Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tanner has started doing something that has me concerned. When we are walking and he meets another dog being walked, he becomes aggressive. He has never acted like this before....he has always wanted to meet and greet. He acts protective of Tim and I.

This morning he did this with a dog that was loose in its yard. As long as Tanner was next to be and his leash was just short, he was very protective. When I let his leash go out to its full length and started talking to the other dog in a nice tone, Tanner was fine and started darting around in the snow and wanted to play.

I have tried to put him in a sit but he is so strong that even with both of us there we can't keep him in the sit. He has done this even when wearing his prong collar.

Suggestions????

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Annie, no suggestions, but didn't you or Tim and Tanner have a pretty scary episode with an aggressive dog a few months ago? I wonder if this could be something coming from that?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Tanner was attacked by the St. Bernard. He didn't start this until last week but maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Could you describe what he does? Are you sure it's aggression and not wanting to play? Dexter will still sometimes cry/squeal and jump around when we pass a dog...it seems to be more with dogs that are younger so I totally think he just wants to play. My other question is: Does Tanner do this when the dog is on the same side of the street or when across the street? Kirby is very calm when he can meet/sniff the other dog, but when the dog is across the street he gets all excited and goes a bit out of control.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the same on either side of the street. Not friendly squealing and wiggling....real aggressive lunging, snarling, barking. He acts as if he is protecting Tim or Me.

If we meet dogs on our walks when Tanner is off leash....totally different. He is friendly, wags his tails, does the but sniff thing.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Annie how old is Tanner now???

as dogs begin to mature or near the two year mark Changes take place such as:

1. a 17-19mos old dog usually loses his fear factor and can wander at that age temporarily as they feel comfortable with their yard, environment, house, and paths they walk etc

2. another change is they can start barking as they're maturing and become territorial with the home
AND
3. YES they can also become protective over their family too, not being mean but like you described towards other dogs.
you can try training more or talk to a trainer where you took classes to see if they have any ideas.

Most male dogs as they mature may even try to challenge an owner too as they are trying to assert themself while also pushing buttons to make sure you're the Alpha still
totally normal behavior in dogs..........BUT it's up to us to show them what is acceptable and not
not always easy, but doable

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Is it possible that he is picking up some vibes from your or Tim? It's perfectly understandable for all three of you to be a bit leary of strange dogs after the St. Bernard incident. Maybe somehow Tanner is picking up on your uneasiness and equating that "short leash" as a cue to go into "defense" mode. Just a few months ago, while I was walking Tyke behind our office building, the "town wino" came up asking for money. I pulled Tyke closer to me on the leash, and I think she sensed I was uncomfortable and even she started barking and growling at him! That was the first and only time I have ever seen any aggression on her part, but I have no doubt she would have tried to defend me if he had come any closer.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
who knows what goes thru their crazy little minds :wink: might he feels he has no control on situation as he is on a leash so is showing agression to let other dog know he will protect you, telling other dog to stay away, when he's off leash he can check out the situation on his own or feels he has more control? I'd love to be able to read AB's mind sometimes

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dante is a totally different dog when confronted with any other dog while on leash. He will sniff and then start snarling. If off leash this never happens. I think it is a fear response more than aggression. The first being that he senses some uneasiness from me. The second is that he feels he can't escape if need be. We are working really hard on this - let him get that first sniff and then tell him "lets walk" and head the other direction and just keep repeating this over and over again until he can great nicely. Dogs that he already knows from the nieghborhood or dog park he will not do this with. I have got to get him over this if we are ever going to pass our canine good citizen test. Any one else have any good training hints for this one? With Dante it is not a phase or age thing as he has always done this. I probably inadvertanty trained him to be this way by being worried everytime a bigger dog approached us when he was a young puppy.

Heather

·
Registered
97 Posts
coincidence

Bodzin growled for the first time this week at another dog when passing.... and then he did it the next day too! First time ever.
Ironically, we ALSO had a bad encounter with a HUGE St. Bernard last week where I could have sworn the we were both going to get eaten while the owner of the St. Bernard was dragged behind.
Hummmmmm...... very odd that this happened to both of us.
I have been making Bodzin sit and then I pet the other dog and let Bodzin smell my hand. Then the other dog gets to sniff and then it has been all good in the three times that I have tried this.
He is 8 months going on 9 by the way.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the same issue with Manchego. Not ALL dogs but he barks and freaks at certain dogs. Sometime I know it's because he wants to play...when they are dogs that he knows.

I think since he did it a few times I started anticipating it and he sensed that from me and thought... 'RUH-ROH! Something must be wrong!'. I have noticed that I'm very focused on the dogs when I walk in order to get them to walk properly so for the past 2 days I've tried to look ahead and not at the dogs. That way when Manchie looks up at me he sees that I'm not looking to him to be the watchout. The pack leader will always look ahead and not at the pack right? Or so my theory goes. It seems to be helping but I'll let you know if it keeps up.

Oh I also tried the showing him a treat every time we walked by a dog to change his focus and gave it to him if he didn't bark. This only worked a few times.

Let me know if you all find anything else that helps.

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are also trying the distract with treat, try to stay calm, talk friendly re dog....only problem is, we haven't found any dogs on our last three walks. We shall try again tomorrow :wink:

·
Registered
385 Posts
DANG! Being a leader is hard sometimes... I just got really frustrated today. First sunny day in a while and EVERYONE in out w/ their dogs. Every dog we walk by my doodles are jumping barking etc.

I'm all ready stressed because we are going to Utah next week, maybe they are getting the stress and frustration off of me but I find it hard to be a leader every day.

:?
Sarah

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tanner is making progress as well.

When we approach another dog or even when there is one in its yard or across the street, I start talking to Tanner in a friendly soothing voice telling he that he is such a good boy...and of course showing him a really good treat. I give him the treat after a few seconds of his focusing on me. So far he has been very calm and has not lunged or barked. We plan to work on it a lot this weekend :wink:

I guess I should add that I am walking him using a prong collar with the plastic tips on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie just started pulling on the leash this week, too! I thought it was because she spent the week (we went to Disneyland for spring break) with her two uncles in the big city. I thoght that they just weren't as "strict" as I am but I am starting to suspect its her becoming more confident with her surroundings. Rosie joined our family almost 3 months ago and was quite shy at first. I am going to get some special treats for our middle of the day walks. The walks at 5 am we rarely encounter other dogs but at 4 in the afternoon everyone and their grandmother is out walking their dogs in the lovely spring weather. Rosie is 47 pounds and when she starts bouncing around and tugging to go play with another dog as it walks by my arms are getting jerked around. I also have Kayley with me so crossing a street with a crazy doodle and a crazy 5 yeard old girl is stressful!

I know I totally hijacked this thread, I'm sorry! :oops:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I had this problem with my last Lab. He would become extremely aggressive and protective of me if he was contained in any way. And then it got worse. I would caution you to get this in check right away. My Lab went on to attack my neighbor's very sweet Aussie because I acknowledged it with a pat on the head . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts