Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

This is my first message here. Nice to meet you all! We got our dog at a shelter this summer (the owners wrote down that they did not have enough time for her). I was wondering what you guys think about what kind of dog she is. Is she a labradoodle? Goldendoodle? Or something else? She is a year and a half old. She weighs 53 pounds and she has a chest measurement of 30" (I have memorized her chest measurement because I have found that her big chest is the one thing that keeps her from fitting into most dog clothes). :)

Here are some photos we took of her this summer.

She has a very curly tail that often curls up and around so much that it can form almost a complete circle. The hair on her tail is long and swishes like a duster when she wags it.

You can see here what her hair looks like when wet. She LOVES splashing in a baby pool. She rapidly rubs her feet against the bottom of the pool as though she is trying to dig right through the pool. We have also found while camping by a lake this summer that she LOVES swimming. She would fetch in the water all day if we would let her. She seems pretty scared of the bathtub though.

That was a little white dog who wanted to be her friend at the dog park. (This shows Annabelle's color and size compared to the little white dog). Annabelle wants to keep on fetching as long as she can. Then, she will usually lay right down in front of a water bucket at the dog park with her paws on each side of the bucket. She is the only dog at the dog park I have ever seen who likes to lay down in front of the bucket with her paws around it while drinking. She also often likes to drop her tennis ball right into the bucket before she drinks.

This is her upside down view. She doesn't have much fur on the underside (compared to the rest of her) and it is straight in comparison. She often loves to stretch out upside down like this. Speaking of stretching, she stretches more than any dog I have ever known. Even when one of us gets up from the couch, she will stretch right then before greeting us. She would do great in a yoga class!

Other traits: Rarely barks - usually only at the doorbell. She's motivated more by her toy than by food. Her fur gets knotted pretty easily. She had an ear infection in both ears when we got her, but now her ears are all clear. We have to clean them with a special cleaner once a week. My husband and I love her like crazy. She's a sweetheart.

Oh - and this is one thing people always ask us about her when they pet her. "Does she shed?" Yes, she sheds. But the number one question everyone asks is "What kind of dog is that?" I was just wondering what the opinions are about that here on this doodle board.

Thank You!
Mary

·
Registered
462 Posts
Personally, I would say she's definitely some sort of doodle, more specifically a labradoodle. There's one photo that made her look like a golden doodle. But given how little hair is on her underbelly, and how "short" her hair is, when compared to the other goldens I've seen, I would say she's a very beautiful labradoodle!!!

Congrats!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome! There is another Annabelle's mom here as well...wow, could get confusing. I am not an expert by all means but she definitely looks like a doodle to me. I have no clue how to distinguish a labradoodle from a goldendoodle though.

Regardless, you have a very beautiful pup!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ok ok, I give in... labradoodle!

G

·
turtleaut said:
Welcome! There is another Annabelle's mom here as well...wow, could get confusing. ...
And both Mom's are named Mary :shock: :D

Welcome Mary, Anabelles Mom II!

Anabelle is gorgeous!!!! I vote doodle... but maybe Labradoodle since she is not as fluffy as a Goldendoodle? Coloring is perfect for a Goldendoodle though. Gorgeous no matter what!!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
She is a GORGEOUS doodle - that's what kind she is! What a cutie! I guess I'd vote for Labradoodle too - Tyke doesn't have as much hair on her belly either. Welcome to the forum Mary/Annabelle II!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Awh....she is adorable!!! I vote labradoodle just because of some things in her that remind me a lot of Dexter (then again it could be poodle traits) :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
AnnabellesMom said:
Hi!

This is my first message here. Nice to meet you all! We got our dog at a shelter this summer (the owners wrote down that they did not have enough time for her). I was wondering what you guys think about what kind of dog she is. Is she a labradoodle? Goldendoodle? Or something else? She is a year and a half old. She weighs 53 pounds and she has a chest measurement of 30" (I have memorized her chest measurement because I have found that her big chest is the one thing that keeps her from fitting into most dog clothes). :)

Thank You!
Mary

Welcome !

Ooooooooooooooo This could get VERY confusing

Two of us with the nickname "Annabelles Moms" and we are both named Mary, good thing our Annabelles are Not the same color
She is adorable
:shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK....i finally get caught up on who is new and who's new doodle is whose and who's getting a new doodle versus a 2nd doodle and who breeds what kind of doodle

NOW i have to keep track of 2 annabellesmom both named mary? hahhahaaaaa

welcome Annab II.......and I say Annabelle is a F1 Labradoodle and NOT a goldendoodle , which is just my opinion . She does have similar coloring to Peanut but more of the labradoodle face and build. The coat? that is more labradoodel but then again Beau also a goldendoodle right now has more of the labradoodle coat which is waving up.

Doesn't matter...a doodle is a doodle no matter what type and sooo lovable!!!

nice to meet you and Annabelle is Gorgeous!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome from us also,

I'm going to have to go with my gut of an F1 Labradoodle only because of a couple of the pictures that is what my first thoughts were.

Doesn't matter really she is beautiful Labradoodle or Goldendoodle!!! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I Have a question or two

1. Does your doodle when running tuck HER head down alot and WEAVE almost like a slalom race when other dogs chase her or she entices them to play?

2.Does your doodle have to carry around a toy 24/7 in Her mouth even when going potty outside?

3. Does your doodle like to wag her WHOLE body along with her tail?

4. Is your doodle high energy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!! You guys are fun!! Thank you so much everyone!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your opinion and for saying the sweet things you said about Annabelle.

First - about the other "Annabelle's Mom". :) (The next message will be more about Annabelle).

The most shocking thing to me is that there is another "Annabelle's Mom" here!! WOW!!! That is not something I expected at all. First of all, I have never even known an Annabelle in my life - not human or dog, until recently when I took Annabelle to the vet and the vet tech said her children had a guinea pig named Annabelle (that was after I already named her). Before I named her, I played with our dog for days and tried out about 50 different names - just seeing what seemed to go best with her when I called out the different names, and none felt right until suddenly the name Annabelle came to me out of the blue & it just suited her. So, it's a big surprise that not only another doodle here is named Annabelle, but the ID chosen was "Annabelles Mom" AND the person is named MARY! I was even almost going to choose "Annabelle's Mum" as my nickname because my husband is from New Zealand and he called his mom "mum", but then I thought it might confuse people and make people think I am from overseas. Well, it looks like I will REALLY confuse people now by having the same ID and NAME as the other Annabelle's Mom! Whoops!! I will figure out if I can change my ID though to make it easier on everyone. Nice to meet you Mary / Annabelle! (You even spell her name the same way!!) I am wondering if we have anything else in common. That would be neat if we found out we have other things in common. My middle name is Lynn by the way. Yours wouldn't be Lynn too would it?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
If this is not a Labradoodle, I will be very surprised!
I have both...and with the broad chest, I say Labradoodle, for sure!
In fact, she looks very much like Dakota, Diane's boy. Very beautiful!
You are lucky to have found such a beautiful dog at the pound...and your pup was REALLY lucky to have been found by you!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know i am going to pay special attention to the annabelles mom AVITAR to make sure i have the right one hahhahahhaaaaa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About Annabelle (what type of doodle she is)

I really enjoyed reading what you all had to say about Annabelle! Again, thank you so much!

You all won't believe this, but the person that brought her to the shelter wrote down that she is an "Irish Wolfhound". Now, I didn't even know what an Irish Wolfhound was. That is, until I got home with my new dog and looked up "Irish Wolfhound" on the net and read that they are the tallest dog breed in the world. A volunteer at the shelter had written down that she is actually a labradoodle. So, I thought "Do I trust what the original owner wrote or what the volunteer wrote?" Then, I took her out the next day and right away a woman said to me "Is that an Irish Wolfhound?" and I really started to think "Maybe she is! Maybe the volunteer at the shelter was wrong and maybe she is not yet full grown or is some sort of mini Irish Wolfhound. Then, the next day a woman came up to me and said "Is that a labradoodle?"

So, I was confused. Either I had a dog that was full grown or I had a dog that was going to triple in size.

On her paperwork the original owner had written down what vet clinic he used to take her to. So, I decided to go by there with Annabelle and ask if they recognized this dog. Right away the vet tech said that the second she saw me walk in with my dog she thought it looked like a dog by a particular breeder (who she was not allowed to tell me the name) who was a breeder of "very expensive labradoodles".

I told her that I had gotten the dog at a shelter & I just wanted to get her medical records & I wanted to know if I could find out once and for all what kind of dog she is. The woman said to me "She is definitely a labradoodle. She looks just like one of that breeder's dogs. We have had many of her dogs come here. That breeder only breeds the special labradoodles..." and she started explaining labradoodle generations to me (which I was clueless about) & she said that they were the very expensive type. I wish I could remember exactly what she said about that.

The original owner's street name was also on the paperwork, so I told the vet tech the street name and she was able to find Annabelle's records. Right away she called the number on the records & I felt panic, thinking "I hope the original owner doesn't change their mind and feel sentimental once they get this call and ask for her back or something" but the owner seemed to handle the call in a very business-like way. The owner said that nothing was wrong with her, but that they just didn't have time for her. He gave the vet tech permission to copy her records for me.

Now, the vet tech did add some additional things to the records, and it did say "labradoodle" at the top when she gave the records to me, so I am not sure still if she wrote that on the day I was there or if it was written previously. She never did ask the guy on the phone. So, part of me has still always wondered "What if that vet tech just assumed she is a labradoodle and she is really something else?" Not that I care at all what she is. The only reason I want to know is that I just want to give her the proper care & I want to be able to tell people a simple answer when they ask what type of dog she is. We are asked that question almost every time we take her out. And I always say "We THINK she is part poodle and part lab, but we got her at a shelter so we aren't certain..."

One day at the dog park a woman who rescues golden retrievers told me that she is 100% certain that our dog is part golden retriever. She said "As soon as I saw your dog I KNEW it was part golden" Then, she started pointing out an area behind her hind legs that looked just like a golden's hind legs. Days later a couple told us our dog looked identical to their goldendoodle. So, I started thinking "Maybe the REAL mix-up is that she is a GOLDENdoodle." Or... maybe not...

We also have many people say to us "Is that a Wheaten Terrier?" That happened three times in one day recently, and we have heard it other times too. So, I started thinking, "Maybe she IS part Wheaten. One woman saw Annabelle jump up on my husband (she reaches up with her paws) and the woman said that she knows a Wheaten who does that the exact same way. I looked up Wheaten and Poodle on the net and saw a dog called a Whoodle. It was darling, but it didn't look like Annabelle. I can see why they say that about Wheatens though, but I do think she looks much more like a labradoodle than a Wheaten.

A woman brought an Irish Wolfhound to the dog park one day and that is when I knew with 100% certainty that she is NOT an Irish Wolfhound. Those dogs are HUGE!!! Amazing and beautiful, but MUCH bigger than Annabelle. Annabelle looked like a teacup dog compared to the Wolfhound.

I still don't get why the man wrote down "Irish Wolfhound." (I didn't get to talk with him, by the way; her call with him was very short). Maybe he got her as a gift? Or maybe he was a bit shaken and couldn't remember what type of dog she was? I don't think she was ever abused, but I do believe that she didn't get much attention. She was so depressed when we got her and would never even answer to the name he had given her. So, that is why I renamed her. I wanted her to have a whole fresh new life. I am guessing he probably didn't even call her by name much. She didn't know any tricks yet, but she was VERY WELL potty trained. I am always so amazed at how well potty trained she is that I still often praise her like crazy when she goes potty outside (which is where she always goes potty).

Anyway, I guess you can see why after having so many people tell me what kind of dog she must be, I just had to ask doodle people if they even thought she looked like a doodle. It sounds like you all do think she is indeed a doodle of some sort. Would goldendoodles and labradoodles need the same care? The bottom line is I just want to take good care of her. I guess I want to be able to find out what issues I should look out for throughout her life. And, if I am feeding her enough or too much. And, how often she should be bathed. Those kinds of things.

Thank you again everyone for all of your thoughts! I know this is a super duper long message and I still wanted to respond to some things that people wrote, but I will send this now and be back again later with more.

Happy Doodling!
Mary

By the way, when people mentioned "Peanut" were you refering to a dog named "Peanut" or is "peanut" a color used to describe doodle colors (like apricot)?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts