Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of coat our Lucy has? She is currently 7 months old and she has been shedding quite a bit over the past 2 months. It seems to be slowing way down and i was wondering if this was just her change in coat that I have read about. She is a F1 Labradoodle ( mother- yellow lab, Father- chocolate poodle) You cant tell in the pic but she also has a large gray spot on her tail and seems to have a few gray hairs throughout her coat. Let me know what you think! First time post hopefully I did it right.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/jmansmom/IMG_2655.jpg

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi! She is a cutie pie! Welcome to the forum.
I would say that she has a typical F1 coat and some people refer to it as a "hair" coat, but that isn't too accurate really...still I can't think of a better term for it either!
I call it an F1 coat...and I tend to really love F1 dogs.
All of my F1s shed. Not a lot, but they do shed. However, this type of coat is so much easier to care for! All they need is a regular (as in weekly) brushing ... and wash and go! The thicker, fleece or wooly coats need much more grooming and tend to mat if not cared for.
It certainly is possible that she is blowing her puppy coat, this would be the age for that, so the shedding might slow down.
Lucy is a darling girl!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland
Your Lucy is very pretty and Jac is right , her coat is
the easiest to look after. My Denver is the same as in
F1 Labradoodle but his coat is shorter and he has not
shed anything yet. He is 9 months old.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Wecome to you and the beautiful Lucy! Looks ALOT like my Jonah, also an F1!!

He too has been blowing his puppy coat. He's 11mo. I used the furminator on him a couple of times, and it's helping with the tumbling "Jonahweeds" around the house!

:wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hahahah
I figured you were lurking in the background, so I backed off
Bahahahahhah

The truth is that Denver decided at that moment to bark at everybody and everything that passes our house so I had to go see the commotion and when I came back, you had beat me to it.

Come to think of it that is the second time today that he is barking at everything. Is this something new a phase or what . Did Jonah go thru this barking thing???

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
what a bummer...i was looking forward to triplets again!!! :wink:

LUCY has a nice beatiful yummy chocolate coat if you ask me :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just like Cody

Your sweetie has the same coat as my Cody. He sheds but it can be controlled. If I take the time to give him a good brushing with his undercoat brush then I see very little in the house or on me. But.....I'm not that good so he sheds moderately. His shedding is nothing like labs I've owned. Probably only about 1/3 as much. Take the time to brush daily and you might not even notice any at all. Love that little face!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
max sheds minimally or compared to other dogs i should say.
I brush him every day if not every other day which really helps alot!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Lucydoodle :) Lucy is gorgeous :!: :!: :!: I also love that look and she does have a hair coat. Sounds like she is blowing her puppy coat and it could last for several months. Thanks for the great picture :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI nice to meet you Lucydoodle! Max has a real similar coat to lucy. and also did the same as your doodle...blew puppy coat for 2mos at almost an alarming rate and now has since really slowed down, max is almost 9mos old.

·
Registered
103 Posts
welcome to DoodleLand!

Frankie also has the same coat. He is now 11 months old and yes there are tumbleweeds all over the house. It has helped that I got him groomed last week and also brushing helps big time. Frankie also has gray coming in on his legs and throughout his body, and if you pull his hair apart it is lighter then the original black. I am thinking by the time he is 2 to 3 he will be more gray. I think he just wants to look like my husband.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK,i was reading that HAIR coats ones that are wavy, slight curls or straighter than others etc should never be shaved down , rather should be hand cut instead.

This was on a few australian breeder sites. and i look at max's and would have to agree. He could use a slight 'haircut" during the summer months

I do brush Max 4 or 5times a week. it helps get the fuzzies down and relaxes both him and me too. Last night my 19yr old daughter brushed max and could not believe how much he loved it and it seemed to mellow him out a bit too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts