Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 F1B puppies, most all of them curly/wavey coats, and then there is this little guy that looks like a Lab but has a strange coat. It is straight/wirery but yet has a wool undercoat. He also has a bit of a "wet dog" smell (more like a Lab) when I bathe him, unlike the others. Reading a discription on coats, I'd have to say a "wool texture straight coated Labradoodle"? Does this sound right? does anyone have a clue what I should tell someone on what kind of coat he might when older?? Is he going to end up with a hair coat?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
He is adorable!
Since he has an undercoat, you don't really know until his puppy coat is shed and his adult coat comes in...BUT...from the pictures and description, I think he will have a scruffy "Disney" look, with a wiry coat...not much curl, except maybe on the ears and face.
There is a misunderstanding of terms when people talk about the Labradoodle coats...let me see if I can explain:
Wool is not coarse...in fact, wool and "hair" are the same coats...they come from the Poodle. Poodles have wool (because of the tight curl) but are hair as opposed to fur, which means that they shed more like humans than like dogs.
A Labrador coat is generally a flat, coarse coat. If the coat is coarse, it would not be a wool coat because the wool is very soft...very silky.
There are times that I think the terms used in the coat are so confusing and misleading that it is hard to understand.
But, I hope that this has helped a bit.
I think that your pup resembles one of my first litter...here are pictures of him as a pup and an adult:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I love Echo! She and Dakota and Denver and all of the F1 looking dogs...Dave and I agree that F1s are our favorites...but since we can't breed Labs (Dave's allergies) we have to breed F1Bs...but when we get this flat coat, some people really don't want the pups! (Silly folks!)
Um, I would not call this a hair coat...but most people do...I think that is a mistake because "hair" is actually a Poodle coat. It IS hair, as opposed to "fur" that most dogs have.
It is confusing because to me, and most others, "fur" seems fluffy and more ... well, furry! And "hair" seems more flat...but I think that the hair trait in dogs actually compares to the low shedding, that the "hair" falls out like human hair, on occassion...whereas "fur" is shed...a lot!
Are you completely confused now? Me too! :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Great photos and these are my favorite kinds of coats
So to you breeders out there, do not despair as there are plenty of
people out there that do want the "Denver, Echo, Dakota" coat.........
My breeder has a fine business already in place but she does get people who have seen Denver and ask her for a "Denver Dog" because of his
temperment and easy care coat and they are fully aware that they will
probably end up with a shedding dog even though Denver does not.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too am a "Denver coat" favorite, something certainly has to be said for low maintenance coats...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
OMG Jac, I have 3 pups left to sell that look exactly like that one in the baby pic!
I will be thrilled if they end up that pretty!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
the1missp said:
I too am a "Denver coat" favorite, something certainly has to be said for low maintenance coats...
Ain't that the truth about low maintenance coat and not all of us have alergies so we are out here....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So.....he will shed??
Jac, the adult looks like my puppies mom, with a little more length to the coat,( but mom is black). Mom sheds but we have no allergy issues, and we love her dearly hairballs and all.
I just really needed to know so that I could level with prospective buyers and that he wouldn't end up being rehomed because of shedding.
Thanks for all the info and pics. :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think he will shed some but as I tel people I have never seen an F1 shed like Labs do and that says a lot if you have ever owned a Lab.

Jac your right what you say about Hair and wool but this is the way most people say it and understand it so that's why I said Hair coat I hope I didn't confuse anyone. :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, gosh, Linda...I never even noticed who was saying it...the whole thing seems so funny to me! I can honestly say that I have no clue what type of a coat the typical F1 has...I just really like it, fluff bunnies and all!

If I were a betting person....well, I AM a betting person...so I'd say yes...probably will shed somewhat...but as Linda says, I have never seen a shedding doodle with an adult coat that sheds nearly as much as a Lab or Golden. And, for me, the trade off is that they are soooooooo easy to care for! My non shedding beauties are soft and lush and oh-so-fine to touch...but they mat and I hate that! Besides, if you don't keep their "privates" clipped, sometimes you spend quite a bit of time pulling poopie globs from the hair! Yucko!!!

Plus, I think it is funny that we all love the look of the long, fleece coat...but we also, almost every time, end up cutting it off! hahahaha

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
even though i love peanut's shaggy wavy fleece coat i will say
max's Hair coat is the easiest to maintain....he dries really fast, doesn't have doggy odor, and is a breeze to trim every so often. he might shed a little but i don't mind one bit

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Straight coat is my fav.....so easy to care for! Miko will probably spend her life shaved because she has a lazy daddy who hates the extra dust from the little swifter girl... :wink:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the latest on the weird coat on my F1b puppy... the undercoat is coming in silky/wooly & wavey. Still think it will look similar to Jac's pup from her first litter?
He is quite the retriever.....his new thing is to steal one of my slippers on his way out the door to go potty!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Judy, You make me do a double take when you show pics of that pup.
It looks SO much like my 2 remaining boys. They're F1s.

This isn't the greatest picture, but does show the cute and crazy doodle coat coming in all over... very much like your pup. His coat stands up like that and is quite straight too. Looks like that one just got more of the lab influence.
I've sold 3 just like this so far, so there are people who will love it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts