse fencing is see-through, your yard won't look like a 19th century wood fort or an industrial parking lot, like chain-link.

Wire "horse fencing" on the roll is heavier than what is usually classed as "deer fencing". My first Albuquerque home was a 1 acre lot surrounded by this type of fence and it worked nicely to keep my Australian Cattle Dog and Chow Mix inside. Once a year I took the power sprayer and sprayed the posts with a wood sealant/preservative/stain.
I did this for the two sides of my property that are shared with my neighbours, and made a nice wood fence for the sides on the streets (corner lot). My neighbour came over one day and said "hey, i dont like that fence" referring to the wire one. the other neighbour made a similar comment when i was constructing it. they both have UGLY chain link, old and not the nice stuff, on one of thier property lines and the rest unfenced with dogs :? . i prefer the square wire to chain link any day, but they seemed to dissagree. I just said I couldnt afford to do wood yet for the entire property, so i have live with the cheeper "temporary" option untill we save up. then i asked if they wanted to split the cost of a 6 ft privacy cedar fence and they shut up about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts